Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Urgent: need advice re: cleaning lady
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 6:15 am
Need to go about this in a smart way. My head is spinning!!!
Had a live in lady for a few years. She proved herself to be extremely trustworthy. She never in alll her years turned on a flame herself or did anything questionable kashrus wise. There were years I had a baby home with her and she was great. Now she just cleans.
I have a business at home and family members who live local who are constantly popping in and out of the house.
Found a purse on the table this morn and figured someone left it behind. I opened it up and it was the Cleaning lady’s and in there I found 2 of my blank checks folded up into 4. I have no idea what to think or how to proceed. She’s been around money from the business for years and never touched a cent that wasn’t hers.
Pls help advice ASAP

octopus

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 6:19 am
She's stealing from you. Probably all these years too. Just she did it in a very unnoticeable way.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 6:21 am
Omg!! My worst fear - I hide everything from my housekeeper

I never trust my her, it's such a horrible feeling but confront her, take those checks out of her bag and fire her!! 😔

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 6:21 am
octopus wrote:
She's stealing from you. Probably all these years too. Just she did it in a very unnoticeable way.

Why blank checks? Never use checks so quickly checked my online banking and nothing suspicious

SYA

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 6:24 am
Get shomrim and police involved. They can tell you how to "catch her" and have her arrested. They can then interrogate if she took anything else and what.

It needs to be done today before she realizes the game's up and tries to run

happy chick

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 6:39 am
I would say be upfront with her and tell her exactly what happened. Put her on the spot and see what she says.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 6:47 am
Isn’t it possible she found them and put them aside for safekeeping?

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 6:51 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Isn’t it possible she found them and put them aside for safekeeping?

In her purse?

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 6:52 am
happy chick wrote:
I would say be upfront with her and tell her exactly what happened. Put her on the spot and see what she says.

Agree.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 6:53 am
Oy. Sorry OP. I know the feeling of betrayal from cleaning help is hard.
Hatzlacha!
I don't think there's a way to be Dan l'kaf zechus. And I agree that she probably stole in the past but you haven't noticed.

4g01o

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 7:03 am
Is it possible that someone thought it was your purse and put them there?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 7:29 am
DH called our shul Rav for guidance.
(Que the - “do u call your Rav for everything thread)
He said we should leave the checks in there and put an alert on the account and freeze it.
She’s going away next week for a few weeks a found new a replacement temporarily. If in a few weeks nothing has happened with the checks I’ll consider letting her back.. let see. I also know the check numbers so that helps..

Mindfully

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 7:38 am
Are you sure you never gave her checks to pay for a repair or delivery while you were out? Ask your dh! Did you give her the checks to go shopping?
If not,n then it's very suspicious

amother
Dustypink

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 8:02 am
You're very lucky she happens to be going away for a while. It seems obvious she intended to steal. I've heard a few stories of loyal cleaning ladies whose parting gift was a theft on their last day. Maybe she had no intention of coming back. That just happened to a friend of mine, cleaning lady left on a short vacation and never came back.
No way would I confront her or let on I noticed those checks. You want to protect yourself by giving her a chance to prove she's a thief if she is one.
If you read cleaning lady threads here you'll notice there's a big bias in favor of cleaning help. What you'll read is: be kind, pay them well, they're good people. I agree with the first two, of course be kind and pay an honest wage, but never fool yourself into thinking they're necessarily good people. Some are, some are not. Be considerate and treat them as you'd want to be treated as an employee, but keep your eyes open and don't be overly trusting.
What your Rav suggested is perfect, not that your rav needs my approval. You can monitor activity on your account and you'll find out soon enough if she intended to steal or if this was some kind of strange mix up.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 8:07 am
MiracleMama wrote:
In her purse?

Why is that so crazy? If I had to put money aside I would put it there too. I don’t know, if you’ve had her for years and trust her, I really think there could be another explanation here!

amother
Cherry

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 8:07 am
Even if you have a cleaning lady for years YOU CAN NEVER TRUST THEM.

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 8:20 am
Please make sure your jewelry, cash …. Other small valuables are where they belong before she leaves. She may put some more stuff in her bag over the day if you’re not extra careful.

(Or hide it somewhere and take at the last second before she leaves)

Shomrim in bp I heard has a whole list of places where they’ve found things hidden.

amother
Dustypink

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 8:23 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Why is that so crazy? If I had to put money aside I would put it there too. I don’t know, if you’ve had her for years and trust her, I really think there could be another explanation here!

Of course if you had to put money aside you'd put it in your purse. If your boss found his checks in your purse would you explain that's the normal place to put aside money you found?
There could be some unusual explanation here. There also could be a thief that op is letting into her house. Perfectly reasonable for op to keep her eyes open and take measures to let her cleaning lady prove herself one way or another.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 8:28 am
I'm sorry, I can't actually believe you opened your cleaning lady's purse. (yes, yes, I know, look at what you found there, but it was her property, her purse, and you VIOLATED that.) The two can be mutually exclusive.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 8:31 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
I'm sorry, I can't actually believe you opened your cleaning lady's purse. (yes, yes, I know, look at what you found there, but it was her property, her purse, and you VIOLATED that.) The two can be mutually exclusive.

Reread the OP. U read wrong
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics