Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Helping my son furnish an apartment

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 9:50 pm
My son lives is in Kollel and lives in Boropark. He is married a few years and his wife is expecting another child soon. BH they found a bigger apartment as they are outgrowing theirs. The problem is that until now they have had furnished apartments, and this new one isn't furnished.

On a kollel and teachers salary, it's a bit hard to furnish an entire apartment at one time, yet they need beds, dressers, bunkbeds, dining room table, a couch (if possible). They are very minimalist, don't drive, and don't need much in life. But the basics are needed. Does anyone where they can buy affordable furniture in or around BP?

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 9:55 pm
Yad shniya what's app status constantly has people giving away furniture or selling it at a reduced price.

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 9:58 pm
Don’t know if this helps, but we bought most of our furniture on

1. Facebook marketplace (husband has for work so we used it) - we used to use Craigslist but it’s not as good anymore. My dining room table with leaves and chairs cost me $150, for example.

2. There are WhatsApp chats where people give away free used furniture. I have given away tons of stuff and gotten my kitchen chairs and two gorgeous sofas this way (and the people giving it to me thanked me for taking it!)

3. Don’t buy used beds or mattresses for fear of bedbugs. We bought bed frames from IKEA or Amazon (about $200 apiece) and mattresses we splurged from Friedman’s bedding in Lakewood upon realizing that buying cheap mattresses is losing money in the long run because they degrade so quickly.

And FYI I have a lovely home that DOES NOT look like a junk sale lol!! Once you have the big pieces you can spend $20 on an amazing savings vase for a centerpiece or splurge $200 on a sideboard from Home Goods and all together the whole look is very beautiful and elegant at a FRACTION of the cost.

So for example I would suggest they check

1. (FREE) yad shniya or free giveaway chats for tables, chairs, sofas, drawers, bed frames.
2. ($) Check Facebook marketplace and/or Craigslist. NOT sofas or bed frames - risk of bedbugs is not worth it!
3. ($$$) Buy new good mattresses (your biggest expense). This is a huge expense BUT will pay off - they will imyH last for many years and will not need replacement. Trust me when I say that $100 Ikea mattress is junk. Many bedding places will give you a metal stand for $50 or so? Or you can buy the Fjellse (I think that’s the line name) wooden bed frame from ikea.
4. ($$) Ikea has a great bunk bed for $180. Be forewarned that it takes time to build and you gotta be geshikte but you can ask handy friends or family to help decipher the instructions :/) they don’t look like heirloom pieces but they are sturdy and usable.

Hatzlocha and MAZEL TOV on the move!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:36 pm
They can sign up for the furniture gemach What'sApp group. Message 917-361-8268 to request to join. People post pictures of furniture they are giving away and other people who want the stuff hire someone with a van to move it forbthem.

liveandlove.ima

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:41 pm
imzist.com free or reselling

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 3:39 pm
Thank you. My son doesn't have whattsapp, so I requested access and can send him any leads.
No Facebook.
I'll check imzits after work.
How do I find someone to hire to move the stuff for them? Any leads?

choc lover

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 5:05 pm
Friedman bedding for beds and high risers. Good quality at good prices

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 8:23 pm
liveandlove.ima wrote:
imzist.com free or reselling

Just checked Imzits and it looks very promising. Do people remove their items after they are sold/given away?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 8:24 pm
choc lover wrote:
Friedman bedding for beds and high risers. Good quality at good prices

They are in Lakewood, right? Do they deliver in Brooklyn?

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 8:38 pm
I just ordered from friedmans. The high risers start at $500.
I believe they deliver to brooklyn.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries