Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Whats the going rate for cleaning lady per hour brooklyn

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:44 pm
Per hour?

Fave

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:48 pm
I pay $15/hr + transportation

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:48 pm
I just hired a cleaning lady a few weeks ago after having a baby. I am paying $15 an hour for 5 hours on Fridays. I also pay the bus fare.

I'm not sure if this is the typical rate though because I didn't ask around. I was just happy to find someone willing to come on Fridays.

liveandlove.ima

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:49 pm
$15 is standard.
some already ask for $18

yidishmamma

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 6:47 pm
$15

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 6:51 pm
$15 generally
Though my new lady now takes $18

octopus

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 6:56 pm
$15 per hour no bus fare give lunch

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 7:00 pm
It’s WAY more than that in my nabe. Over $25

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:29 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
It’s WAY more than that in my nabe. Over $25
Where do you live?

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where do you live?

Park Slope/Windsor Terrace. 2 miles from BP

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:36 pm
Mine just raised it from 13 to 15 (plus transportation). She's been with me for 11 years, about 10 hours a week, and started at 10 an hour. She tells me other people are already paying her $18-20 plus transportation.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:39 pm
So do your cleaning ladies not speak to ours?

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:40 pm
amother [ Oatmeal ] wrote:
Mine just raised it from 13 to 15 (plus transportation). She's been with me for 11 years, about 10 hours a week, and started at 10 an hour. She tells me other people are already paying her $18-20 plus transportation.

Minimum wage in NYC is only $15 an hour and we dont even get transportation. And we have to pay taxes for it. Its good to be an illegal cleaning lady being spoiled by the Jewish women of NY. At this rate, why not pay for legal citizens who actually pay taxes since it comes out more or less the same?

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:54 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Minimum wage in NYC is only $15 an hour and we dont even get transportation. And we have to pay taxes for it. Its good to be an illegal cleaning lady being spoiled by the Jewish women of NY. At this rate, why not pay for legal citizens who actually pay taxes since it comes out more or less the same?

I mean...I get your point in the long run but if you want an actual answer...because someone who's paying taxes wants significantly more. I pay my babysitter on the books. I'm the only parent who sends to her who isn't giving her cash. I'm paying $23 per hour when the cash parents are paying $16. Plus the "legal citizens" (I don't know why you're assuming they're all illegals, mine isn't) won't want to work all kinds of hours, cheerfully doing all kinds of stuff. They'll start talking about paid vacation and paid sick leave and so on. And before you know it, the price will have quadrupled.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:58 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:

You should definitely find someone DOCUMENTED and pay them on the books.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:20 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:

If you make $15 an hour the only income taxes you would be paying would be FICA and for that you will be getting Medicare and Social Security.

You are also able to get unemployment.

You also have the benefit of your employer paying half the cost of FICA which is a significant benefit. There is also often some form of PTO.

Everyone pays taxes in the form of sales taxes which is disproportionately hard on lower paid workers since a disproportionate percentage of their income is spent on taxable items. In NYC only food doesn't have sales tax.

And not all cleaning ladies are undocumented. At any rate, I don't begrudge hard working people who are working at jobs that most Americans won't take.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:47 pm
Fave wrote:
I pay $15/hr + transportation

Same

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:23 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Park Slope/Windsor Terrace. 2 miles from BP

I think many things are more expensive there. Isn't childcare prices higher there than the Midwood area also?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics