Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
My unorthodox life-season 2
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Sage

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 8:00 pm
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
True
But I know plenty of people who do certain things on Shabbos like rip toilet paper or go swimming but they don’t drive or turn on electronics etc

And they eat some food (vegetables and maybe other things, not sure) in non kosher restaurants but would never eat non kosher meal or milk and meat together.

Wives don’t dress tznius and the men wear yarmulkes only in shul or when eating.

Don't want to derail the thread, but it's very different if such a person is doing so out of a lack of understanding and knowledge (someone who grew up in a home with little yiddeshkeit) vs. someone who grew up in a frum home and decided to lower their standard and "pick and choose".
Ripping toilet paper is no less assur than turning on the light. It's plain misguided.
Of course if someone is doing this out of a desire to be good and just doesn't know better, I'm sure that they will get tremendous schar. But a frum yid thinking this kind of "yidishkiet" is real??

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 8:45 pm
amother [ Sage ] wrote:
Don't want to derail the thread, but it's very different if such a person is doing so out of a lack of understanding and knowledge (someone who grew up in a home with little yiddeshkeit) vs. someone who grew up in a frum home and decided to lower their standard and "pick and choose".
Ripping toilet paper is no less assur than turning on the light. It's plain misguided.
Of course if someone is doing this out of a desire to be good and just doesn't know better, I'm sure that they will get tremendous schar. But a frum yid thinking this kind of "yidishkiet" is real??

Good point, and I don’t know how much they know or don’t know. I’m not here to judge. These are people who consider themselves orthodox Jewish and are part of the community.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 9:08 pm
amother [ Sage ] wrote:

I I know it's surprising- but actually there are ways that it's possible and allowed to rip toilet paper. Fyi.

amother
Navyblue

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 9:45 pm
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
Good point, and I don’t know how much they know or don’t know. I’m not here to judge. These are people who consider themselves orthodox Jewish and are part of the community.

He knows as much as me and you. Look at their Shana rishona pictures. They were a regular Kollel couple living in arzei like a million other American couples. I think he learnt in the mir.
Talia leibov went to by of monsey and the top sem in e”y. She raised her family knowing how to keep Halacha

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 9:46 pm
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
He knows as much as me and you. Look at their Shana rishona pictures. They were a regular Kollel couple living in arzei like a million other American couples. I think he learnt in the mir.
Talia leibov went to by of monsey and the top sem in e”y. She raised her family knowing how to keep Halacha

I’m taking about the people in my life, not the people on the show.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 10:07 pm
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:
He gave her a get. You think she would throw away her marriage if she had any thought that this was a phase?

Was any Rabbi's name mentioned anywhere?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 10:12 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
so then they cant claim to be shomer shabbos no?
they can see they keep as much as they can, theyre trying... but to say there are different levels of halacha is like saying its a choice about what you can keep and not keep.

I grew up like this... eating kosher meat out of the house but would eat non kosher dairy out, would watch tv if it was on, eat pareve stuff at mcdonalds... you cant really pick and choose. looking back, I wasnt shomer shabbos

How can you compare eating non kosher food to watching tv that was left on before Shabbos ? Scratching Head

pause

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 10:44 pm
OK, I changed my mind. It's all a ploy to get us to watch season 2. Their separation will be the main theme. What they will actually do IRL is impossible to know because their whole life is a show, so it's hard to differentiate between the real person and the TV character.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:50 pm

he learned in kollel? when did they mention that?

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:50 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
How can you compare eating non kosher food to watching tv that was left on before Shabbos ? Scratching Head

k bad example but im just writing things I did growing up...

amother
Navyblue

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:12 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
he learned in kollel? when did they mention that?

They don’t have to mention on show.everyone who knows them knows.
They lived in arzei

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:27 am
pause wrote:
OK, I changed my mind. It's all a ploy to get us to watch season 2. Their separation will be the main theme. What they will actually do IRL is impossible to know because their whole life is a show, so it's hard to differentiate between the real person and the TV character.

I agree. It's no coincidence that their breakup happened between seasons.

They know the show is dumb and will get boring fast. This is a way to get people interested again.

I have no intention of watching it but I am totally reading spoilers. They got me to some extent also.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:28 am
They don’t have to mention on show.everyone who knows them knows.
They lived in arzei

she didnt look so tznius when she was frum to make me think they lived in arzei...
she posted a slideshow of pics and she was wearing short, tight denim skirts, and things that my HS friends wear (more modern circles)...

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 6:50 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
she didnt look so tznius when she was frum to make me think they lived in arzei...
she posted a slideshow of pics and she was wearing short, tight denim skirts, and things that my HS friends wear (more modern circles)...

She dressed like that before marriage, too, but so did a lot of our bais Yaakov monsey classmates/her friends dress like that, too.
They weren't a yeshivish kollel couple, they were a kollel couple nonetheless.

rikkik

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 8:21 am
pause wrote:

I AGREE. they prob planned this separation by season 1

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 8:54 am
If this is planned they are making a mistake. Without Ben, bat will probably be even less religious. The only thing that makes this show interesting is the religious aspect. Without it, they are like wannabe kardashians.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics