Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Kids reading text messages
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:28 pm
Do you let your kids read your text messages?
Would it bother you if you knew your friends kids were reading your messages?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:31 pm
I don’t let them read private, only certain groups chats. The rest are private conversations.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:32 pm
Why would anyone's kids need to read their parents messages?
No, I do not let my child read my messages. There is no need. And there is definitely some private things they dont need to read.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you let your kids read your text messages?
Would it bother you if you knew your friends kids were reading your messages?

I only let them when I need them to, like when I’m having a text conversation with someone, and then for whatever reason they respond and I can’t read it. Unless it’s a personal conversation.
I have no issue with my friends kids reading benign texts, but I would be very upset if they were reading personal and private things.

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:33 pm
I absolutely do not allow my children to read my messages, and I would be really upset if I knew my friend's did allow their kids to read my messages.

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:34 pm
amother [ Snow ] wrote:
I absolutely do not allow my children to read my messages, and I would be really upset if I knew my friend's did allow their kids to read my messages.

Exactly

Dreamer

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:34 pm
My kids need to ask permission before going thru anything on my phone. They enjoy reading family chats but one-on-one messages are private.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:37 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why would anyone's kids need to read their parents messages?
No, I do not let my child read my messages. There is no need. And there is definitely some private things they dont need to read.

Nobody's kids need to. But I imagine there are kids who play on their parents phones and snoop in the text messages a bit. (I would have probably tried to do this as a kid if cell phones existed).

Had a conversation with someone about it recently where the wife let the kids read the text messages (just out of laziness, not "Hey kids want to read this?", kids just picked it up and snooped at times). The husband was upset and said I don't want them reading everything that I sent privately.

Made me think, I have so many conversations with friends via text and though its nothing earth-shattering, I don't want their big kids who play on the phone to read the messages.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:40 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I only let them when I need them to, like when I’m having a text conversation with someone, and then for whatever reason they respond and I can’t read it. Unless it’s a personal conversation.
I have no issue with my friends kids reading benign texts, but I would be very upset if they were reading personal and private things.

For me there's lot of in between.
I don't care if someone sees me say "I will meet you at 2 PM."
Of course I care if they see truly private things.
But in the middle, does my friends 13 year old daughter need to see that I had a lousy night sleep because my 4 year old wet his bed, or that I don't like going away for Shabbos ... this stuff ins't top secret but not stuff I would tell a friends teenager. I send the messages with the expectaiton that only the recipient sees it.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:46 pm
You don't know if a message is private until after you've read it. So giving kids unlimited access to your messages is a bad idea and disrespectful to the friends who send you those messages.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For me there's lot of in between.
I don't care if someone sees me say "I will meet you at 2 PM."
Of course I care if they see truly private things.
But in the middle, does my friends 13 year old daughter need to see that I had a lousy night sleep because my 4 year old wet his bed, or that I don't like going away for Shabbos ... this stuff ins't top secret but not stuff I would tell a friends teenager. I send the messages with the expectaiton that only the recipient sees it.

For sure!!!! My kids generally don’t read any of my texts.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:57 pm
My kids don't touch my phone, let alone go through my messages.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:59 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
For sure!!!! My kids generally don’t read any of my texts.

Yes, same, I have my phone locked and kids don't know my password.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 1:13 pm
I would not and yes it would.
You toucha my phone I breaka you face.
Text messages are no different from mail: they're meant for the person to whom they're addressed, not for public consumption. Parents should keep their phones out of the reach of their children and locked with a password if necessary.

Teomima

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 1:16 pm
Absolutely not. My children do not use my phone. Ever. And I would be very upset to find out my friends' children read my texts.

sarah14

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 1:27 pm
I guess if I would send and receive private messages on a daily basis I wouldnt allow. My kids enjoy looking at my pics on the phone. I do have 1 child who after looking at the pics goes thru my messages.
I really don’t send or receive too many private messages so if it does come thru or if I write one up I delete it right away.
Don’t see it as much of a problem.

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 1:32 pm
My mom let's my sister go through her phone all the time so I dont text her anymore. She also doesn't tell me when I am on speaker and my sister is sitting with her so we also barely speak Rolling Eyes

amother
Camellia

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:11 pm
No I wouldn't. My kids every so often will look through the pictures but they aren't allowed to look at my messages.

Genius

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:45 pm
Call me old fashioned, but I believe that it’s disrespectful to both parties to let anyone’s child read the messages. No matter how petty or “not private” the conversation seems.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:51 pm
Genius wrote:
Call me old fashioned, but I believe that it’s disrespectful to both parties to let anyone’s child read the messages. No matter how petty or “not private” the conversation seems.

Yes, parents having boundaries is sadly becoming old fashioned.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette