Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Growing taller, not gaining weight- anyone else have this?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 5:50 pm
Just took my 5 yr old for a checkup and doc was concerned that he grew the right amount in height since last year but didn't gain any weight at all. He said the yr before DC gained only a small amount of weight, making that 2 yes in a row that BMI has dropped significantly. Otherwise healthy kid, def very skinny. Not a big eater but eats well and takes vitamins. Doc had us do bloodwork and said it's a concern but we shouldn't jump to any scary conclusions. I'm just so confused and can't seem to find any info online.
Why would a young kid be growing taller but not gain any weight? I think dr said that it's not a growth hormone issue if there's height gains. Any of your kids ever have this? What was the cause??

oneofakind

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:30 pm
Probably not eating enough and whatever he's eating is going towards his height. Time for milkshakes.

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:33 pm
I know of one kid where it was chrons, not absorbing enough nutrition from food. They’re doing great now.

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:36 pm
One of my kids has a very fast metabolism and grows without gaining weight! And this is the child that eats the most in the house!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:49 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
One of my kids has a very fast metabolism and grows without gaining weight! And this is the child that eats the most in the house!

Was your dr ever concerned? Are they literally the same weight they were a couple years ago?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:50 pm
amother [ Petunia ] wrote:
I know of one kid where it was chrons, not absorbing enough nutrition from food. They’re doing great now.

Idk how well you know this kid but do you know if they were having stomach issues or bathroom issues first? I would think that you'd be in pain from krohns or Celiac no?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:51 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Probably not eating enough and whatever he's eating is going towards his height. Time for milkshakes.

I really hope it's just a matter of making sure we push enough high calorie food!

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Was your dr ever concerned? Are they literally the same weight they were a couple years ago?

Doctor said child needs to gain weight so we try to put olive oil or healthy fats into his food , nuts and such, but DC doesn't gain weight even doing this! Stayed the same weight for a few years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics