Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Weight loss or health?
1  2  Next

Why are you dieting/consciously eating or trying to eat the way you are?
I'm trying to lose weight  
 66%  [ 40 ]
I'm trying to get healthier  
 33%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 60

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:20 am
I'm wondering how many ppl diet to lose weight and how many ppl diet for health. Even the same diet like paleo, Atkins can be done for weight loss or health. It doesn't need to be a specific diet. It could just be going off sugar or gluten etc...

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:36 am
I’ve lost a lot of weight but that was never my primary goal. My primary goal was resolving my type 2. And I also fixed myriad other issues. My second goal was maintaining whatever loss I had, which I am also doing. Continuously and happuky For 4.5 years.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:37 am
For health/ better quality of life.

I went off gluten and felt better. Some friends asked: So did you lose weight?

I was annoyed, I wasn't doing it for the weight..

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:37 am
My answer would be that I would be trying to lose weight in order to be healthy. So sort of both.

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 9:34 am
Definitely to loose weight. I always ate healthy, but too many portions.
So I just need to reduce portion size and continue eating what I always eat.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 9:38 am
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
My answer would be that I would be trying to lose weight in order to be healthy. So sort of both.

Definitely this.
You need to add an option of both to your poll. Very often it goes hand in hand.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:04 am
Why can't I pick both?

But I think those who are not doing it for weight loss - not because they are putting their weight loss secondary to gaining health in general, but because they have no weight to lose - would not call it a diet but a lifestyle. Diet = restrictions. Lifestyle = choice.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:06 am
If I lose weight I’ll be healthier.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:07 am
Both. My doctors say that I need to lose weight and watch what I eat and this will hopefully improve my cholesterol levels, my stomache ulcers, reflux etc. Losing weight will improve my health. So the goal is to lose weight so that my health improves.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:41 am
Both. I started eating healthier to lose weight and because of a vitamin deficiency.

Half my plate is salad, one quarter is protein, one quarter is a carb.

I am losing weight and eating a normal amount so I don't get hungry.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:51 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Both. My doctors say that I need to lose weight and watch what I eat and this will hopefully improve my cholesterol levels, my stomache ulcers, reflux etc. Losing weight will improve my health. So the goal is to lose weight so that my health improves.

It is very uninformed to say that these issues will improve with weight loss. This is also truth for any sort of "getting healthier". Weight does not equal health. There is a far larger picture and often losing weight and the stress of that can make these kind of issues worse.

Stress release, a more wholesome diet, healthy movement can do a far better job with improving someone's health than weight loss per se.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:53 am
I lost 20 lbs after changing some habits. Then I hit a wall. I haven't regressed bH. I'm much healthier even though I'd love to lose another 20.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:03 am
How many women will admit that they are dieting for looks?

I would say many or most are.

If you stayed the same size, but only your health markers improved would you choose to diet?

How many women even know their health markers?

I bet women under 40 are mostly doing it for weightloss.

confused 2

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:05 am
can I vote both?? for sure as a lady I wanna look good and be thin but we can accomplish that in an unhealthy way too so I'm doing it in the healthiest way to feel good

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:09 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
It is very uninformed to say that these issues will improve with weight loss. This is also truth for any sort of "getting healthier". Weight does not equal health. There is a far larger picture and often losing weight and the stress of that can make these kind of issues worse.

Stress release, a more wholesome diet, healthy movement can do a far better job with improving someone's health than weight loss per se.

Experience has shown me that every time I lost weight these things did improve for me. In addition to that my thyroid levels and energy also improved.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:10 am
For me, it's both. I'm happy with how I look now, and I'm trying to lose weight for health. My doctor recommended that I lose a certain amount of weight, and there are other medical benefits for me with the diet I am following. My immediate goal is to be at a healthy weight. However, it will be nice to fit into my old clothes from before kids.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:14 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
How many women will admit that they are dieting for looks?

I would say many or most are.

If you stayed the same size, but only your health markers improved would you choose to diet?

How many women even know their health markers?

I bet women under 40 are mostly doing it for weightloss.

I weigh in the low 200's. I am very healthy in spite of my weight, but I think it's fair to say that I'd be healthier still if I lost weight. If not now then certainly down the road. Carrying this much extra weight will eventually take a toll on my joints, my organs, etc.

So, yes, wanting to lose weight for health - primarily. But fully admit I also want to look better and it's a big motivator.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:15 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
If I lose weight I’ll be healthier.

Strictly speaking, this is not always true. I have a friend who lost weight to being smack dab where he needed to be and his blood sugar ( typically blood sugar is not raised with fruit but insulin is) skyrocketed because of all the fruit he was eating.

This is not uncommon. It depends on what ails you.

I have a friend who is a size zero who’s A1c is 7.8 on insulin. Mine isn’t even diabetic anymore ( non medicated) and I am five one and weigh 200 pounds. I gave pretty much zero heslth issues except some remaining structural issues with my hips. My
Medical issues and energy Levels started improving before significant weightloss took place.

Metabolically healthy obesity is better than being thin on the outside and fat (visceral) on the inside. Also resolved for me, headaches/migraines/joint pain/cysts/acne/blood pressure/binge eating/insulin sensitivity and probably a few things I’m forgetting .

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:29 am
Are you trying to see how many of us will do a diet that is harmful in order to lose weight

I’m in it for both because the less weight on my body the less weight on my joints

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:45 am
Contrary to popular opinion there isn't a "healthy weight". There are health markers. If all your markers are healthy than you are healthy, that is not a specific number or size, it's not even a BMI.
Is obesity a risk factor? Sure.
But if your health markers are healthy you aren't more healthy if you lose the 20 more lbs.
Eating heathy foods and exercise are good choices for everyone, I just wanted to clarify the above.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise