Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Hollywood q+ School bus to nmb?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 2:58 pm
I’m looking into moving to Hollywood; don’t mind being a pioneer but still lost in the different neighborhoods.

Which ones are ok/not ok to live in, in terms of safety, proximity to a minyan etc?
What is madison, grant, 40-50th streets like?

How does it work here, Once people start moving in, is it possible to start a minyan, or it has to be an official shul with a building, so if you move to a non Jewish area you’re stuck without a shul?

I heard there’s some school busing between Hollywood and schools in NMB. Is that so, from what area in Hollywood?

Thanks a lot!

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 3:14 pm
Hollywood is a massive community, there are many buses to toras emes and bais yaakov every day. From what I've heard there are no houses for sale in the currently frum areas of Hollywood, but like you said- there are some pioneers moving to the peripheral areas.
I don't know any frum people that live in the specific areas you mentioned though.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 3:30 pm
It's the #1 spot in S. FL that frum people are moving too. So, no pioneering;)

There are buses as well as teachers who will drive students from Hollywood to NMB for pay. Transportation shouldn't be an issue, just be aware with traffic it can be a trip. I know people who do it everyday and they said the drive can be close to an hour each way.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 3:55 pm
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:

The areas she mentioned would definitly be considered pioneering. No shul there that I know of, maybe chabad.
OP the best thing to do would be in touch with a frum realtor who can tell you who's moving to the other side of Sheridan street where the frum community is slowly spreading past Emerald Hills.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 4:46 pm
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:

There are buses as well as teachers who will drive students from Hollywood to NMB for pay. Transportation shouldn't be an issue, just be aware with traffic it can be a trip. I know people who do it everyday and they said the drive can be close to an hour each way.

Where from Hollywood are those buses going from, like approx what streets?
I did speak to a real estate agent but he has no clue about transportation to nmb.
I also want to get info from regular people who know what’s going on in the ground so to speak, and not from agents, because I got a feeling from someone that he just wanted to sell a house even if it’s not in a Jewish area, and was marketing it as « up and coming ». I want to get unbiased info.

Close to an hour is very far for driving, for me —again, if there’s busing it’s a different story but for driving myself not an option. Strange, where I was looking on the map -those presidents name streets, shows 20 mins to nmb.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 4:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where from Hollywood are those buses going from, like approx what streets?
I did speak to a real estate agent but he has no clue about transportation to nmb.
I also want to get info from regular people who know what’s going on in the ground so to speak, and not from agents, because I got a feeling from someone that he just wanted to sell a house even if it’s not in a Jewish area, and was marketing it as « up and coming ». I want to get unbiased info.

Close to an hour is very far for driving, for me —again, if there’s busing it’s a different story but for driving myself not an option. Strange, where I was looking on the map -those presidents name streets, shows 20 mins to nmb.

North 46th Avenue and North Hills drive is the epicenter of the frum community. The buses used to do pick up and drop off in the Winn dixie shopping plaza right there, but have since changed to a scheduled route picking up the kids around that area.
I can get you the info of a frum realtor if you want.
btw- hollywood to nmb is only a 15/ 20 minute drive. It's the traffic thats the problem.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 4:54 pm
Look up the young israel of hollywood on stirling road, from that point until sheridan street is the bulk of the main frum community going North South.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 5:01 pm
With traffic, during peak driving time, the drive is basically stop and go. I know someone who does the drive each day to a school. She drives city streets, her co-worker (who drives a carpool) takes the highway, and either way it takes close to an hour.

aimhabanim

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 5:33 pm
I know there’s a van that takes kids to Yeshiva elementary school/yms/aderes

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 5:44 pm
amother [ Impatiens ] wrote:
North 46th Avenue and North Hills drive is the epicenter of the frum community. The buses used to do pick up and drop off in the Winn dixie shopping plaza right there, but have since changed to a scheduled route picking up the kids around that area.
I can get you the info of a frum realtor if you want.
btw- hollywood to nmb is only a 15/ 20 minute drive. It's the traffic thats the problem.

Id appreciate the name of realtor, thank you.

Do you know how much busing costs per kid?
Does state or township pay anything for transportation?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 5:53 pm
Ok so looking at the map, tell me if I got it right

basically emerald hills and oak ridge are Jewish, and a bit south of Sheridan avenue is becoming Jewish but with smaller houses?

What kind of neighborhood is around 46th ave between w park rd and Johnson st, and what type between Johnson street and Hollywood Blvd? Meaning, is it high crime, or regular working people family neighborhood; is it predominantly black, or Spanish, or white etc

amother
Maize

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 6:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Id appreciate the name of realtor, thank you.

Do you know how much busing costs per kid?
Does state or township pay anything for transportation?

There is no state funding for transportation. If you want to find out how much bussing costs and from what general area they pick up from, I'd suggest calling the school office.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 6:24 pm
I heard from my friend that it is somewhere within the range of $500 monthly for an organized shuttle van/mini bus. It sounded expensive tbh.
It's probably cheaper to pay a teacher who is driving anyway. She did it last year. I think she said she charged $50 per kid per week.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 7:22 pm
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
There is no state funding for transportation. If you want to find out how much bussing costs and from what general area they pick up from, I'd suggest calling the school office.

I’m not ready to call schools directly yet, as e whole thing is pending while we are trying to do research.

amother
Maize

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 7:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m not ready to call schools directly yet, as e whole thing is pending while we are trying to do research.

You don't have to say your name or anything. Just tell them you are looking into the possibility of moving to Hollywood and trying to figure out if it could work and you had a couple logistical question. Trust me, they get many questions like that. Half the east coast is looking into moving here...

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok so looking at the map, tell me if I got it right

basically emerald hills and oak ridge are Jewish, and a bit south of Sheridan avenue is becoming Jewish but with smaller houses?

What kind of neighborhood is around 46th ave between w park rd and Johnson st, and what type between Johnson street and Hollywood Blvd? Meaning, is it high crime, or regular working people family neighborhood; is it predominantly black, or Spanish, or white etc

Yes you basically got that right! The area of west hollywood also has nice minyan now
I've heard rumors that the area between park and Johnson is starting to become frum very slowly. The area does have some Israeli's, White, Spanish- a whole mix. I don't think it has a high crime rate but the houses are smaller, the area a bit shabbier but not bad. You can try reaching out to Johnathan Chames, he lives in Hollywood and I think is quite knowledgeable about the real estate situation there right now. https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathan-chames/

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 2:20 am
A lot of hollywood kids also bus to Boca for High School.

amother
Acacia

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:31 am
Busing to toras emes from Hollywood is about $1500 a year per kid.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:33 am
And what are the boundaries of north Miami Beach, between what street and avenue numbers?

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And what are the boundaries of north Miami Beach, between what street and avenue numbers?

10th avenue area but I can't give you more details, I'm not as familiar enough with the area. I'd recommend changing your title so you get the NMB ladies to give you more info
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating