Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Girl names connected to tzniyut
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:18 am
This might be an unusual request.

I am expecting a baby girl and we never get a chance to see the face because she is facing placenta and covers her face with a hand.

My kids looked at the sono photos ans said: The baby is very modest (won't show the face) or she is saiyng Shema".

I actually love this concept, especially if it does fit the child's personality already in the womb.

So I was thinking which women from Tanach were known for their modesty or what names are connectes to the idea.

One is Penina which I am not a fan of.
Another one I remembered was Ruth, which might work.
Is there anyone else I didn't think of?

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:19 am
Esther means hidden

scruffy

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:20 am
Sarah- hinei baohel

WhatFor

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:25 am
I believe Yael was described as tznuah.

amother
Opal

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:25 am
amother [ Junglegreen ] wrote:
Esther means hidden

Came here to say Esther!

Elfrida

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:35 am
If she's covering her face, she should be Rivka.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:35 am
Can I just say that I don’t know if you want to make the point that covering one’s face is modest? It seems bashful, which is not what Tzniyus is.
That said, what do you think of the name Temima? It means pure

bigsis144

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:36 am
Malka (kol kevuda has melech penima)

Though I like Esther best of the names suggested so far!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:42 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Can I just say that I don’t know if you want to make the point that covering one’s face is modest? It seems bashful, which is not what Tzniyus is.
That said, what do you think of the name Temima? It means pure

Is it turning political now? Trying to understand... Is it connected to having no female faces in magazines?

My children made this connection which I thought was cute, and I don't mind her name being about tzniyus. That being said I need to run this by dh, since we already had a name for her.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it turning political now? Trying to understand... Is it connected to having no female faces in magazines?

My children made this connection which I thought was cute, and I don't mind her name being about tzniyus. That being said I need to run this by dh, since we already had a name for her.
not at all! And I’m right wing yeshivish and value Tzniyus greatly. However I wouldn’t let something “cute” my kids said drive my decision when naming my child. And it can be cute but still hashkafically wrong. That is all I’m trying to point out.
Ps. I totally understand your kids, it’s easy to mix up shame and Tzniyus, a more mature viewpoint on Tzniyus usually evolved as people grow up and understand it more.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 9:06 am
For sure Sarah, Esther, Rivka were known for their tzniut
Rachel imeinu as well

Michal

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 9:09 am
What if her strong point won't quite be tznius Chv in the future?

I think it can get a little sticky.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 9:10 am
Rifka covered her face for tzniyus purposes

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 9:17 am
It's a beautiful thought. For real.

However, as a Jewish woman in a generation that perverts tznius and twists its meaning to conform to values that are not the Torah values, I wouldn't name my daughter for such a thing.

Perhaps in another generation that understands what true tznius is, naming for it would be well received but these days I think it would impact your future daughter negatively. It may reinforce all the ideas that are being taught such as female faces are not tzanuah, objectifying women, men can't control themselves etc etc.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 9:27 am
So funny how we imbue our values into the baby; my baby didn’t show his face ever either but I attributed that to stubbornness. And knowing him now, I think I was right!

Oldest

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 9:39 am
Avigayil (Avigayil Haneviah)
Devorah (Devorah Haneviah)
Both women were known for their modesty

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:06 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
not at all! And I’m right wing yeshivish and value Tzniyus greatly. However I wouldn’t let something “cute” my kids said drive my decision when naming my child. And it can be cute but still hashkafically wrong. That is all I’m trying to point out.
Ps. I totally understand your kids, it’s easy to mix up shame and Tzniyus, a more mature viewpoint on Tzniyus usually evolved as people grow up and understand it more.

I think you're thinking into it a little to deeply. Op is choosing a name, and when you choose a name (as opposed to naming after) you let all sorts of things influence you...time of year, season, current events, and yes, even the "personality" of the baby.

She's not saying that all women have to cover the faces, just that it's cute that one stand-out aspect is the "tznius" of the baby covering her face.

Obviously op is aware that the baby happens to be in that position but it's a cute idea.

And OP clearly aspires that her daughter be a tzanua, as do all (most?) Of us.

It's not like she's naming her daughter Tzanua and limiting her to that. All the names mentioned are names of strong tzidkaniyos who changed and shaped our history...while also preserving the Torah ideal of tznius.

It's a beautiful thought!

Eta, while my community doesn't, I think most women do cover their faces by licht-benching, and some even when the say tefillos after separating challah. Maybe a name like Chana, which is an acronym for the three feminine mitzvos, and who herself was a tzanua (davened quietly)?

jerusalem90

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:20 am
Yiscah

amother
White

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:26 am
Kimchit, the walls of her house never saw her hair and she had children who were kohanim gedolim

dena613

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:28 am
Sarah baohel
Rivkah vatipol
Rachel vehiney baah im...
Esther

Adina
Aidel
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names