Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Explain the designer thing to me please
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 4:58 pm
I don't get it. Why do people want to wear fake designer clothes and bags?

Why is this so popular in the frum world?

I understand that designer stuff is often superior quality etc. So if you can afford it- enjoy. I understand it to be a status thing for some people or an investment. How does that explain wearing fakes? What is the point?

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 5:01 pm
I don’t understand it either. Those who can afford it can usually tell the fakes. Isn’t it more embarrassing to be ‘caught’ wearing phony ferragamo shoes than to wear only Sam edelmans or no brand?

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 5:03 pm
I like the look of the Ferragamo shoes. I have some real and some fake. If the fake didn't have the symbol it would be better. I'm buying for the look not the brand.

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 5:11 pm
Maybe because they’re pretty designed.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 5:18 pm
I don't understand genuine or fake designer stuff, especially with the brand written all over the clothing. I think it's embarrassing (and not tzenuis) to wear a top with a brand name written across the chest area. So many brand name clothing look like costumes to me...... I don't understand how a skirt or dress with the brand printed on it in huge letters is nice and elegant.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 5:33 pm
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
Maybe because they’re pretty designed.

Interesting. Are the designed in a superior way and the fakes copy that so even if it's cheap materials it's worth it?
Can you give me an example of this?

( I'm not looking to bash, I poshut dont get it)

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 5:35 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
I don't understand genuine or fake designer stuff, especially with the brand written all over the clothing. I think it's embarrassing (and not tzenuis) to wear a top with a brand name written across the chest area. So many brand name clothing look like costumes to me...... I don't understand how a skirt or dress with the brand printed on it in huge letters is nice and elegant.

This. I am having a hard time finding a quality black leather belt because the real leather ones almost all have a silly logo on it. I don’t want the buckle to have the brand prominently displayed- I don’t need everyone to know what brand I’m wearing.

Bags are at least easier to find - I do not understand the YSL and Louis craze but luckily there are many quality leather options without any logo displayed on the outside.

And plain black shoes with “Givenchy” on it… I just don’t get the appeal!

amother
Acacia

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 5:36 pm
Don’t get it either. It’s not done in my circles. I personally wear my cartier watch with my target clothes

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 5:40 pm
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
Don’t get it either. It’s not done in my circles. I personally wear my cartier watch with my target clothes

This is a lot more my style and what I’m comfortable with.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 6:01 pm
High end designers have pretty designs. Part of them being high end is that they are at the cutting edge of design, the quality goes along.

Imitations have the same design but lacks quality or refinement but the overall look meets the standards lots of times. Fsure in comparison to the low end designers.

kenz

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 6:12 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
This is a lot more my style and what I’m comfortable with.

Why do you need/want a Cartier watch?

Zehava

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 6:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't get it. Why do people want to wear fake designer clothes and bags?

Why is this so popular in the frum world?

I understand that designer stuff is often superior quality etc. So if you can afford it- enjoy. I understand it to be a status thing for some people or an investment. How does that explain wearing fakes? What is the point?

To keep up with the shwartzes when you can’t afford the real deal

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 6:14 pm
kenz wrote:
Why do you need/want a Cartier watch?

Cartier watches are not flashy. You wouldn’t know what it was unless you got super close to me. They are also high quality and last years and years. I’m talking about 20-30 years. Vs a pair of shoes that get worn out, or a bag that’s just very flashy with the logo- why not choose a quality leather bag without the logo, or a belt that has a huge GG etc.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 6:49 pm
There are lots of "designer" clothing that one wouldn't recognize as designer unless one was very knowledgeable about fashion.

The items with initials - whether real or fake - are generally not worn by sophisticated people but the brands know they are profitable so they continue to sell them.

In general high end clothing and leather goods/accessories is beautiful. The materials are very fine; any patterns are generally quite beautiful; the styles can be either trendy or classic; they are also generally extremely well made and are more flattering to women because of the way the fabric drapes and how it is cut and sewn.

The leather bags are made of beautiful supple leather - again many of the designs are not recognizable to those who only know the logo'ed stuff but if you feel them and see how beautiful the leather looks and feels up close and the workmanship is quite high. Hermes bags are still hand stitched by artisans for example.

But there is nothing luxurious about a plasticized Vuitton bag splattered with initials or a cloth Gucci bag with the ubiquitous GG. The leather on Chanel bags is lovely but certainly only merits the $6000 price tag because of the CC clasp - ironically the "original" Chanel bag designed by Coco does not have a CC clasp - that was an invention of Karl Lagarfeld when he took over the house and resurrected its importance in the fashion world - and of course it is a huge profit center.

Chloe makes gorgeous bags and they have no logo. Bottega Veneta is famous for its old campaign - when your own initials are enough. Balenciaga and its iconic Moto bag doesn't have initials or any logos but its style is so inconic that it is instantly recognizable.

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 8:18 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I like the look of the Ferragamo shoes. I have some real and some fake. If the fake didn't have the symbol it would be better. I'm buying for the look not the brand.

Sorry I don't buy this at all. There is nothing so uniquely beautiful about Ferragamo shoes that it's worth buying knock offs. The classic flat is a flat with a bow.

I like designer stuff, but at least I'm honest with myself. I like the status, most of the money is going for the name, and I would never wear fakes.

Last edited by mizle10 on Thu, Nov 18 2021, 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 8:23 pm
I’m okay with name brands, but never liked an article of clothing, or accessories where the only design on it is the companies name or logo.
How can you call a sweatshirt with big lettering on it and no other design “adorable”. Would you get it if there was a different word here with the same font?

Zehava

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 8:27 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I’m okay with name brands, but never liked an article of clothing, or accessories where the only design on it is the companies name or logo.
How can you call a sweatshirt with big lettering on it and no other design “adorable”. Would you get it if there was a different word here with the same font?

ITA
I get so frustrated sometimes when scrolling through a website and all im seeing is this clothing with logos and names splashed across. My kid isn’t a walking ad thank you very much.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 8:28 pm
doodlesmom wrote:

It's only adorable if it has the word Gucci or Lagerfeld on it. If it has the word Gap or Old Navy, it's yunchy and nebby.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 8:33 pm
Why is it acceptable that this is a shabbos skirt and appropriate to wear at a simcha?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 8:36 pm
mizle10 wrote:
Sorry I don't buy this at all. There is nothing so uniquely beautiful about Ferragamo shoes that it's worth buying knock offs. The classic flat is a flat with a bow.

I like designer stuff, but at least I'm honest with myself. I like the status, most of the money is going for the name, and I would never wear fakes.

Thank you for being honest. It is indeed all about the status. All these excuses that the styles are beautiful, quality is good, etc.. are just that - excuses. There are plenty of non-designer stuff that offer beautiful quality clothing as well - and for lower prices.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics