Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Decorators: people who can afford this look, prefer modern?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 10:47 am
Decorators: people who can afford this look, prefer modern all the way like in all the instagram accounts? All you see on decorator's instagram accounts is modern decor, with no exception.

Does everyone who wants to update, and owns beautiful traditional furniture, throw out their traditional furniture and trade it all in for "office looking" modern furniture?

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 10:48 am
Yep this looks like an antique boutique

amother
Skyblue

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 11:07 am
The most skilled designers are able to mix old and new for a cohesive/ seamless look, but it’s definitely harder.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 11:11 am
No not everyone does modern now.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 11:12 am
The first one is out!! The second one can be worked with but this picture is way too cluttered for me!

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 11:14 am
I like traditional and I’m in my mid thirties. Maybe not these pics specifically

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 11:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
All you see on decorator's instagram accounts is modern decor, with no exception.

Does everyone who wants to update, and owns beautiful traditional furniture, throw out their traditional furniture and trade it all in for "office looking" modern furniture?

I certainly hope not, but if anyone is chucking their "beautiful traditional furniture," I have married children who would be happy to take it off their hands.

FTR, Ethan Allen, one of the nation's largest furniture manufacturers, specializes, as the name implies, in Early American-style furniture. They do sell other styles but they are best known for their Early American.

Interesting fact: Nathan Ancell founded the company with his brother-in-law Theodore Baumritter. Both were major supporters of many Jewish organizations.

Last edited by zaq on Fri, Nov 19 2021, 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 11:15 am
I believe they do if they can afford. I would ask a good designer for her input on this.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 11:18 am
These pics are from a Fifth Avenue/60s apartment thats selling for $25,000.000

Imho, its timeless.

I love the way the decorator used modern art with the antiques.

Has anyone seen this look done lately by frum decorators, on their insta accts? I havent.

(Ill be asked: whats the different if theyre frum- my answer: Im curious).

Decorators: Is anyone asking for this timeless look these days?

amother
Daffodil

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 11:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
These pics are from a Fifth Avenue/60s apartment thats selling for $25,000.000

Imho, its timeless.

I love the way the decorator used modern art with the antiques.

Probably from an elderly couple.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 11:25 am
I find those rooms gorgeous. Truly. Especially the first - the wallpaper and floors! Takes my breath away. I can't see pulling off such a look in a home like mine, with normal height ceilings and ordinary sized windows, etc. This needs a grand setting, IMO.
Modern is certainly more "in" but there are still people who appreciate traditional and antique pieces, but unless they are in a palatial setting they tend to go for a transitional look, mixing old and modern.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 11:25 am
Please post pics or links to pics, of what you consider timeless elegant modern.

tia

amother
Cadetblue

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 11:36 am
I always hated this style it always gave me anxiety. I'm so happy it's out, I feel at ease in most houses now. I've seen people repurpose old furniture, either paint it, or add new hardware, legs, take it apart and use it in more modern ways.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 11:50 am
Decorate in the style you like.

And if people are discarding classic furniture you love, all the better. Buy used, if its quality.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 7:23 pm
Lizzy Savetsky just decorated her home, Ari Mizell designed a lot or all of it I think.
Check it out on insta

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 8:28 pm
I updated my bedroom. All I did was put in a new light fixture (contemporary style chandelier, but with bronze hardware and a hanging crystal, so the style worked to blend new and old), put up coordinating wall sconce fixtures above the beds, a modern painting, new linen... and it all mixed so beautifully with my gorgeous traditional furniture. No Instagram designer account necessary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics