Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
S/O Ali Shopping. What’s the truth?
Previous  1  2

amother
Impatiens

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 9:42 pm
I bought a kate spade bag. it had the box and tissue paper exactly the same like in NY on the shelf

just saying to those people who are debating if it is the same or not

chili-n-cholent

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:52 am
I've bought the kids companies like Bobo and Carlijnq, the items are EXACTLY the same, with the same label, same fabric and same tag and same fit.
It's impossible it's a copy, they must be leftover items

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:47 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I’m clueless when it comes to styles that are from luxury brands
I buy the style I like
That being said when I wentEretz Yisrael (a few yrs ago) I bought a pair of shoes at a regular shoe store
The heel was in a flower shape, copy of FURAGOMO
Is this illegal as well
Or is it only illegal in the US.

Did it say it was a Furagomo specifically or a Ferragamo?

Fashion always has knockoffs which are inspired by other designers. High end couture fashion trickles down and is interpreted by less expensive lines. This has always been done as long as there were fashion designers - in the 19th Century pictures of gowns designed by Worth in Paris were sent to American dressmakers who then produced versions of it.

The issue is when the name of a famous brand is used because it is then counterfeit.

Prada was making shoulder straps for bags a few years ago with flowers appliqué on them. They were expensive and there were replicas sold by Chinese suppliers which were exact replicas of them and used their trademark. However anyone could be "inspired" by putting flowers on a shoulder strap for a bag and selling it so long as no one could confuse it with the authentic and they weren't branding it as Prada.

There is a gray area in which a specific design is so like the original that you can sue a company that is using that design. It is hard to win those cases because it is a gray area so it is mostly not pursued.

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:51 am
chili-n-cholent wrote:
I've bought the kids companies like Bobo and Carlijnq, the items are EXACTLY the same, with the same label, same fabric and same tag and same fit.

Its what we call counterfeit goods. Illegal. Theft.

They also fund organized crime and terrorism.

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:53 am
chili-n-cholent wrote:

Sewsew_mom

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:59 am
amother [ Daylily ] wrote:

And yet.. Unfortunately at least half the Jewish suppliers (or more) live off this.
Than people say support your local shops..
It's a no end battle.
I don't believe it's right or wrong at this point.

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 12:36 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
And yet.. Unfortunately at least half the Jewish suppliers (or more) live off this.
Than people say support your local shops..
It's a no end battle.
I don't believe it's right or wrong at this point.

Are you suggesting that most Jewish suppliers are engaging in illegal conduct?

And that its OK for them to do so?

We regularly discuss the minutiae of Judaism. Its OK to light at 4:16 pm, but 4:18 is an aveira. How much hair may show. How long a skirt can be. What happens if we use a clean milk spoon to stir a pot of chicken soup -- not just do we have to throw out the soup, but what of the pot, and the spoon. How much elbow, or collarbone, can show. Can we carry on Shabbat.

But knowingly supporting illegal activity. Stealing. Well, that's not wrong.

If the label is meaningful to you, but the genuine product. If the style is what you want, you can buy knockoffs. But don't buy counterfeit goods.

Sewsew_mom

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 12:40 pm
Are you suggesting that most Jewish suppliers are engaging in illegal conduct?

And that its OK for them to do so?

We regularly discuss the minutiae of Judaism. Its OK to light at 4:16 pm, but 4:18 is an aveira. How much hair may show. How long a skirt can be. What happens if we use a clean milk spoon to stir a pot of chicken soup -- not just do we have to throw out the soup, but what of the pot, and the spoon. How much elbow, or collarbone, can show. Can we carry on Shabbat.

But knowingly supporting illegal activity. Stealing. Well, that's not wrong.

If the label is meaningful to you, but the genuine product. If the style is what you want, you can buy knockoffs. But don't buy counterfeit goods.

I'm not saying they are engaging in illegal activities.. But they buy their merchandise from alibaba, aliexpress and wtvr other sites there are from China. Knockoffs and not. Sold on Amazon, in stores, all over the country.
Walk into geula and ull be bombarded with China knockoff. Seems people are still buying.

Happens to be I'm not a major brand name person. I don't think I own anything brand name unless it ended up in marshalls or homegoods. But I would buy from aliexpress because I've found great quality items for dirt cheap so what am I doing wrong?

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 1:39 pm
amother [ Lightgreen ] wrote:
some kids clothing are THE identical to the original brand.
I.e. Wynken, bobo choses, tiny cottons, MarMar. I heard they take the leftover fabric and produce more of the same items.

I just checked the tags on my kids clothing-
Mar Mar is made in Turkey
Tiny Cottons is made in Portugal
Bobo Choses is made in Portugal

These factories in China are NOT the same ones making the real brands. It is not the leftover fabric.
I also think it’s absurd to buy exact copies of the authentic brands. You’re basically saying that you just want it for the brand image- rather just shop H&M and Zara and not buy illegal knock offs.

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 1:46 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
I'm not saying they are engaging in illegal activities.. But they buy their merchandise from alibaba, aliexpress and wtvr other sites there are from China. Knockoffs and not. Sold on Amazon, in stores, all over the country.
Walk into geula and ull be bombarded with China knockoff. Seems people are still buying.

Happens to be I'm not a major brand name person. I don't think I own anything brand name unless it ended up in marshalls or homegoods. But I would buy from aliexpress because I've found great quality items for dirt cheap so what am I doing wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong so long as you're not buying counterfeit goods.

Let's say you want drab-colored knit bloomers for your kid. So you could buy name brand, and pay a fortune. Nothing wrong with that. You could buy no-name from I don't know where that mimic the style at a lower price point. Nothing wrong with that either. Or you could buy counterfeit goods, with the brand name, but fake. That's the problem.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 12:51 am
Sewsew_mom wrote:

If it has a TM logo or copies. Trademark design it is illegal and stealing.
Buying random items is fine - and great to save money.

Saw a women in a local store today with YSL bag. It was hard to nice the fraying and peeling edges. It was obvious it was a fake. It’s like what is the point?

amother
Junglegreen

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 1:06 am
amother [ Cadetblue ] wrote:
They are copies. Not same factory.
Some are good quality and some lousy quality.

To me it is stealing to buy it. I never asked a rav.
Once my son Asked me to buy him ferragamo belt.
And I spoke to him about it.
How would you feel if you built something and ppl copied and sold it with your logo and pretended to be you.
Secondly what is the point of wearing the logo - especially a fake logo. What are image are you projecting?

He agreed and didn’t want it to

To me it just feels like putting your self image above honesty.

And yes when ppl are carrying around 4000 bags it does look ridiculous.
how old is your son that he agreed so quickly?

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 1:19 am
amother [ Junglegreen ] wrote:
how old is your son that he agreed so quickly?

15 in lkwd

It inline with how we live. So for us it wasn’t surprising.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 1:59 am
I buy things from Ali but I specifically don’t like getting anything with a brand name. I got a nice coat for my son but there was no brand (already I didn’t see it) and slippers they are inspired but don’t have a name on them . Are those items ok?

amother
Cadetblue

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 1:55 pm

We finally called our rav bec my son now wanted a certain wallet.

He said the company that that makes it is stealing. It is not questionable if it is genaiva if they put another brand name on it.

He said buying it is a grey area. But he strongly encourages ppl to live honest lives and not buy stolen goods or engage in illegal activities.

My son accepted that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics