Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Is this weird?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:35 am
While I do not know what I am having, for the first time of our kids we do not have a "must use" name and while I think we have a pretty good idea of a boys' name, I've been thinking a lot about a girls' name.

I'm due right around a Jewish holiday and there are a few "obvious" choices for that holiday.

On the one hand it would be special to use my grandmother's name, my husband and I do not love the name--and its somewhat unusual.

Her mother's name has a name associated with the holiday I'm due around. The thing is I have a niece with that exact name. The niece is an adult already.

Is it weird to use that name?

amother
Red

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:01 am
My husband has young cousins with his name
We have nephews with the same name even thou they are only six of them
We have many grandchildren who are my cousins with the same name

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:07 am
Not weird at all.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:09 am
I vote not weird. Your niece is an adult, and your child will be a tiny baby. It's not like they are going to end up in the same class at school.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:09 am
Many families have multiple grandchildren with the same name. My aunt and I had the same name, though she also had an English name, and that’s what she went by.

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:11 am
I just made a post recently asking about naming my baby the same name a cousin has. We ended up doing that. And the name isn't even named for anyone, it's just one we liked.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:24 am
No, not weird at all. My daughter has the same name as around 45 cousins (1st 2nd and 3rd cousins) of all ages who are named after the same person. It’s a unique name and whenever she hears of someone with that name who she doesn’t know, she ends up realizing they’re related.
You can always add a name you like but it’s still meaningful to name after a relative who was a good person.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 1:00 pm
I'm glad all of these posters are telling you it's not weird because iyH soon we plan to use the same name as an adult relative- named for the same person. Go for it, op Smile

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 3:06 pm
Why do people think it's weird? The idea is, name after the relative. As time goes by there will be more generations quite possibly wanting to use the same name. I know first cousins with the exact same name.
B'shaa tova!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 3:24 pm
So the reason it might be "weird" is while yes there are plenty of multiple people with the same name among my family's branches--that's not it. It's that I never met this great-grandmother, so I don't have any real connection to her--whereas my other kids are named after relatives that I or my husband knew and my branch of the family doesn't have anyone named for my grandmother (I'm the youngest and the only one left to have a child named after her). I guess I want to honor my grandmother--I just don't love her name, is it weird to use her mother's name in this case?

geemum

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 3:28 pm
Not at all strange. We did similar.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 4:01 pm
I named after someone I never knew. Heard very nice things about her and it was a relative which is very significant.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names