Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
High schools can help with getting a degree!

Do you think they should help with getting a degree
yes  
 87%  [ 57 ]
no  
 12%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 65

imamommy5

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 10:36 pm
Do you think they should? Please tell why!

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 10:43 pm
A high school diploma?
Is that the degree you are referencing?

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 10:50 pm
My daughter has been getting college credits in eleventh and twelfth grade in addition on working towards her high school diploma.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 10:53 pm
Of course it should be an option. What's the question? If it's possible to take course work that fulfills high school and college requirements, why not for a kid who is capable?

tigerwife

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 10:54 pm
They definitely should have the option of accredited classes. In high school, I took basics like Public Speaking, Intro to Psych, and some sciences and maths that were not accredited and had to be taken again in college, using up my credit load and time.

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 10:56 pm
imamommy5 wrote:
Do you think they should? Please tell why!

Most definitely! We marry them off young, and most young women support the family nowadays. Why shouldn't we give them all the tools to manage their lives from the start? Right now, the girls are dealt a tough hand - they have to figure out marriage, babies and parnossoh in one fell swoop, all the while struggling with the college load.

The question should rather be - why SHOULDN'T the schools be helping the girls out to make things a teeny bit easier for them.

dena613

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 11:14 pm
Some schools provide credits

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 11:20 pm
Our school provides credits.
Heimish/Chassidish school in Monsey

imamommy5

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 11:23 pm
dena613 wrote:
Some schools provide credits
most dont. Mine doesnt even let you get the credits from takeing regents.

chestnut

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 12:21 am
imamommy5 wrote:
most dont. Mine doesnt even let you get the credits from takeing regents.

What does this mean? You didnt get a high school diploma?

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 12:29 am
Most litvish Bais Yaakovs offer credits.

I got a bunch of credits in my senior year at BY of Monsey.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 12:31 am
IMHO if they don't support the idea of college, I wouldn't expect them to go out of their way to help get credits.

But even if they don't, they should be helpful if a graduate of theirs DOES want to go to college with getting credits for the subjects they graduated. That's basic mentchlichkeit.

sky

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 12:34 am
Yes!
If you are taking the courses anyways why not?
Also they can cover courses that are requirements but more problematic like psychology.

I graduated with lots of college credits in Gen Ed’s and was so grateful - English, speech, psychology, sociology, economics, AP courses.

We also took Spanish as a second language for 2 yes bec many schools require a second language. There are tests you Dan take to get around it tho.

In lakewood it is not common. I heard of one school doing it. I don’t think most do. I wish they would…

imamommy5

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 12:59 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
IMHO if they don't support the idea of college, I wouldn't expect them to go out of their way to help get credits.

But even if they don't, they should be helpful if a graduate of theirs DOES want to go to college with getting credits for the subjects they graduated. That's basic mentchlichkeit.
why not? The girls are taught that kollel is a must but college is a no-no. So why not give clep exams in school (tti style) on subjects their already learning. So the girls can actually earn enough money without going to college

fitmom

Post Fri, Feb 11 2022, 8:07 am
If your high school connects with an accredited college- students can earn college credits in grade 11 and 12 for courses that they are taking anyway- History, Science, Math- the teacher of said course generally must have a masters in related subject matter - I would think taking Clep exams in high school outweighs AP option as well.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Feb 11 2022, 8:18 am
IME the sort of colleges my family is interested in do not accept credits earned for taking regular high school classes. We declined to pay the fee to get those credits.

AP courses are in a different category. If the student gets a 4/5 on the exam *and* if the college accepts that particular exam for credit, great - but not all the APs are accepted for credit by all colleges.

Should the high school help? Yes! In our MO high schools, we expect college-prep curriculum and highly effective guidance counselors to assist with college placement.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics