Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Weight loss or health?
Previous  1  2

Why are you dieting/consciously eating or trying to eat the way you are?
I'm trying to lose weight  
 66%  [ 40 ]
I'm trying to get healthier  
 33%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 60

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:06 pm
I totally get that they can go hand on hand. However, losing weight by finding calories or by cutting out whole groups of food is generally not healthy so generally only 1 thing is the fucus and the other is the happy byproduct. For me right now I'm focusing on my health. And I'm losing a little but that's the byproduct and not at all the focus. Other ppl try to lose weight and try as best as possible to also do it in a healthy way and they hope that they will in addition to losing weight also get healthier.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:08 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Experience has shown me that every time I lost weight these things did improve for me. In addition to that my thyroid levels and energy also improved.

Clearly it wasn't a long-term solution though, as you are back in the same place again. Other changes (than losing weight) may take longer, be harder and need more education so that you can make informed decisions, but will hopefully lead to long-lasting changes that can be sustained. Yo-yo dieting isn't good for any issues in the long-term either.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:10 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I weigh in the low 200's. I am very healthy in spite of my weight, but I think it's fair to say that I'd be healthier still if I lost weight. If not now then certainly down the road. Carrying this much extra weight will eventually take a toll on my joints, my organs, etc.

So, yes, wanting to lose weight for health - primarily. But fully admit I also want to look better and it's a big motivator.

What do you consider healthy?

There's definitely a time and place to lose weight. But that can and should only be done when the foundations are in place (person has learned and can sustain healthy habits) and then one is able to maintain the weight loss and not yo-yo diet.

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:52 pm
I’m changing my eating habits now but purely for health reasons. I have dieted in the past for weight loss but now I’m pretty content with how I look and don’t really care to lose more (even though I have more to lose)

amother
Begonia

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 4:07 pm
I want to lose weight and in order to do so I eat healthier. I am at a "normal" weight but would like to be thinner. If I pig out or nosh on junk, I gain weight (I never skip meals), so for me it's about cutting out the extras and treats that I "deserve" and just eat what my body really needs.

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 4:23 pm
I am dieting to look better and feel better.
To fit into clothes, and chairs, and airplane seats etc….

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:59 pm
Yes
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise