Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
S/O- Suitcases on a bed
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:54 am
Can someone tell me what the issue is with suitcases on a bed? That's how we pack at home, and often access our luggage wherever we are staying. And the linen at wherever you're staying is going to get washed. What's wrong with putting them there? Most people don't have luggage racks. Do you ever put them there? Would you be upset if you knew your guests were?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can someone tell me what the issue is with suitcases on a bed? That's how we pack at home, and often access our luggage wherever we are staying. And the linen at wherever you're staying is going to get washed. What's wrong with putting them there? Most people don't have luggage racks. Do you ever put them there? Would you be upset if you knew your guests were?

Same. That’s how we pack, that’s sometimes how we sleep in hotels or at other people’s houses….
I couldn’t care less if my guests put their suitcases on the beds.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:57 am
LOL. is this really an issue??

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:59 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
LOL. is this really an issue??

When I mentioned it on another thread, I got hugged twice, and then someone posted that nobody should ever put suitcases on a bed with linen on it.

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:59 am
We have a luggage rack in the guest room.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:03 am
Well, the wheels of your suitcase have been all over the place and it would be unhygienic to have them on the bed. But you do you; as far as the host is concerned they'll be washing all the linens hot anyway.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:08 am
seeker wrote:
Well, the wheels of your suitcase have been all over the place and it would be unhygienic to have them on the bed. But you do you; as far as the host is concerned they'll be washing all the linens hot anyway.

If you are not using the bed for sleeping, AND the sheets are (presumably) being washed when you leave, what’s the issue?

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:09 am
seeker wrote:

This. Suitcases are filthy. I don't want to sleep in a bed where one was. Even if it's only at the foot of the bed, on top of the comforter, I'd still like to be able to sit there and not feel gross.

We never put our luggage on our beds.

But as Seeker says, hosts will be washing the linen anyhow. You want to make your bed dirty when you come stay by me, have at it. Smile

amother
Stone

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:14 am
I don't put suitcases on my or others beds. The wheels are dirty and may leave dirt on the bed. I don't think it's proper manners, even if the host will wash the linens. It's in the same category as standing on a bed with shoes on, it's not proper manners.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:16 am
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
This. Suitcases are filthy. I don't want to sleep in a bed where one was. Even if it's only at the foot of the bed, on top of the comforter, I'd still like to be able to sit there and not feel gross.

We never put our luggage on our beds.

But as Seeker says, hosts will be washing the linen anyhow. You want to make your bed dirty when you come stay by me, have at it. Smile

But if that bed isn’t being used, then what’s the difference?

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:17 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
If you are not using the bed for sleeping, AND the sheets are (presumably) being washed when you leave, what’s the issue?

OK, now I'm confused. If you are not using the bed for sleeping, why would they need to wash the linens?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:20 am
seeker wrote:
OK, now I'm confused. If you are not using the bed for sleeping, why would they need to wash the linens?

Go back to the other thread :-)
Or what if you’re at a hotel and you only use one bed?

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:22 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
But if that bed isn’t being used, then what’s the difference?

Huh? Who goes into a guest room with a suitcase and then doesn't sleep in the bed?

OK, so I'm imagining then, maybe, that there are 2 beds in the room and you put your suitcase on one bed but sleep in the other. When it's time to leave you strip the bed you slept in and the other remains nice and neat with no evidence of usage. So host doesn't wash those linens. Next guests get a dirty bed?

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:23 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Go back to the other thread :-)
Or what if you’re at a hotel and you only use one bed?

Hotels are different. I assume they are fairly diseased. I don't sit on the outer blankets. I know they aren't washing those between guests.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:28 am
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
Huh? Who goes into a guest room with a suitcase and then doesn't sleep in the bed?

OK, so I'm imagining then, maybe, that there are 2 beds in the room and you put your suitcase on one bed but sleep in the other. When it's time to leave you strip the bed you slept in and the other remains nice and neat with no evidence of usage. So host doesn't wash those linens. Next guests get a dirty bed?

This was the other thread

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....49546
If you are a guest, and there are two beds but you and DH only use one bed, what do you do?

If you are a guest somewhere and there are two beds but you only use one for sleeping, why can’t you use the other one for your suitcase, and then strip or don’t (according to your host/ess’ preference) before you leave?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:29 am
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
Hotels are different. I assume they are fairly diseased. I don't sit on the outer blankets. I know they aren't washing those between guests.

Would you put your suitcase on one?

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:32 am
I’d be upset if my guests put their suitcases on the bed, and I know I’ve had offenders. How? They left black marks on my black and white linen. And no, I can’t wash in hot water. That ruins the expensive linen. I have a luggage rack in the room so no excuse. Also, when I have one guest and they put the suitcase on the other bed it makes more work for me because now I have to wash both beds. Ew. Keep your dirty suitcases that have presumably been through airports on my floor or luggage rack.

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:37 am
amother [ Oxfordblue ] wrote:
I’d be upset if my guests put their suitcases on the bed, and I know I’ve had offenders. How? They left black marks on my black and white linen. And no, I can’t wash in hot water. That ruins the expensive linen. I have a luggage rack in the room so no excuse. Also, when I have one guest and they put the suitcase on the other bed it makes more work for me because now I have to wash both beds. Ew. Keep your dirty suitcases that have presumably been through airports on my floor or luggage rack.

maybe they don't know what the luggage rack is for. I for one haven't heard of this product until this thread and I am fairly well educated.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:39 am
I wouldn't dream of putting my luggage directly on a bed. Anyone's bed. When I pack, I put down an old shmatteh tablecloth or sheet. The wheels have been all over sidewalks generously scattered with substances I'd rather not think about. And just plain dirt. Never mind the wheels, any suitcase that's been used for any length of time is going to be dirty. (When was the last time you washed your suitcase?) Don't believe me? If you have a hard-sided suitcase, take a nice white cloth, dampen it, add a droplet of soap if you like, and now rub it along one panel of your suitcase. Now look at the cloth. I rest my case, pun not intended.

Just because something is going to be washed doesn't mean I have the right to make it dirtier.

Besides, some people use top sheets instead of or in addition to blanket covers(I refuse to use the ostentatious term "duvet cover"), and aren't washing or dry cleaning the blanket cover between guests.

Last edited by zaq on Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:40 am
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
maybe they don't know what the luggage rack is for. I for one haven't heard of this product until this thread and I am fairly well educated.

If you have ever been to a hotel. EVER. You know what a luggage rack is. Just maybe if English isn't your first language you don't realize what it is.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics