Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Be honest. Do you like receiving photos as gifts?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:36 am
Anon because I just posted a question on facebook re: gift ideas and people are telling me to give a framed photo of my kids. I feel like that is the epitome of tacky.

Please be honest. Be amother and tell the truth (no one will know who you are!). If you have received a photo of someone as a gift, do you feel like this is a real gift? Or do you feel like it is self-serving of the giver, tacky, and think "great, now I have to have this out on display or it'll hurt their feelings"?

I want to hear from the ones who receive the gift please, not the ones who give it and believe their parents/in-laws/kid's teacher/grandparents/etc. love them. Because, of course they want you to think they love it, what person would say no thanks when receiving a gift (other than my father)? I am not referring to those little projects our kids make in school for mothers day (the face in the flower), or the pics from school holding a lulav, etc. I'm talking about a framed photo for chanukah. It's a no-brainer, easy go-to gift. It makes the giver feel good. Does it make the recipient feel good?

So, if your grown children gift you with a framed photo of themselves/their kids for chanukah, what do you really think about it?

ETA - to be clear, I want to hear from the recipient. Not the giver.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:39 am
A framed picture of the kids is only appropriate to give to the grandparents of the kids. It's not tacky at all and I think grandparents really appreciate it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:40 am
Blessing1 wrote:
A framed picture of the kids is only appropriate to give to the grandparents of the kids. It's not tacky at all and I think grandparents really appreciate it.

OK... but are you a grandparent? Do you like to receive this as a gift? I'm asking people who receive this. Do you like it?

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OK... but are you a grandparent? Do you like to receive this as a gift? I'm asking people who receive this. Do you like it?

I’ve always shied away from this for your reasons, but my father this year went into an unprompted rant about how I’m the only one who doesn’t give framed photos of the grandkids and he really really wants some and can I please give to him for Chanukah. I will say, I’ve gotten framed photos of my nephew before and I genuinely enjoyed it.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:44 am
We're going to a 104th birthday party of DH's grandmother next week. What do you get for someone who literally needs nothing? We're bringing a framed picture of our kids, her great-grandchildren, along with a handmade card made by the same grandchildren. She loves looking at pictures of the kids so it seemed the most appropriate gift. Hopefully she'll like it!

Reality

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:44 am
My sisters have sent me professional pictures of their kids. I like it. I display them.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:49 am
My mother, mil, grandmother and DH grandmother love them. My other grandmother, not as much. She doesn’t like clutter so we WhatsApp her pictures instead.

Know your recipient.

Last edited by SuperWify on Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:49 am
My fridge has pictures of nieces and nephews. I like those gifts.
My parents proudly display pictures I send them, of our children.
Yes they genuinely like it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:51 am
Reality wrote:
My sisters have sent me professional pictures of their kids. I like it. I display them.

Does she send it to you for chanukah of your birthday? Or just stam? Would you like it as a chanukah gift?

Reality

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does she send it to you for chanukah of your birthday? Or just stam? Would you like it as a chanukah gift?

One sister would just send when she took her kids for pictures.

Another sister just sent me for Rosh Hashana wishing me a shana tovah. She sent it to my parents and all my siblings. I thought it was so sweet of her!!

We aren't into Chanukah gifts but why not? I'd rather a family picture than a tchachka I don't need.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:57 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
My fridge has pictures of nieces and nephews. I like those gifts.
My parents proudly display pictures I send them, of our children.
Yes they genuinely like it.

With all due respect, what you have on your fridge is not what I am asking about. I am asking those who have received framed photos of their children/grandchildren if they like to receive it as a gift.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:59 am
Reality wrote:
One sister would just send when she took her kids for pictures.

Another sister just sent me for Rosh Hashana wishing me a shana tovah. She sent it to my parents and all my siblings. I thought it was so sweet of her!!

We aren't into Chanukah gifts but why not? I'd rather a family picture than a tchachka I don't need.

I hear you re: a tchachka you don't need. My dad, for example, needs nothing and yet I know this is not a gift he would want. I do not have grandkids yet.

I'm wondering about how people feel when they get a framed photo as a gift for an occasion like a birthday or chanukah. People always suggest it. My dad is pretty easy to know, this is not a gift for him... so I thought others here who have gotten this from their children would answer.

Reality

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hear you re: a tchachka you don't need. My dad, for example, needs nothing and yet I know this is not a gift he would want. I do not have grandkids yet.

I'm wondering about how people feel when they get a framed photo as a gift for an occasion like a birthday or chanukah. People always suggest it. My dad is pretty easy to know, this is not a gift for him... so I thought others here who have gotten this from their children would answer.

If you know your father isn't into pictures don't send him one. What would he like? To go out with you/your family? A book or a sefer? To have an old sefer rebound? A very nice hardcover addition of his favorite book. Would he like a plant or a wind chime? How about a nice pen? A new tallis.

Do any of those sound like something he'd like?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:16 pm
Reality wrote:
If you know your father isn't into pictures don't send him one. What would he like? To go out with you/your family? A book or a sefer? To have an old sefer rebound? A very nice hardcover addition of his favorite book. Would he like a plant or a wind chime? How about a nice pen? A new tallis.

Do any of those sound like something he'd like?

He's impossible to please. Forget him. He hates everything. This year I got him one of those blankets with sleeves and he can keep it or re-gift it.

I'm asking in general (and to know what my inlaws are thinking!).

mindyme

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:17 pm
As a Bubby I am very happy to get any and all pictures of my grandchildren (bonus points if their parents are included), for any occasion. Collages as magnets, in frames, professional photos, non-professional ones, shutterfly albums - bring it on!

amother
Molasses

No I would not want such a gift. The only exception is grandparents. I know my parents and others who request it as a gift. I've given beautiful framed, or metal prints etc... but I don't think anyone else other than grandparents appreciate it.

amother
Seagreen

I like receiving framed pictures as a gift. My daughter sent me a picture of my first grandchild printed on canvas for my birthday. It is lovely. I have it hanging. However, since it is an 11x14 it is a bit big to have of only one grandchild, especially as said grandchild now has a baby sibling.

It is not hanging in the living room with the other family pictures, as none of the other family pictures are nearly that size and it looked odd there. As in huge baby next to much smaller pics of everyone else.

Moral of the story: pictures? Love 'em. But give a thought to where they would hang in the house.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:31 pm
No, I would not like to receive framed photos.

As the safta, if I want to display photos, I want to choose which ones to develop and frame. For example, I like natural photos and really don't need a studio family portrait. I also want to choose the frame. My décor is casual but everything was chosen with care, and I don't like it when someone foists a décor choice on me.

I do love receiving fridge magnet photos or stam photos that I can stick on the fridge. Those aren't permanent type gifts that will need to be displayed on a shelf forever. Fridge photos are fun.

That said, we don't really do chanuka gifts at all and I am not expecting anything (we are in Israel and at least in my circles chanuka gift giving is not a thing). But in any case, I would prefer nothing to a framed picture that I must display long term, whether I like the frame or specific photo or not.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'm not a grandparent but grandparents are always asking us for pictures. They enjoy it and appreciate it.

my mama

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:42 pm
My mom requested a canvas print of the kids. She's making a gallery wall and it's expensive getting them all herself.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics