Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Is there any point in taking a Yeshiva boy to Florida?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 4:26 pm
Struggling with what to do for winter vacation. We haven’t gone away in a few years and need some nice family time. DS only has a few days off. DDs would like to go to Florida. Was thinking a house with private pool in Boca. Is there anywhere to go with 6th grader DS? DH and DS will not go to the beach. Would consider Miami- seems to be an hour drive. All ideas welcome

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 4:28 pm
Sure a house with a pool, some good food, maybe a boat ride, parrot jungle etc

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 4:31 pm
amother [ Bluebell ] wrote:
Sure a house with a pool, some good food, maybe a boat ride, parrot jungle etc

Thank you. Do you know of specific boat rides that wouldn’t be in view of the beach?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 4:39 pm
I did the hurricane 360 boat ride. was really fun! Was in south Miami not sure how far from boxcar. Only problem is others are on the boat as well and you never know how they will come dressed but look into the idea.

Kumphort

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 4:42 pm
Why are you choosing Boca?

Why not go to Orlando. There is plenty to do besides the major theme parks

Go to an airboat ride by Everglades
Look up wonder works and indoor interactive museum. Fun spot a small amusement park. There are tree tops ropes courses etc.

Aetrsnrady

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 4:42 pm
Seems like Parrot Jungle has closed down. It is now called “Jungle Island” but seems to be an event/convention venue, not an attraction. Anyone have updated info?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 4:44 pm
Kumphort wrote:
Why are you choosing Boca?

Why not go to Orlando. There is plenty to do besides the major theme parks

Go to an airboat ride by Everglades
Look up wonder works and indoor interactive museum. Fun spot a small amusement park. There are tree tops ropes courses etc.

We went to Orlando (Disney) before COVID. Will look into your suggestions. Ty!

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:04 pm
I take my boys to Boca fairly frequently to visit our grandfather. There is a lot of non-beach stuff to do there.

Starting in early January, there will be a lego exhibit at the botanical gardens in Palm Beach. https://www.mounts.org/garden-exhibits/

We go here every 2-3 years:
https://www.evergladesairboattours.com/ --- I think this is the closest one to Boca

bike rentals on Palm Beach (its along the water, but if you go on a cooler day, you probably won't find too many people dressed for the beach)

I think there is kayaking in lake worth, which is 25 minutes north of Boca-- again, some days in January and February can be cool.

Lion Country Safari-- really fun for everyone

in Palm Beach county, there are dozens of nature preserves to go walking in-- go looking for alligators and different birds indigenous to the area.

Also, John D. Macarthur state park is really interesting to check out all the animals and birds.

Is there still a glass bottom aquarium in Miami? That would be neat.

Jungle Island-- no love lost over that one. I remember how terrible it smelled there!

scintilla

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:22 pm
I went with my husband who has similar limitations - we did things like go to the beach for sunrise, boat rides, eating out and outdoor things that aren't on the water just to enjoy the sunshine (don't remember offhand what they were). I definitely think it's worth it if you do a little research beforehand to check there will be what to do that your son would like. There were of course people dressed non tznius, but no more than there are in NY in warm weather.

scintilla

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. Do you know of specific boat rides that wouldn’t be in view of the beach?

Look up sightseeing boat rides, those would have the vibes you're looking for.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics