Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What age does your kids hear the "news" at school

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 8:26 am
This is a sort of spinoff from the author in the news thread, My son is in 3rd grade hes been coming home from school since he was 6. Surfside, and difrent terror attacks. All major news stories.. There were definitely inaccurate information in as well. He would educate my dd with his stories and I felt sometimes the need to correct the story my dd is in a grade older and hardly ever and came home with stories. I contributed to the differents between a girl and boy.. However this year her teacher is educating the class from time to time. she fills them in with a story. While my sons stories are the ones that make big news. Her teacher fills them in on major more to the gossipy stories too. Like if the was a fire in our neighborhood or child fell out of the window in isreal, people who pretended to be part of out community not always major headlines. Is the teacher right? Are these stories realy going around and my kid is just very oblivious. Is it the mothers job to explain stories the child brings to her? Or should the teacher be bringing up stories?

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 9:07 am
I think you just need that one kid in your class to make sure your child is nice and “informed”.

Last year my daughter had a young teacher for English who kept feeling the need to bring up the news including a lot of misinformation and it was very uncomfortable for me. This year before the election the teacher asked the girls who’s parents are voting for x ? And did an actual survey. Very inappropriate. This thread is reminding me I should call the school…

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 9:18 am
I also think it depends alot on the child. I have kids who pick up on everything going on around them, and one who it would totally go over the top of her head even if it were flying in her face.

If something's going on that they are bound to hear, I would try giving kids age-appropriate news, so they know and filter it thru what they already heard from me. Surfside is a good example of that. I also tell my kids to daven for the people where appropriate - we know the Tefillos of children are especially precious to Hashem. And I believe in helping kids to develope empathy (Rebbetzin Jungreis A"H wrote in her books about this concept.)

I remember a few years back the son of a relative of a relative was in a horrible car accident and the first night, his life was hanging in the balance, will he make it or not. My girls were in upper elementary school at the time, and I told them what happened (they knew this boy, had played with him, growing up, at Simchas) and we sat and said Tehillim together. B"H he pulled thru and is healthy today.

I was very suprised that my relative said nothing at all to her kids, including teens. She was protecting them. I don't think you can raise kids in a bubble. I don't think it's healthy to do so either. Just my opinion.

amother
Mimosa

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 9:29 am
No I wouldn't want my child's teacher telling my child all the local gossip. I would understand something on a national scale possibly, but what would they gain by hearing all these stories?
Something major, or something that affects them, should be said in a sensitive way. You want the first time they hear about it, to come from how you want to address it, not misinformation.
I do know one of my kids is much more oblivious than the others. Stuff just seems to pass them by, and his younger brother totally picks up more than he does. You can say something to them about discussing things if you don't want them gossiping-like they should talk about it to you rather than each other.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 10:32 am
No, it is not the difference between boys and girls. I think it is the difference between having older siblings and not having older siblings.
When the 3 boys were kidnapped in gush etzion 8 years ago, my daughter was in grade 2. She was told by her teacher that some boys were missing and they needed our tefilot. That was it. A few years later when she learned what really happened, also in school, she was slightly surprised but understood why she had not been told the real story. That would have freaked out a grade 2 kid.
But other terrorist attacks that she had heard about, when they happened, she heard in her class, even when she was very young, from girls that had much older siblings and were sharing the information.

Such things go around the schools. It always happens and always will. Its just a part of them going to school.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 10:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is a sort of spinoff from the author in the news thread, My son is in 3rd grade hes been coming home from school since he was 6. Surfside, and difrent terror attacks. All major news stories.. There were definitely inaccurate information in as well. He would educate my dd with his stories and I felt sometimes the need to correct the story my dd is in a grade older and hardly ever and came home with stories. I contributed to the differents between a girl and boy.. However this year her teacher is educating the class from time to time. she fills them in with a story. While my sons stories are the ones that make big news. Her teacher fills them in on major more to the gossipy stories too. Like if the was a fire in our neighborhood or child fell out of the window in isreal, people who pretended to be part of out community not always major headlines. Is the teacher right? Are these stories realy going around and my kid is just very oblivious. Is it the mothers job to explain stories the child brings to her? Or should the teacher be bringing up stories?

My kids didn't come home with such things until teen years.
It's true, all it takes is one kid to inform his/her classmates. But why a teacher feels the need to fill in such young children with horror stories is beyond me.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 10:52 am
I don't get the teacher filling the kids in, unless this is a school policy for a specific instance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics