Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Want to take a year off for additional training

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 11:27 pm
I’m currently working in a job that’s ok. Not great but ok.

I am very passionate about a certain aspect of my job and I want to get additional certification in that area, which would take a year. I could maybe work part time during that year but it would be hard.

I’ve been thinking about it for a few years already but keep pushing it off because I can’t figure out what we would live off of for that year.

The longer I’m in this job the more I realize that I really need to leave and get the certification in order to do what I’m best suited for.

Do I just jump in and trust in Hashem? How do you walk away from a job that pays the bills to go into debt for a year? (I have a big family ka”h and were in the weddings/tuition stage.)

Please don’t ask about what my husband does bc I don’t want to get into it. Let’s leave it as we need my income to live on.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 11:39 pm
Just for more perspective:

My current job requires me to do many different things, some of which I’m good at and some of which I’m not.
If I get this certification I could focus on one area that I’m very good at.
It’s an area that’s very in demand and would pay better than my current job
But I’m afraid of taking a year off and going in debt. I don’t think the increase in pay would be that much to make up for a year off.

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 11:49 pm
If you have a realistic plan to pay for your expenses for the year, I say follow your dreams. Sounds like you don't have it easy with your financial and marriage situation and even if your husband is a nice man, you still have a burden of maybe his health and the finances. I think you deserve happiness in a work environment you like doing something you're great at.
I do think you should discuss it with someone who knows you and your situation better in real life like a rav, therapist, reasonable friend, etc.
Hatzlacha!

ellacoe

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 12:04 am
Perhaps sit down and look at the actual dollars and sense. Figure out how much you will need to live in the upcoming year, look for some places where you can cut some corners, figure out how much your deficit will be for the year. Once you have a concrete number and idea of what this entails, it might be easier to start figuring things out and making decisions.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 7:03 am
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
If you have a realistic plan to pay for your expenses for the year, I say follow your dreams. Sounds like you don't have it easy with your financial and marriage situation and even if your husband is a nice man, you still have a burden of maybe his health and the finances. I think you deserve happiness in a work environment you like doing something you're great at.
I do think you should discuss it with someone who knows you and your situation better in real life like a rav, therapist, reasonable friend, etc.
Hatzlacha!

No, we don't have a realistic plan. That's exactly why I haven't done it yet.

Petra

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 7:47 am
Take a year and put away savings into an account for funds to be used during your year of training. And also look for a loan to offset the loss of income for that year. Maybe from Jewish federation. Non interest loan. And also cut all luxury items or most for now.

simcha2

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 8:07 am
Can you ask your employer to pay for your certification in exchange for you working for them for x years at x salary in return?

naomi2

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 8:29 am
ellacoe wrote:
Perhaps sit down and look at the actual dollars and sense. Figure out how much you will need to live in the upcoming year, look for some places where you can cut some corners, figure out how much your deficit will be for the year. Once you have a concrete number and idea of what this entails, it might be easier to start figuring things out and making decisions.

This
Do this first and if you can make it then go for it. Otherwise, I don't know if you should go ahead

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 8:55 am
simcha2 wrote:
Can you ask your employer to pay for your certification in exchange for you working for them for x years at x salary in return?

That would be the most realistic plan.
It would only work if I got them on board and they would let me work around my schedule for a year while I got the certification.
It would definitely benefit them long term if I got the certification.
I’m trying to work up the courage to speak to my supervisor about this.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:01 pm
Update (sort of)

The more I think about it, I really need to get away from this job for my mental health. Staying on long term really is not an option and the longer it goes on the more clear it becomes that I need to make a move.

The best way to move forward would be to get this certification so I can focus on an area that I do best.

I’m looking for practical workable ideas for how to survive for a year with minimal income. We don’t have savings and our expenses are high due to tuition. (We live a very simple minimalist lifestyle.)

justforfun87

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:16 pm
Long term this will increase your earning power so financially it makes sense to do the course. Tuition, speak to the school and lower payments? Apply for greater financial aid for that one year? In terms of bringing in income can you possibly take on student loans for living expenses?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics