Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Explain the designer thing to me please
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:14 am
Zehava wrote:
But regardless that wasn’t even my point. My point was they have no need to prove their status by flashing designer labels. They have the status either way. It’s the wannabees who drive themselves crazy running after designer labels.

Yes, this is true. Unless they happen to like a particular company and want to buy that brand.

amother
Yarrow

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:25 am
amother [ Bottlebrush ] wrote:
There are a hosts of shops in the middle range that offer fair prices and good quality. One just needs to expand their horizons.

But I must say its sound quite contradictory to button down on a specific feature, when you have no intention of utilizing that feature. The purpose of quality goods is for the purpose of having it last a long time. Why pay significant higher prices for a feature you'll never use?

Which shops/designers are you referring to.

And I do only buy designer items that will be worn for many years. I don’t buy trendy looks.. just amazing classics with no branding.
Maybe I’m the non personality disordered type.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:55 am
I find it very off putting when you see a refined girl with a huge name across her body. Like the thick handles covered in the designer name.
Many of the designers are antisemiticp or live lives they are assur and the antithesis of these girls snd they proudly parade around with their name actoss their shoulder and chest.
Sometimes I want to stop them and ask their opinion on the persons lifestyle or view of Jews. But I never would.

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 1:28 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Why is it acceptable that this is a shabbos skirt and appropriate to wear at a simcha?

That looks like a burlap potato sack wrapped with electrical tape.

And I don't get those ugly Louis Vitton bags. The ones with the tan background and brown initials. They just look dowdy to me.

Some designer things are very well-made, but there is a law of diminishing returns. I don't see what you get for a $6000 designer leather bag that you can't get from some nice unknown quality manufacturer for 1/20th the cost.

Some of the clothing is very well-made, but the mark-up is insane. There is plenty that lies between fast-fashion cheapo stuff and a Chanel blouse costing $1000.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 4:07 am
I would buy some designers things if I could easily afford it. It’s not something I want that’s much that I’d go looking for fakes or saving up money for, unless perhaps a jewelry item.

Also I personally don’t wear any clothing with words as I think it draws people to read them off your body. I don’t think its tzniyus whether it’s target or designer.

I will wear a northface sweater or coat with the small logo and small text of north face kinda thing. But that’s it.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 6:41 am
I love designer clothes for their superior cut, attention to detail, unique design, quality and patterns.
Im not talking about Tommy hilfiger style where it's all over the garment but I like the refinement of designers such as LKBennet, Sandro etc. If it has their name on the zipper I won't mind wearing it.

I bought myself a designer coat when I got married a few years ago for $350 (reduced price...) Still loving it. I get very attached to my clothes and it becomes part of my identity. I dont buy a lot but whatever I buy is quality and well thought out purchase.

Designers are more fashionable and less "trendy"- I can wear some things for years.
I find that in target, the clothes all look pretty similar-no unique design, stitching. I admire the people who buy there, I think it takes confidance. Or perhaps I am mistaken?

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 8:03 am
amother [ Yarrow ] wrote:
I’d love to see what you refer to as middle line products that are high quality. I like to see good materials.
Can you post some links. Maybe I am shopping wrong. I truly see a lot of garbage. Zara looks like a circus..
Banana Republic has some ok pieces but honestly It’s fashion wear, not high quality.
A designer piece will last years. Whether or not people are using it in that manner is not relevant .

Designer is undoubtedly better quality. I just don’t like having the brand name displayed. St John is beautiful, classic, sure to last for years despite changing fashions, and modest- because there’s no huge St John logo anywhere on the clothing.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 8:11 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I love designer clothes for their superior cut, attention to detail, unique design, quality and patterns.
Im not talking about Tommy hilfiger style where it's all over the garment but I like the refinement of designers such as LKBennet, Sandro etc. If it has their name on the zipper I won't mind wearing it.

I bought myself a designer coat when I got married a few years ago for $350 (reduced price...) Still loving it. I get very attached to my clothes and it becomes part of my identity. I dont buy a lot but whatever I buy is quality and well thought out purchase.

Designers are more fashionable and less "trendy"- I can wear some things for years.
I find that in target, the clothes all look pretty similar-no unique design, stitching. I admire the people who buy there, I think it takes confidance. Or perhaps I am mistaken?

In target, the clothing is not at all high quality and probably won’t last. I do find things there though. Like a sweater that matches my eyes perfectly.

I personally cannot afford to buy mostly designer so I don’t. I have a few pieces that I love- none of them with any logos- but I’m happy. I look great in my clothing whether from H&M or Bloomingdales. I just go for neat, fresh and classic.

I spend the same amount on my plain nondescript black comfortable yet classy flats as people who buy those givenchy shoes.

And I think the appeal of Gucci, YSL and Louis Vuitton bags drops significantly (for me at least) when everyone else has them. I love my leather bags with no logos on them.

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 8:23 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Well you don't like Ferragamo look. I do. Find me the same look by another company.

There's nothing inherently pretty about Ferragamo or anything else. We train ourselves to look toward the high end brands as special and therefore, to judge everything else by how closely they resemble those styles. But objectively speaking, nah.

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 10:21 am
I think people are lumping all designer clothing together.

There is a lot of "designer" clothing that has no logo or overt branding. If you aren't very clued in to fashion as well as being able to recognize superior fabric and other indicia of quality, you don't think of it as designer.

Technically all clothing is "designed" by someone on some level who picks out a fabric and a style.

Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein with their higher end stuff doesn't have labels or words or initials. Designers like Chanel and Dior don't overtly brand most of their stuff. They brand the ridiculous stuff like sweat pants because otherwise no one would buy them. However you can buy incredibly expensive beautiful cashmere sweat pants or bathrobes that have no brands for people who just love quality.

There is absolutely no comparison between an "expensive" article of clothing and one that is mass marketed at a cheap or even moderate price point. I know women who spend a lot of money on clothing and not a single one would wear something with a brand or logo splashed on it. Armani for example has amazing separates without a single name or initial.

Whoever actually purchased and wore that hideous skirt with Lagerfeld emblazoned on it is an idiot without a shred of taste. She is a joke

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 11:02 am
My question was about FAKE designer stuff.

I am sure that the designer stuff is superior in some way. I have zero issue with people wanting to spend their money that way.

Why get fakes though? To look like you spent that kind of money?

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 11:33 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Well you don't like Ferragamo look. I do. Find me the same look by another company.

If you can afford Ferragamo shoes, then by all means by them. This thread was not addressed to you.

Its addressed to people who buy counterfeit goods. Shoes that say FERRAGAMO, but aren't. To me, its akin to printing up a bunch of labels with a hecksher and sticking them to packages of discount chicken. "I like the idea of keeping kosher, and want people to think I'm eating kosher, but don't want to spend the money."

Similar styles?

https://www.macys.com/shop/pro.....D_BwE

(I own a similar pair that I bought a couple of years ago on clearance. They're not leather, but they are seriously the most comfortable pair of shoes that I have ever put on my feet. Now that I found these, I may buy a pair. Or 3. So I never have to wear other black flats for the rest of my life.)

https://www.stuartweitzman.com.....p=PLA|ACQ|GOOG|STND|c|SITEWIDE|Outlet|PLA_Generic_Outlet|PLA_Generic_Outlet||11378343026|111766986416|US&gclid=CjwKCAiAs92MBhAXEiwAXTi255HHy8MzDJgfqSQVSFUcMBsmw79IL9b3bORqiCRm_4rcKfwc2BFHHBoCi9oQAvD_BwE

https://www.nordstromrack.com/.....aw.ds

https://www.zappos.com/p/cole-.....ment=

https://www.shopbop.com/felici.....id=AL!3510!3!91203698417!!!g!67203230646!!422345537!26946998177&gclid=CjwKCAiAs92MBhAXEiwAXTi25w-pSY6BVgBYAVDlEdMQN_DuDeA85M62CO36sxagIWtrEHuK7WGdYRoCSK0QAvD_BwE
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics