Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How to make a cholent using chicken-what chicken and recipe?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 10:19 am
I'm tired of the regular cholent and want to try making a cholent using chicken instead. Which chicken pieces are best to use? I have chicken bottoms and shnitzel. I'm thinking the bottoms rather than the shnitzel. But will it have a very boiled flavor? And do I need to remove the bones?
So, in my head I'm thinking potatoes, carrot, onion, barley, (no beans) and chicken, with salt, paprika, tomato paste for spices.
Anyone done this before and it turned out well? All help will be appreciated.

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 10:20 am
I sometimes make chalont with chicken drumsticks, I don't take out the bone. It's delicious and soft.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 10:30 am
Best to use boneless, otherwise you have bits and pieces of bone and gristle to contend with. Whatever you do, don't use tops unless you enjoy pausing every two minutes to pull a little bone out of your mouth. Especially don't use tops if you're feeding small children. Major choking hazard.

Ilana Tamar

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 10:31 am
Been making a chicken cholent for years. Cutlets tend to dry out so I usually stick with chicken on the bone.
Because chicken adds less "oomph" to the cholent than beef does, you need to make sure it is adequately seasoned.

I like to put in a bit of ketchup or barbecue sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and onion soup mix. I also use a few cloves of fresh garlic, some sliced onion, beans, barley potatoes and, of course, the chicken.

Sometimes we also use turkey drumsticks or thighs in place of chicken.

Ilana Tamar

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 10:33 am
zaq wrote:
Best to use boneless, otherwise you have bits and pieces of bone and gristle to contend with. Whatever you do, don't use tops unless you enjoy pausing every two minutes to pull a little bone out of your mouth. Especially don't use tops if you're feeding small children. Major choking hazard.

I use chicken on the bone, both tops and bottoms but I place it on the top of the cholent for easy removal. This way, the bones don't get mixed into the cholent if the chicken comes apart. It is served to kids the same way chicken on the bone gets served to kids.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 10:36 am
Ilana Tamar wrote:
I use chicken on the bone, both tops and bottoms but I place it on the top of the cholent for easy removal. This way, the bones don't get mixed into the cholent if the chicken comes apart. It is served to kids the same way chicken on the bone gets served to kids.

This
Or I put in those net bags so if it does get too soft it’s not mixed in with beans etc.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 10:39 am
Ilana Tamar wrote:
Been making a chicken cholent for years. Cutlets tend to dry out so I usually stick with chicken on the bone.
Because chicken adds less "oomph" to the cholent than beef does, you need to make sure it is adequately seasoned.

I like to put in a bit of ketchup or barbecue sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and onion soup mix. I also use a few cloves of fresh garlic, some sliced onion, beans, barley potatoes and, of course, the chicken.

Sometimes we also use turkey drumsticks or thighs in place of chicken.

I’d love to hear your method on cholent making!
I do only Turkey or chicken cholent and looking for ways to improve it,

Ilana Tamar

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 1:58 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I’d love to hear your method on cholent making!
I do only Turkey or chicken cholent and looking for ways to improve it,

Not really a method but I will tell you exactly what I do. On Thursday night, I prep my cholent in an aluminum pan. Spray it with oil spray, put in sliced onion, beans, barley, garlic cloves, potato chunks, a few squirts of ketchup, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, smoked paprika and onion soup mix. I fill the pan 2/3 of the way with water and mix with a spoon so that everything gets evenly distributed. Then I put my chicken or turkey on top and sprinkle that with onion powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Then I cover it with foil and place it in the fridge where it stays until I come home from work Friday afternoon. (Usually around 1 - not that it makes a difference, but this way you get an idea of how many hours it stays in the oven)

When I get home, I preheat my oven to 350 and usually bake my Friday night chicken at the same time as the cholent. Since it takes the chicken approximately an hour and three quarters to bake, the cholent uses the same timing. After that I lower the oven to 200 and the cholent stays there until we are ready to eat it Shabbos afternoon.

The cholent stays covered the entire time.

Some weeks I use a crock pot, and I prep the cholent the same way the night before and just put it up when I get home. I like to keep it on high for the first two hours and then on low until we are ready to eat it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 2:26 pm
Thanks everyone, I'm really excited to see how it's going to turn out. Thanks for all your suggestions.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 3:35 pm
The bones will disintegrate from cooking so long and you'll end up with a mouthful.

Use boneless dark chicken with skin still attached. Everything needs extra seasoning. Skin needs extra paprika for color.

crema

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 3:35 pm
Chicken Chulent

4 pieces of dark meat, legs or thighs, or 2 chicken bottoms
Either 2 pieces of turkey ends, or 1 - 2 turkey wings
1/2 cup of Farro, rinsed
1/2 cup of Barley, rinsed
2 ribs of celery, checked, chopped fine
1/2 of a green bell pepper chopped
1 large carrot peeled and chopped into chunks
1 medium sized yam peeled and chopped into large chunks
1 large yellow onion chopped
1/2 can of Aduki Beans (get Eden brand at ShopRite from natural foods section), rinsed. A/K/A Adzuki beans, or another pink bean
1 cup canned lima beans, rinsed, or another white bean
1/2 can of garbanzo beans, rinsed
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1/2 tsp. Lior Baharat Seasoning (get at Bingo, Shloimy's, Gourmet Glatt)
1 tsp. Lawry's Seasoned Salt or to taste, or plain sea salt
1 tsp. Onion powder or to taste
1 tsp. Garlic powder or to taste
1 Tbs. Soy Sauce, opt. but adds color
2 Tbs. Potato Starch
1/2 tsp. white pepper or 1/4 tsp. black pepper or to taste
1 tsp. Sweet Paprika (I use Sweet Moroccan Paprika in oil)
Water to cover about 1 inch above ingredients

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Mix the farro, barley, veggies and dry spices with the potato starch. Set aside.
2) Use an oven liner for the crock and place in the meat
3) Add the beans
4) Add the farro/barley/veggie mixture
5) Add the water covering only an inch above ingredients
6) Sprinkle in the soy sauce
7) Twist the oven liner and tuck to the side
8) Cover the crock with several layers of heavy aluminum foil over the top, or oven proof lid
9) Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes
10) Check to see and add water to 1/2 inch above ingredients if needed
11) Retwist the oven liner and tuck to the side and recover with the foil or oven proof lid
11) Set oven to 200 degrees overnight

If making for more guests, just double the recipe and add more chicken and turkey. You can also make this in an instant pot first at 40 minutes at the meat setting on high, then put into the lined crock, and add more water if necessary, then cover with the foil and put into the oven at 200 overnight. If you can't find Aduki beans, use a pink bean of any kind like pinto, cranberry, pink beans, etc. You can also use dried beans instead of canned by soaking them overnight or using the quick soak method. You will have to add more water if not using the canned beans. The leftover canned beans can be frozen if not used immediately in another recipe.[u]

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 4:34 pm
Also make chicken cholent. I do it in a pot on a blech not a crockpot because we don't like it thick. I do bottoms and season it like I would a bean soup. I also put in feeselech and pipiglech which taste so good. My chulent is a light beige color and really delicious. I put chulent kugel and potato inside as well. Cover with a lot of water.

amother
Sand

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 5:12 pm
Sometimes when I want a change from cholent, I do chicken and rice in the crockpot.
Not all m my kids like it so I don’t do it too often, but it’s delicious!

Spray crockpot with oil,
Rinse 2 cups rice (or however much you need for your fam)
Add it to crockpot,
Add a chopped onion
Place chicken pieces on top (I’ve used chicken bottoms or a whole chicken)
Season everything,
Salt, pepper, garlic etc
I like to add a blend called Italian spices, like herbs de provence I think.
Add 3 - 3 1/2 cups water or stock.

I leave my crockpot on low. I have 3 settings, high, low or auto. I guess it depends on the crockpot. It’s the same setting I use for cholent.

I do it’s pretty close to shabbos. I don’t know how good it would be if it cooks from Friday morning.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note