Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
אוריין
Previous  1  2

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 2:25 pm
I know of an Orion from a soviet country.

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 2:35 pm
I know someone with this name.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 12:01 am
Okay, first of all, to everyone telling me DONT GIVE SUCH AN UNUSUAL NAME!!!1, I said we live in Israel. Everyone who knows a wide community of people in Israel knows an Orian (http://www.shemli.co.il/hebnames/name_details.seam?nameID=1058&cid=122240 this Hebrew name website even ranks it as נפוץ = common in Israel). My question was whether the Orians were named for the Torah meaning, or whether their parents had the French sunrise/golden meaning in mind.

Anyway, Elfrida said it doesn't mean Torah, it has come to mean "Torah learned", or "well read", and so I think I'll keep looking because that meaning speaks to me less, but not because Orian is super uncommon (because it's not). Orayta would be a little too unusual for me, even though that's the meaning I liked.

Thanks everyone, especially Elfrida.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 12:15 am
amother [ Blushpink ] wrote:
Here’s my beef with unique names: are tou thinking about yourself-or your child?
It is not fair nor right to give a child a name that will cause problems when they grow up. Make sure it works in your community and add a more common name in case child wants to change how they are called. And if you really really love the name, and it’s too wierd for your community, go add it to yourself and leave the poor kids alone.
Bullying is enough of a problem without having a ridiculous name.

I'm from a yeshivish community and I have a very unique name. I love it and I always loved it. I've never been bullied, I've only ever gotten compliments on my name. There are names that are asking to be made fun of. But as long as it's a pretty, relatively normal sounding name, there's no reason not to use it.

etky

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 1:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Okay, first of all, to everyone telling me DONT GIVE SUCH AN UNUSUAL NAME!!!1, I said we live in Israel. Everyone who knows a wide community of people in Israel knows an Orian (http://www.shemli.co.il/hebnames/name_details.seam?nameID=1058&cid=122240 this Hebrew name website even ranks it as נפוץ = common in Israel). My question was whether the Orians were named for the Torah meaning, or whether their parents had the French sunrise/golden meaning in mind.

Anyway, Elfrida said it doesn't mean Torah, it has come to mean "Torah learned", or "well read", and so I think I'll keep looking because that meaning speaks to me less, but not because Orian is super uncommon (because it's not). Orayta would be a little too unusual for me, even though that's the meaning I liked.

Thanks everyone, especially Elfrida.

אוריאן is a sefer Torah - or according to Rashi, the entire Tanach. See my post upthread.
Because it pertains to the actual sefer, modern Hebrew has derived the term אוריינות that implies literacy.
אורייתא is Torah as a concept.
That said, I cannot at all guarantee that all girls with the name אוריאן were given the name because it connects with a sefer Torah.
My friend who is DL and a native Israeli explained the name to me back when it really was a rarity (25 years ago), citing the term בר אוריין and אורייתא in connection with it.
But it is a very pretty and feminine sounding name IMO in and of itself and maybe secular people use it now too because of that and because it has the word אור in it and also has that 'anne' ending that is appealing to many people, and that is what they connect to.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 3:01 am
etky wrote:
אוריאן is a sefer Torah - or according to Rashi, the entire Tanach. See my post upthread.
Because it pertains to the actual sefer, modern Hebrew has derived the term אוריינות that implies literacy.
אורייתא is Torah as a concept.
That said, I cannot at all guarantee that all girls with the name אוריאן were given the name because it connects with a sefer Torah.
My friend who is DL and a native Israeli explained the name to me back when it really was a rarity (25 years ago), citing the term בר אוריין and אורייתא in connection with it.
But it is a very pretty and feminine sounding name IMO in and of itself and maybe secular people use it now too because of that and because it has the word אור in it and also has that 'anne' ending that is appealing to many people, and that is what they connect to.

Thank you for explaining! Beautiful name. I think it will be on my "maybe" list.

salt

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 3:11 am
How about Moriah?
It has a similar sound to Orian. And it comes from the root להורות - I assume. To teach/ Torah, etc.
Or is that too common a name?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names