Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Where to buy a good urn in Brooklyn.
1  2  Next

lossetes

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:04 am
Where in Brooklyn would you you suggest I can get a good Urn ? I am looking for something that is not too big or too small , has shabbos mode and can be used during the week as well. Whatever I bought till now stops working in just a few months.

Last edited by lossetes on Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total

lossetes

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:05 am
anyone ?

love vegetables

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:19 am
Buzz

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:28 am
Buy one without a pump since the pumps fail after a few months. Ask for the West Bend stainless with spigot.
The ones in the Jewish stores come with a cord that disconnects fully from the urn. The one on Amazon has the cord permanently connected to the urn.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....b2ec7

lossetes

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:40 am
love vegetables wrote:
Buzz
Thanks!

lossetes

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:41 am
ra_mom wrote:
Buy one without a pump since the pumps fail after a few months. Ask for the West Bend stainless with spigot.
The ones in the Jewish stores come with a cord that disconnects fully from the urn. The one on Amazon has the cord permanently connected to the urn.

What difference does it make if the cord is connected or not in terms of shabbos ?

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:41 am
I recently bought from Duddys in BP. I specifically needed a small one to fit on my counter. It holds about ten cups. So far so good.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:44 am
lossetes wrote:
What difference does it make if the cord is connected or not in terms of shabbos ?

Nothing with shabbos or halacha. Just that it's easier to wash when the cord disconnects fully. We actually have both. The one we have for pesach is from Amazon and has the attached cord (we needed it rushed on chol hamoed).

lossetes

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:46 am
ra_mom wrote:
Nothing with shabbos or halacha. Just that it's easier to wash when the cord disconnects fully. We actually have both. The one we have for pesach is from Amazon and has the attached cord (we needed it rushed on chol hamoed).
Does this one sometimes start heating the water up when water is taken out ? (I know there are leniencies but try not to rely on it)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:48 am
lossetes wrote:
Does this one sometimes start heating the water up when water is taken out ? (I know there are leniencies but try not to rely on it)

Nope. It only heats up the water when cold water is added. You can hear the whistle when it starts heating the cold water.

lossetes

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:49 am
ra_mom wrote:
Nope. It only heats up the water when cold water is added. You can hear the whistle when it starts heating the cold water.
Thanks. From the amazon pictures it seems as if the cord is disconnected. Unless it's just for show.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:51 am
lossetes wrote:
Thanks. From the amazon pictures it seems as if the cord is disconnected. Unless it's just for show.

You're right it does look like it disconnects. I think the one we have is a 42 cup.

lossetes

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You're right it does look like it disconnects. I think the one we have is a 42 cup.
Thanks to all. I'm bumping this in case anyone has any other suggestions.

chestnut

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:08 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Does this wash well inside? I have another company, I think, also with a spigot, and there's no way to get rid of the built up inside. Jewish ones wash beautifully inside, though, but those pumps...

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 9:47 am
chestnut wrote:
Does this wash well inside? I have another company, I think, also with a spigot, and there's no way to get rid of the built up inside. Jewish ones wash beautifully inside, though, but those pumps...

In the evening Boil water and turn off urn. carefully add citric acid. Cover. Let stand overnight. In the morning discard water. Rinse out properly.
Your urn will be like new Smile

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 9:52 am
chestnut wrote:

You can clean out the inside of the one you have.

Buy citric acid. The spice companies have it listed as sour salt. Look for Prima or Lieber's in the spice isle.
Otherwise you can order a full bag of citric acid on Amazon.

Fill urn with water. Add 4 Tbsp citric acid/sour salt. Turn on. Once fully boiled, spill out fully. Add clean water and bring to a boil again. Spill out. Use as usual.

It sounds like there's a big build up, so do it 3x.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:19 am
I needed something something fairly small and didn't want the pump, either. I had been looking at electric kettles, but most of them lift off of a base. In the end, bought this. It's a percolator--I just don't use the filter or anything else inside, and just use it to heat water. It boils the water and then switches to a warm mode automatically. The water stays plenty hot, but it never reboils. You do have to leave it plugged in and pour from wherever it is, but that doesn't bother me. I checked with my LOR before buying it and he said it was fine for shabbos, as long as I plugged it in enough in advance to have it boil and switch to warm mode.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....f0aad

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 11:39 am
ra_mom wrote:

Do you still recommend this one?

It says on Amazon that the 30 cup one is under 11" high. Does that make sense? My 25 cup Magic Mill That I love but it breaks to often, is 15" high.

Dimensions: 10.80 (W) x 15.60 (D) x 10.70 (H) inches

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 11:45 am
amother Mustard wrote:
Do you still recommend this one?

It says on Amazon that the 30 cup one is under 11" high. Does that make sense? My 25 cup Magic Mill That I love but it breaks to often, is 15" high.

Dimensions: 10.80 (W) x 15.60 (D) x 10.70 (H) inches

Yes I still have these. Ours are 42 cups (regular and pesach). They fit under the kitchen cabinet and are 16" with the cover on. I do like to move slightly away from under the cabinet since I don't love when anything gets too warm. Have for decades and replace as needed.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 12:22 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Yes I still have these. Ours are 42 cups (regular and pesach). They fit under the kitchen cabinet and are 16" with the cover on. I do like to move slightly away from under the cabinet since I don't love when anything gets too warm. Have for decades and replace as needed.

How hot does it get? I have the Hamilton beach urn and it doesn’t stay hot enough. I don’t remember where I got it so I can’t check the official temp.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics