Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Electrolyis or laser so hair doesnt stick out tichel?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 1:41 am
Anyone know what I mean? Usually there are patches by the neck and by the sides. Anyone done this and can describe the process? How many sessions? Cost? Which one is easiest/most effective? Did it solve the problem?

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 2:43 am
I’ve down laser to my hairline for this reason. I used to go fairly often. Now it’s about 4-5 years since I started and I go for a touch up probably 2-3 times a year. I’m thrilled I did it.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 4:57 am
According to my yeshivish Rav hair on the neck and in front of the ears is not head from the hair and does not need to be covered.

If it bothers you from a beauty standpoint than do it. Halachically ask your Rav if it’s neccessry.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 6:58 am
If this is an esthetic decision, go ahead. But given that electrolysis wasn't around for most of human history, it's a safe bet that Jewish women throughout the centuries had some hair showing.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 7:02 am
LovesHashem wrote:
According to my yeshivish Rav hair on the neck and in front of the ears is not head from the hair and does not need to be covered.

If it bothers you from a beauty standpoint than do it. Halachically ask your Rav if it’s neccessry.

Not just according to your rav. It's straight up halacha in the shulchan aruch and Mishna berura. Neck hair and side burns are not included in what you have to cover. If you wear a snood at your hairline (covering it fully) tuck it behind your ears, and let it fall naturally to nape of your neck, the hair sticking out by your ears and by your neck is not head hair that needs to be covered.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 7:30 am
Don't do this. The hairs you describe are not erva.
Laser in these areas looks so unnatural and you will regret it.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 7:57 am
Im guessing you guys haven’t gone gray yet. I had a low hairline and tons of flyaways and no matter what I did they stuck out of my sheitel or my sheitel slipped a drop and showed the front of my hairline. I don’t want to have to dye my hair every 2 weeks so that no grey roots are showing. I did some electrolysis and some laser and it was the best thing ever. Laser you really have to do before you go gray fyi, it doesn’t work well on light hair.
The ‘unnatural’ look doesn’t bother me or dh at all but I cover my hair fully so my more hours than I look in the mirror with it uncovered so even if I didn’t love the look that wouldn’t be a big deal for me.
It is very expensive, and painful if you don’t use numbing cream. I’ve spent hundreds of dollars and I’m not done. If you’re looking to do a lot you need to do laser, electrolysis is good for a widows peak or upper lip not the whole back of neck/sideburns.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 8:02 am
Chasidish. Learned that it is not erva. It may poke out. I did electrolysis since the hair stuck out of my wig and I shave, so it was ugly. I did by my ears as it came down low. The only reason to do it is if it bothers you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 12:07 am
Who does laser? A dermatologist?
Is there any shaver that I can use that is particularly good for back of neck?
I shaves the lower part of my hair (back of my neck) and it grew back short and it just seems all messed up now. Not sure I have the time and money to invest in laser though. If anyone has any additional comments. People look at you as less tznius when you where a tichel and have hair sticking out form your neck, side of ears.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 2:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Who does laser? A dermatologist?
Is there any shaver that I can use that is particularly good for back of neck?
I shaves the lower part of my hair (back of my neck) and it grew back short and it just seems all messed up now. Not sure I have the time and money to invest in laser though. If anyone has any additional comments. People look at you as less tznius when you where a tichel and have hair sticking out form your neck, side of ears.

That's sad that people do not know the halacha. Everyone I know who is yeshivish or chareidi knows that's the halacha.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 11:17 am
Im starting laser on the hairline. What do I need to know before? Hows the pain?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 11:25 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
Im starting laser on the hairline. What do I need to know before? Hows the pain?
Leave yourself a lot of time to shave. It takes me forever.
In terms of pain, I use a place that has the cooking on the machine which helps but the hairline is pretty much the most painful spot since it’s on a bone. It’s tolerable but not pleasant. Hurts less if you’re really meticulous about shaving.

OceanRider

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 11:39 am
Isn’t it Halacha to cover “most” of your hair? As far as I know an inch or two in front is fine too.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 4:53 pm
you will look bald.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics