Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
S/o...1990s memories!!
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 12:46 am
Just read through all 16 pages of the s/o 1980s thread. I was born in 1990, so not everything was familiar.
Any other 90s people want to reminisce?

I was so happy to see chew chews on that list- we loved those! It was THE trip nosh.
Guzzlers.
Shufra made some heaven, milchig candy bars (I remember one was called Rikki). One had 3 or 4 "humps" filled with some praline, maybe?
Renting videos for Chanuka or midwinter vacation from Linick's Toys or Reel to Real (Boro Park).
I clearly remember when donuts went up in price from 35 to 45 cents (today they are probably $1.75 each!).
I have vague memories of my mother using tokens for the subway.
Wrap skirts.
Benetton tshirts- we would buy the boys sizes if the girls' were sold out.
The hairstyle where they left the middle longer in the back, I think it was called (appropriately) a "tail".

Zehava

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 12:48 am
I have vague memories of a big water bottle sized colored drink that probably tasted like garbage. Anyone?

SYA

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 12:51 am
Large metal frame glasses

Typing was an English subject - QWERTY versus azerty. How many letters can you type correctly per minute?

Bookkeeping on special graph paper.

French as the second language for the NYS regents.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 12:54 am
Zehava wrote:
I have vague memories of a big water bottle sized colored drink that probably tasted like garbage. Anyone?

Mondo? Or was that later?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 12:55 am
SYA wrote:
Large metal frame glasses

Typing was an English subject - QWERTY versus azerty. How many letters can you type correctly per minute?

Bookkeeping on special graph paper.

French as the second language for the NYS regents.

I took 3 years of French (and did really well)! Is it still offered?

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 12:59 am
Zehava wrote:

Thirst quencher?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 12:59 am
Does anyone remember Bina Gold mysteries? For some reason, they never really caught on.
Beezus and Ramona books (although they are probably a lot older than we are), Mrs. Piggle Wiggle.
Ordering Scholastic books through the school every few months, on real order forms.
Sending away our camera films to be developed, and the pictures coming back some weeks later in purple and white envelopes (Clark company).
Trading Hi Beary stationery. There was a hierarchy- the plastic sheets were the most special. And then they came out with a mini series. I loved my stationery album! Getting nostalgic!

Zehava

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:02 am
member wrote:
Thirst quencher?

I really wouldn’t even know I think I was pretty young when they discontinued them. I remember having them when I was around 7 I think.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:03 am
The Internet was introduced to the New York City public schools in 1993, to the best of my recollection. It was really a big deal!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:34 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
The Internet was introduced to the New York City public schools in 1993, to the best of my recollection. It was really a big deal!

This sparked a funny memory: We had a listening passage on a government test. The teacher read aloud, "Jack surfed the net...". I had no idea what she was saying! I was imagining some kind of fishing while on a surfboard. Very Happy (This was in 2004.)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:36 am
And the memories keep coming (sorry, don't mean to be monopolizing the thread, just having fun! Feel free to jump in too!)
Closely following the Bush-Gore elections (2000). My teacher used to record the debates as they played on the radio, then play it for us in class on her Walkman.
Which reminds me of Y2K- we thought the world was coming to an end!

Reality

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:38 am
The Rachel haircut anyone?

Platform shoes

Little jeweled chopper clips in your hair or jeweled bobby pins

Brown lipstick

Beingreal

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:40 am
Oooo this is good! Does anyone remember string thing? Or getting an email was a big deal? Or getting a letter in the mail was a big deal? Chinese jump rope... Pogo sticks, and lanyard..... Trading stationary....

WhatFor

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:42 am
Butterflies in the hair.
Yoyos made a comeback.
I know people said this in the 80s but Lisa Frank stationary and stickers were still a big deal in the 90s. And trapper keepers too!
Those black patent leather clunky heel shoes... I forget what we called them or if they had a name.
That gooey stuff that came out of the 99c machines.
99c stores still sold things for 99c (not including tax lol)
The macarena
The Backstreet Boys
Britney Spears

WhatFor

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:45 am
Oh and Barbie girl.
Speaking of which, someone tried to make a knockoff Barbie named Skipper I think.
Beanie babies!
Tamagachis

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:55 am
Yes, we felt so big when we reached Trappers age, like 5th grade.

Disposable cameras, especially for sleepaway camp.

When cell phones were just becoming a little more popular, I remember overhearing someone telling my mother that they had gotten one for her elderly father, so that when he walks down the street and speaks to himself, people will think he's on the phone. (We all appear to be speaking to ourselves these days, and no one bats an eyelash.)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:56 am
WhatFor wrote:
Oh and Barbie girl.
Speaking of which, someone tried to make a knockoff Barbie named Skipper I think.
Beanie babies!
Tamagachis

Was that that little electronic toy that needed lots of TLC?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:58 am
Shmuel Kunda tapes!! The Magic Yarmulka was a green casette, and one of the later ones was maroon.
Can we reminisce about those? I loved them, and can recite most of them nearly by heart. I'm so sad that today's generation doesn't really know them.

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 2:19 am
Okay, this literally took me like hours, but I gathered some fun recollection items and wanted to share but thought it would take too long for me to upload each picture so I made this collage

hope you guys enjoy Smile

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 2:20 am
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics