Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Things unheard of before imamother?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:42 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Same. My husband is very makpid about what comes into the house on pesach, and he would not be happy if people showed up with food products.

We are not strict on pesach so it has nothing to do with that aspect I would just be offended that people think that I invited them and wouldn’t provide for them.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:57 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Bringing your own wine and matza when you go to someone else’s Seder. This concept is just so bizarre to me and on here it’s talked about like it’s completely normal and accepted practice. I was so surprised that I asked my mom if she heard of it but she didn’t either.

I was also surprised but perhaps it has to do with who you have over. In my personal life people are either family who generally do contribute to meals in some way or invited guests who aren’t expected to being items they will be using but might bring a nice bottle of wine, flowers, chocolate as a hostess gift.

I think it seems to be among people who are feeding people who aren’t either family or real guests and so feeding them is more of a financial burden. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

gonewiththewind1

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:07 pm
steak4me wrote:
Seems like a lot of the things some of us posters didn’t know, originate from your side of town…

And we are considered the unknowledgeable ones...

funmama

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:08 pm
Shuly wrote:
That people sew the pockets of boys' pants closed because they're not supposed to put their hands in their pockets.

That some Gerrer chassidim sleep with their beds in an L shape.

That everyone needs therapy.

Why can’t they put their hands in their pockets?
Why are their beds in an L shape?

chanchy123

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:11 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Bringing your own wine and matza when you go to someone else’s Seder. This concept is just so bizarre to me and on here it’s talked about like it’s completely normal and accepted practice. I was so surprised that I asked my mom if she heard of it but she didn’t either.

I grew up with this and I’m MO (I thought most people do it). It’s a halachic inyan to use davka wine and matza you own. Usually people in my family (as well as DHs) will bring their own 3 Matzos especially if they are handmade, and at least one bottle of wine.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:35 pm
We use shmurah hand baked matzah for the seder which can be quite expensive.

When we've eaten by family friends we've offered to bring our own or give them money to pay for the matzah.

Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:40 pm
I just skimmed so don't know if others have mentioned, but...the no having a garbage can in the bathroom policy!!! Literally left me open-mouthed. Not only do they, the women of the house and their daughters carry their used pads to the kitchen and dispose of them there, they feel it is proper and appropriate for every female guest to do likewise. Puke Puke Puke Puke

And..a bunch of women here have this policy, apparently.

YYYY

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:42 pm
That many people find it unnecessary to make their bed in the morning.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:47 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
We are not strict on pesach so it has nothing to do with that aspect I would just be offended that people think that I invited them and wouldn’t provide for them.

Maybe handmade matzoh is cheaper is America?

steak4me

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:53 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
And we are considered the unknowledgeable ones...

I don’t think it’s about knowledge at all here. More like minhagim and lifestyle differences.

Taking the examples of the baby without sleeves, if you grew up with this concept, it’s totally not anything new to you. But for me, it’s really far fetched and unheard of and totally a new thing learnt.

Not more educated vs less. Just exposures to different settings and environments

Jewishmom8

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 1:24 am
Fave wrote:
That there are families that weigh the kzaysim of matzah and Marror Erev Pesach. That’s a big job!

yup my husband does that for all adults.
This thread is one of the reasons I like imamother.
To learn about all different kinds of frum jewish women.
we are all different and we all can get along.
I think that is what we need for moshiach to come right?

essie14

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 1:43 am
That people judge tznius on babies
That people don't keep trash cans in the bathroom
That women get engaged without knowing what s-x is

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 3:56 am
Plonis wrote:
Right, I hear that. But for many, the definition of frum is not limited to the Big Three. It is an acceptance of an overall Jewish lifestyle in all aspects of their lives.

Again, a definition thing.

If someone who keeps the Big Three calls themselves "observant" I wouldn't raise an eyebrow. The specific term "frum" implies (to me) more than that.
I learned on imamother that different people use the term frum to mean different things.
When I was growing up, in a MO community, over 25 - 45 years ago, frum just meant orthodox.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 4:17 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

Its pretty normal for people to bring wine when they are invited somewhere. It's not a slur on your lack of good wine if they do, or ability to buy wine.

As for matza, it's nice that you are so financially comfortable, bh, but some people are not, (ie almost every single person I know. LOL ) but they still might enjoy inviting over their family and friends. Their family and friends are sensitive to the fact that it is expensive to host them.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:19 am
To have or not to have plastic on tablecloth is a shidduch issue
To scrape and stack plates at the table as definitely a shidduch issue
Lel haseder meal served on disposables Can't Believe It Can't Believe It
(Pet peeve of mine)

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:26 am
It didn't fully realize the meaning of:
Drama Queen
Germaphobes
Now I know better.

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:28 am
So many things! But I think they have all been covered

dena613

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:30 am
Bridezilla

Unorthodox
My unorthodox life

mindyme

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:32 am
The need to buy Chanuka presents for adults
How incredibly kind and supportive and understanding random strangers can be
That some people b'davka dont have garbage cans in their bathrooms
That people care so so much about what their even little kids wear.
PANDAS. I only know of it from magazine articles and on here. I dont know anyone irl diagnosed with this or thinking it's the diagnosis

MrsDash

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:52 am
Thanks for keeping the peace in the thread! Here's your reward:

Page 6 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics