Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Baked gefilte fish recipe and covered or not?
Previous  1  2

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 2:36 am
ra_mom wrote:
If you're making without sauce and enjoy firm non liquidy gefilte fish bake it uncovered.

Unwrap paper, rub roll with olive oil, stick into a snug loaf pan, and bake uncovered at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes - 1 hour and 30 minutes (depending on your oven. check after 1 hr 10 min. if top is dry and just starting to turn beige it's ready. if it's still a little wet keep it in the oven for longer.)

Do you add seasoning or sugar? Does it get crusty?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 2:43 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Do you add seasoning or sugar? Does it get crusty?

You don't need to add seasoning (A&B is well seasoned, as I'm sure other brands are too).
It doesn't get crusty as you take it out before it really browns. I like it but if you like a weather more traditional gefilte, many people make it with water and seasoning, covered, in the oven.

lucky14

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 8:45 am
I agree. Uncovered at 375 or 400 for an hour- 1.5 hours depending on your oven and which temp you choose. just spray a pan or baking dish or lightly coat with oil, put the unwrapped fish in, sprinkle with paprika, garlic powder and pepper (or nothing if you don't want anything), and spray a little more oil on top. Alternatively you can pre-slice and lay flat before baking and they get even more well-done (just bake for a shorter amount of time).

amother
Outerspace

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:23 am
What is accomplished by unwrapping? If I make a few rolls at a time in a deep 9X12, and I dont want a crust to form, I want it tasting like boiled, why would I want the rolls touching, and losing shape, unwrapped?

4g01o

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:33 am
I bake mine with the bakewell paper still on

amother
Outerspace

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:39 am
Any reason I shouldnt put rolls in baking tin with paper on, with water, onion, carrots, celery, just as if Im boiling it?

4g01o

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:46 am
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
Any reason I shouldnt put rolls in baking tin with paper on, with water, onion, carrots, celery, just as if Im boiling it?

Nope I do it like this. I don't eat gefilta fish but my husband and son like it so I make it this way...

jflower

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:47 am

Taking a tin out of the oven with lots of water in it is a bit tricky. My oven is above the stove top and I have had boiling water pour over my hands as I attempt to carefully remove the fish from the oven. Be careful.

I now wear elbow length silicone oven mitts when removing food from the oven.

amother
Outerspace

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:54 am
jflower wrote:
Taking a tin out of the oven with lots of water in it is a bit tricky. My oven is above the stove top and I have had boiling water pour over my hands as I attempt to carefully remove the fish from the oven. Be careful.

I now wear elbow length silicone oven mitts when removing food from the oven.

Thanks! My oven is below cooktop level. But after 1 1/2 hours its still swimming in that much water?

I put in an inch of water, with sliced onions and carrots, I would think a lot of the water will evaporate during baking.

momma123

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:01 am
If my fish seems soggy when I take it out of the oven, I wrap it up in paper towel for a little while. It absorbs a lot of the water and the fish is firm and dry

amother
Outerspace

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:08 am
momma123 wrote:
If my fish seems soggy when I take it out of the oven, I wrap it up in paper towel for a little while. It absorbs a lot of the water and the fish is firm and dry

Fish is more soggy after baking it in the oven, than when you boil it?

tweety1

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:49 am

We officially cook our gefilta fish this way every week.

tweety1

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:51 am
Fish is more soggy after baking it in the oven, than when you boil it?

Not by me. I started baking it as a mistake. Wasnt feeling well one week. My dh was helping me. Decided to try baking it the same way we cook it and it was a winner. With one minor difference-- theres no pot to wash afterwards.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 7:20 pm
6 of one half a dozen of the other.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen