Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
To fix or buy new dryer- what's more economical?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:55 pm
My dryer is 12 years old, it's on top of my washer. One part needs to be replaced and it cost betweeen 200-300 to replace. If I buy a new dryer I have to buy a new washer because it's stackable and they don't make the same size anymore as the one I have now. So a new washer and dryer would be $1600 and I don't know how long a dryer would last even if I fixed it. Would you try to fix it anyway if it's 12 years old and working well till now or buy new ones?

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 2:18 pm
I would buy one second hand on Marketplace or through some other group. I've done it before, and for the same price as fixing got a working second hand dryer which lasted a few years.

Tof Umachol

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 2:24 pm
I don't know where you are but there are some amazing Black Friday sales on appliances.
Maybe you should check them out.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 3:15 pm
I would bite the bullet and buy new appliances because after 12 years they are both effectively at the end of their reasonable life expectancy.

I had this issue with my HVAC system this Spring as it wasn’t working right and I had several service calls. I told the repair person that I was fine with replacing it because it was old but he told me that it looked fine so I had the expensive repair done.

That didn’t solve the problem as there was a leak and it wouid turn itself off. I finally told him to replace it and when he did he told me that the interior of the machine was corroded but that he couldn’t have known until he took it off because the exterior looked in good condition.

At a certain point when mechanical things become old, all of the parts are on their last legs. Plastic, rubber and even metal wear out.

The only reason to repair it is if you want to delay spending for the new machines for some reason. I have done that with an older car because I wanted to delay getting a new car for a few months and so the cost of the repairs which would last for a few months was less than what the cost of the new car would be for a similar period when I factored in increased insurance and registration fees. It also wasn’t an optimum time for me to spend time researching and looking for cars.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 3:20 pm
Is the washer also 12 years old? Is it a set that connects together?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 7:17 pm
just went through this and had the dryer fixed.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Is the washer also 12 years old? Is it a set that connects together?
We bought it at the same time but technically they're sold separately. The washer is also 12 years old but works well.

tweety1

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We bought it at the same time but technically they're sold separately. The washer is also 12 years old but works well.

If it's still working well I'd fix it. Very likely it will still take you another 2-3 years. I think its worth it.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:18 pm
tweety1 wrote:
If it's still working well I'd fix it. Very likely it will still take you another 2-3 years. I think its worth it.

I agree with this.
And the newer the item, the shorter the life span.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics