Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Putting to sleep on stomach
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 4:10 pm
I notice my newborn seems more comfortable and sleeps longer on her stomach. I know I'm supposed to put her on her back. how bad is it if I put her on her stomach. I'm so so tired ...
(ducks)

Teomima

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 4:15 pm
Look, it's really a personal decision. Yes, most babies sleep better on their stomach. Yes, statistically there's a higher risk for SIDS among babies put to sleep on their stomachs. Does that mean there are no parents who do it? No. Does that make it safe necessarily? No. But you're the parent, you need to decide what works best for you and your baby. You need to calculate the risks vs rewards and see what you want to do. Welcome to motherhood!

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 4:16 pm
We've had these threads and yes, a lot of us do this. Babies do sleep better and it is more comfortable and natural for them. Some of us hide that we do it but it makes things wayyy easier.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 4:18 pm
I remember reading one parenting blogger explaining the increased risk. He said it's the same risk comparison as walking vs. driving to the doctor's appointment.

But many of us have put our babies to sleep on their stomachs. My babies can generally lift their heads as newborns so I don't feel as nervous about it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 4:22 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
We've had these threads and yes, a lot of us do this. Babies do sleep better and it is more comfortable and natural for them. Some of us hide that we do it but it makes things wayyy easier.

I've never read those threads. my baby does lift her head up from side to side.. when does the risk decrease?

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 4:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've never read those threads. my baby does lift her head up from side to side.. when does the risk decrease?

2-4 months is the highest risk. You can find graphs. Interesting that 0 months isn't the highest, no?

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 4:24 pm
Personally, I let her nap on her stomach in the livingroom, and at night it's in her back

torquoise

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 4:32 pm
My 2 babies that were difficult sleepers, I put to sleep on their stomachs, making sure to remove fluffy things from their cribs. I felt that the benefits outweighed the risks in that situation.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 5:57 pm
My kids all slept comfortably on their stomachs - until the one, who died of SIDS!!! Crying

Just because most kids do OK on their stomachs (as did my older children), doesn’t mean they all will (as evidenced by my child, who did not wake up one morning.) PSA: Most children will do OK on their stomachs, but how do you know if your child is one, who won’t? (My child had no warning signs, and my pediatrician had given me a green light to put him on his stomach.).

It’s true it’s a relatively small risk - but, given that the potential consequences are devastating and irreversible- is it worth taking the chance???

hodeez

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:10 pm
I tried with my last kid but I didn't see a difference between stomach and back sleep, so I just continued with the back sleep

s1

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:14 pm
Please please please ask your dr and do proper research (not collecting anecdotes on imamother) before you risk putting your baby on their stomach to sleep.

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 7:48 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
My kids all slept comfortably on their stomachs - until the one, who died of SIDS!!! Crying

Just because most kids do OK on their stomachs (as did my older children), doesn’t mean they all will (as evidenced by my child, who did not wake up one morning.) PSA: Most children will do OK on their stomachs, but how do you know if your child is one, who won’t? (My child had no warning signs, and my pediatrician had given me a green light to put him on his stomach.).

It’s true it’s a relatively small risk - but, given that the potential consequences are devastating and irreversible- is it worth taking the chance???

I’m so so sorry for your loss.

Zehava

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 8:01 pm
The evidence is weak at best. The last studies on this were done in the 80s. The most they got was correlation, not causation. And even that correlation has many other explanations. The very definition of SIDS is a baby dying of unknown causes. Which means they don’t actually know that stomach sleeping causes it. Babies have unfortunately died in all positions. This info is all well-documented.

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 8:04 pm
Zehava wrote:
The evidence is weak at best. The last studies on this were done in the 80s. The most they got was correlation, not causation. And even that correlation has many other explanations. The very definition of SIDS is a baby dying of unknown causes. Which means they don’t actually know that stomach sleeping causes it. Babies have unfortunately died in all positions. This info is all well-documented.

This. It should be bookmarked. I put my babies to sleep which ever way they sleep best. OP you can put in a tzumi if you are concerned.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 8:16 pm
I put all my babies on their backs. I put my daughter that had reflux on her side with blankets rolled up on either side to keep her from rolling onto her back or stomach, since I was afraid of her spitting up and chocking on the spit up. (I once found her red in the face from that)
My last baby was very unhappy as a newborn, and literally never slept more than 20 min at a time. Getting a nurse wasn't an option at the time, and there was no-one available to help me out. So when I found myself literally sleeping while sitting up holding her, I realized that in that case stomach was safer. She did very well that way, BH. I was always careful with keeping a pacifier in her mouth, and no blankets around.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 8:19 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
2-4 months is the highest risk. You can find graphs. Interesting that 0 months isn't the highest, no?

That is odd. They do get their first shots at 2 months and 4 months... hmm. You got me thinking. Wonder the statistics if people delay shots till 6 months

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 8:25 pm
I currently have a newborn and when I'm really tired and he wakes up a lot-he ends up sleeping in my bed under my arm. I decided that if I am disciplined at night not to fall asleep nursing him, in the morning he can go back to sleep on his stomach and we both get well rested for the day!

imamommy5

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 9:02 pm
If your baby can roll over from stomache to back its fine

oakandfig19

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 9:13 pm
Please don’t. It’s proven to increase risk, and it’s a few months of your life. Wait till she can roll over.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 3:05 am
I have a small crib attached to my bed so I put him on his stomache. I check on him all the time. The crib is completely empty of toys etc. Sleeping bags are great.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics