Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is this unethical/wrong?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 9:33 am
Got a coupon in the mail for fifteen dollars off any purchase made in a (non-Jewish chain) store. Went to the store and bought something that cost sixteen dollars because nothing else there interested me. The cashier was being very sweet and friendly but when I handed her the coupon after she scanned the item, her face hardened and she brusquely finished with me.

Was I being unethical and wrong?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 9:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Got a coupon in the mail for fifteen dollars off any purchase made in a (non-Jewish chain) store. Went to the store and bought something that cost sixteen dollars because nothing else there interested me. The cashier was being very sweet and friendly but when I handed her the coupon after she scanned the item, her face hardened and she brusquely finished with me.

Was I being unethical and wrong?

So interesting they didn’t list a minimum purchase like $50 to go along with it.
But you did nothing wrong if they didn’t and the cashier can go fly a kite.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 9:36 am
Nope. The cashier was being rude.

You weren't stealing money out of her own pocket, so why should she give you attitude?

Brush it off and enjoy your new purchase.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 9:37 am
What could possibly be wrong about using a coupon?

My mil just told me that she was in Walgreens in Brooklyn when some (non Jewish) guy walked in, filled a bag with candy and walked out - without paying. She looked incredulously at the cashier and asked why he didn't stop the guy. The cashier said that this guy comes every night and just steals stuff and that if he tries to stop him, he'll get fired. Something about not being able to call the cops unless more than 800 dollars of goods are being stolen.
THAT'S unethical and wrong. But you won't find it making headlines.
If a jew uses a legitimate coupon though.... Whole different story.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 9:48 am
I don’t think it’s wrong but it does make you look cheap. I wouldn’t nessesarily do it when obviously dressed as a frum Jew.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 9:53 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I don’t think it’s wrong but it does make you look cheap. I wouldn’t nessesarily do it when obviously dressed as a frum Jew.

Huh? Why ever not?

The standards people have for us jews.

Nothing wrong with what she did. It's a personal thing wheather one feels comfortable doing this or not. Religion doesn't come into the picture.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 9:54 am
[quote="amother [ Lightcyan ]"]
notshanarishona wrote:
I don’t think it’s wrong but it does make you look cheap. I wouldn’t nessesarily do it when obviously dressed as a frum Jew.[/quote]

Huh? Why ever not?

The standards people have for us jews.

Nothing wrong with what she did. It's a personal thing wheather one feels comfortable doing this or not. Religion doesn't come into the picture.

I wouldn’t want to perpetuate the stereotype of a “cheap Jew”. I do thing people expect higher standards from religious people.

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 9:55 am
If the store had no minimum purchase, you did nothing wrong at all. The cashier was wrong and rude, especially considering (I am assuming) she is nothing more than a hired employee at a chain store and had nothing to lose by ringing up the sale (ie, she was not making commission on your purchase).

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 11:10 am
You were neither unethical or wrong since the store placed no limitation on the use of the coupon. You did exactly what they wanted the coupon to make you do - went to the store where you theoretically browsed and found nothing of interest except the one item. Presumably if you had needed or wanted other items, you would have purchased them.

Like other posters, I am surprised that there wasn't a minimum purchase but that was the store's decision.

The clerk was wrong and I don't even understand it. I would understand it if you were one of those crazy coupon shoppers I have seen on television who bring three loaded carts to checkout and have 200 multiple coupons and the poor checkout clerk has to deal with it.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 11:13 am
notshanarishona wrote:

This is not required and you encourage antisemitism by living as if it’s an ok stereotype.

SG18

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 11:39 am
Nothing wrong with this! I always use coupons when shopping.

CatLady

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 11:54 am
What you did was not in the last bit unethical. If the store didn't want you to use the coupon in that way, there'd be a minimum purchase amount. Next time, try giving the coupon first because it may make a difference in how things are rung up. *shrug*

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 11:55 am
You did nothing wrong. Why did she even care, if she's not an owner. I'm assuming this is a chain and she's a worker.

lucky14

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 12:11 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
You did nothing wrong. Why did she even care, if she's not an owner. I'm assuming this is a chain and she's a worker.

Exactly what I was thinking. Unless it was the owner why would they even care?
I've done this in the past and the cashiers have only ever been excited for me.
If there is no minimum listed then you did nothing wrong.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 2:30 pm
Neither unethical nor immoral nor illegal. You were a clever but honest consumer. You have nothing to be ashamed of or feel guilty about.

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 2:33 pm
She was probably annoyed that she didn't have such a great coupon.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 2:38 pm
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
What could possibly be wrong about using a coupon?

My mil just told me that she was in Walgreens in Brooklyn when some (non Jewish) guy walked in, filled a bag with candy and walked out - without paying. She looked incredulously at the cashier and asked why he didn't stop the guy. The cashier said that this guy comes every night and just steals stuff and that if he tries to stop him, he'll get fired. Something about not being able to call the cops unless more than 800 dollars of goods are being stolen.
THAT'S unethical and wrong. But you won't find it making headlines.
If a jew uses a legitimate coupon though.... Whole different story.

This is due to laws of SEDOM that protect Criminals - not honest Americans!

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 2:41 pm
You did nothing wrong.
In fact, I’d give you a Firm Embrace! (tm)

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 7:32 pm
you were in the right. she was wrong

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:37 pm
There's a certain store that sends me really good coupons. I stack them and can buy insane amounts. I once went, and handed her the coupons that came in the mail that month. She used all three coupons-even the one I didn't spend enough for-and when I pointed it out to her, she smiled and said, "happy holidays!"
I don't think I do anything wrong.
Another time I had a coupon for this store and it was buy one get one free. I assumed it was buy one full size and get one free, but when I got to the counter and showed the coupons (they're attached) she told me I can buy one of their travel sized bottles and get a full sized bottle free, which I hadn't even realized. This is a non Jewish chain store.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette