Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Girl names connected to tzniyut
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 7:12 am
I think that the difference between naming for tznius vs other characteristics is that there are choices involved in the future. And that a child who knows they are named for this purpose could easily feel pressured, regarding a subject that is often contentious. My instinct is that if you did this, I wouldn't tell her the exact reason, but it's coming from your kids, so that's not happening.

Naming after someone like Sarah Imenu who is known for Shabbos candles always burning works nicely in my head, because Ashkenazim cover our faces when we light (and it's not for tznius purposes- it's halachik). Meaning, you can name for the position she is in without her having the burden of "You're the tznius one" her whole life.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 7:23 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I think that the difference between naming for tznius vs other characteristics is that there are choices involved in the future. And that a child who knows they are named for this purpose could easily feel pressured, regarding a subject that is often contentious. My instinct is that if you did this, I wouldn't tell her the exact reason, but it's coming from your kids, so that's not happening.

Naming after someone like Sarah Imenu who is known for Shabbos candles always burning works nicely in my head, because Ashkenazim cover our faces when we light (and it's not for tznius purposes- it's halachik). Meaning, you can name for the position she is in without her having the burden of "You're the tznius one" her whole life.

People name their kids aspirational things all the time. My youngest daughter's name happens to be emunah, and my other daughters also have similarly meaningful names.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:56 am
I think it's fine to name the baby inspired by tznius.

Here's why.

She isn't literally naming the baby "Tzenua" . She's naming her, presumably a very normal name that happens to also be connected to tznius (the suggestions given are Sarah, Esther, Avigayil, Yael... these are all normal names, not ones where the girl would hear her entire life WOW why did your mother name you that? and then you have to tell the story).

Lhavdil ,, some gentiles name their children things that mean "small", and then the child is very big, and it's awkward. This is not like that. Nobody would be constantly making the connection her entire life. Esther is the name I thought of immediately, and how many Esthers do you know? It's by far the most common name of people in my life. In fact I would say probably 30% of the women I regularly interact with are name Esther/Esti!!! (And it's not a family name for me!)

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 6:09 am
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
I think it's fine to name the baby inspired by tznius.

Here's why.

She isn't literally naming the baby "Tzenua" . She's naming her, presumably a very normal name that happens to also be connected to tznius (the suggestions given are Sarah, Esther, Avigayil, Yael... these are all normal names, not ones where the girl would hear her entire life WOW why did your mother name you that? and then you have to tell the story).

Lhavdil ,, some gentiles name their children things that mean "small", and then the child is very big, and it's awkward. This is not like that. Nobody would be constantly making the connection her entire life. Esther is the name I thought of immediately, and how many Esthers do you know? It's by far the most common name of people in my life. In fact I would say probably 30% of the women I regularly interact with are name Esther/Esti!!! (And it's not a family name for me!)

Just curious, what gentile names are you talking about that mean small, other than Klein as a last name?

I agree with you as long as OP doesn't name her Kimchit.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names