Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Sensitive Child

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 12:47 am
Looking for tips or suggestions. My child has a few good friends but he is overly sensitive. There are a few difficult boys in his class, and for years he’s had issues with them, partially his fault that he has difficulty understanding intent and gets upset over many minor infractions. This causes them to pick on him more… For example, he’s constantly complaining to the teacher about silly things like them cutting the line.

I’m tired of hearing about this all the time and feel that it’s time for the school to crack down on the problem children because every so often the harassment turns into real bullying, and it is just too constant. The school is very receptive, and will work with me.

Before I ask the school to get serious I want to show that my son has really improved in his reactions. I’d love to hear any ideas because we’ve discussed this so many times and he hasn’t changed much.

amother
Mayflower

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 2:58 am
Is your son on the autism spectrum? He needs to learn more social skills, because the world will not stop being mean just because he doesn't like it. It's much better to teach him resiliency, than to try and make everything nice for him.

Oldest

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:40 am
Have you role played? Instead of just discussing it, actually act out the scenario so that he gets practice with the proper reaction. That may make the skill stick more

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:42 am
A social skills group could be very beneficial.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:51 am
Thank you for the responses!
He is not on the autism spectrum, he’s a neurotypical child who is a bit too sensitive.
Role playing is a good idea, the problem is that these issues happen mostly at school, but I will try acting it out with him.
A social skills group is also a good idea, any recommendations of someone really good in the Lakewood area?
Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children