Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Girl names connected to tzniyut
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:49 am
Adina, for refinement

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:54 am
amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:
What if her strong point won't quite be tznius Chv in the future?

I think it can get a little sticky.

Tzniyus isn't just dress. It's humility born of strong identity, and the confidence to downplay one's ego.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:18 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Tzniyus isn't just dress. It's humility born of strong identity, and the confidence to downplay one's ego.

Thank you.

That is why I thought of Ruth, she was not hiding per se but she was careful not to stand out when she was picking up wheat.

I see there are many options.

It happens to be that I am not crazy about our chosen name anymore (pregnancy hormones?) and may suggest to dh that we use one of these from this thread.

Some of the names are mine and my other daughters', but many would work.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:20 pm

Then she will just remain a girl with a classic Tanach name.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 1:29 pm
I wonder what is with people who name their kid Sheina or Yaffa and she turns out ugly... etc...

One can also argue that obsession with female beauty nowadays may lead to objectification, eatinbg disorders, bullying and abuse of plastic surgery. So why even name a child anything with beauty in mind?

A reason behind a name is our aspiration but the child will turn out what they are meant to turn out.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 1:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wonder what is with people who name their kid Sheina or Yaffa and she turns out ugly... etc...

One can also argue that obsession with female beauty nowadays may lead to objectification, eatinbg disorders, bullying and abuse of plastic surgery. So why even name a child anything with beauty in mind?

A reason behind a name is our aspiration but the child will turn out what they are meant to turn out.

What about inner beauty?
We say the word Yafeh after Shema. Rav Schwab discusses the 16 words starting with emes v'yatziv, ending with yafeh. He says that the first is the clarity of times of giluy Shechina, IIRC, the second is a muted version for times of hester panim. Yafeh is paired with tov, when we can see objectively how good things are. The greatest beauty, which corresponds with that, is when we still hang in there to see Hashem even in times of hester.
I'm not going back to find the exact nusach. I hope I'm conveying it properly. The point is, there are so many levels to beauty.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 2:07 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
What about inner beauty?
We say the word Yafeh after Shema. Rav Schwab discusses the 16 words starting with emes v'yatziv, ending with yafeh. He says that the first is the clarity of times of giluy Shechina, IIRC, the second is a muted version for times of hester panim. Yafeh is paired with tov, when we can see objectively how good things are. The greatest beauty, which corresponds with that, is when we still hang in there to see Hashem even in times of hester.
I'm not going back to find the exact nusach. I hope I'm conveying it properly. The point is, there are so many levels to beauty.

I totally agree. I refer to the posts that imply that we cannot have an intention to name for tzniyut if we don't know for sure the character of the kid or if the concept of tzniyut may have negative connotations.

Each abstract concept can be interpreted both negatively and positively.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 2:07 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Can I just say that I don’t know if you want to make the point that covering one’s face is modest? It seems bashful, which is not what Tzniyus is.
That said, what do you think of the name Temima? It means pure

Okay, so when YOUR fetus hides her face in sonograms, you can decide to consider it bashfulness. Feel free to name her after a dwarf.

Miri1

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 2:29 pm
Sima

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 2:33 pm

What if you name a girl Chava and she is infertile? Yaffa and she is homely and not pretty?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:37 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
Okay, so when YOUR fetus hides her face in sonograms, you can decide to consider it bashfulness. Feel free to name her after a dwarf.

I will admit to chuckling.
Tell you what, if it happens to you, you run with the ruach hakodesh.

dena613

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 9:10 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:

Basha? Al sheim the bashfulness? Or the bashfest?

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:38 pm
Chana. She davened silently.

Tamar. She handled herself with dignity and integrity.

petals

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 10:53 pm
Adina. I love the name.

meiravit

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:09 pm
dena613 wrote:

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:46 pm
dena613 wrote:

Or Basya. Al sheim there’s nothing more tznius than identifying first and foremost as the daughter of the King. Dignified royalty. Also it’s my daughter’s name, so it’ll always be my favorite. 💗

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:49 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Chana. She davened silently.

Tamar. She handled herself with dignity and integrity.

Tamar (Yehuda's DIL) had the right kind of tzniut, and many people don't recognize it as tzniut. She wasn't tznuah in the "people must think I'm tznuah" kind of way (people who look at her story for face value will see she dressed as a wh*re and had sx outside of marriage). But her actions are considered modest by those with a deeper understanding. I heard a really good explanation of it (possibly from Chabad's English website), but forgot too much to try to write it here.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 2:02 am
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
Tamar (Yehuda's DIL) had the right kind of tzniut, and many people don't recognize it as tzniut. She wasn't tznuah in the "people must think I'm tznuah" kind of way (people who look at her story for face value will see she dressed as a wh*re and had sx outside of marriage). But her actions are considered modest by those with a deeper understanding. I heard a really good explanation of it (possibly from Chabad's English website), but forgot too much to try to write it here.

Can't use! It's a relative's name

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 2:07 am
Any name that referred to my position in utero would feel immodest to me.

On the other hand, Yaakov Avinu was named for his position at birth, so who knows?

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 2:32 am
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
Any name that referred to my position in utero would feel immodest to me.

On the other hand, Yaakov Avinu was named for his position at birth, so who knows?

As was Peretz
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names