Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Gift idea for male therapist, no sugar

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 7:28 pm
Hi. I wanted to get a candy/nuts platter but he can’t have sugar. Any nice ideas?

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 7:48 pm
Gift certificate. Nut or fruit platter (check that nothing in it has sugar added). Sugarless chocolates. Nice wine.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 7:51 pm
imasinger wrote:
Gift certificate. Nut or fruit platter (check that nothing in it has sugar added). Sugarless chocolates. Nice wine.

Thank you. I kind of don’t like gift certs because then they know exactly what you spent…

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:05 pm
he wont use it.
just give cash. who wants a nut platter?

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. I kind of don’t like gift certs because then they know exactly what you spent…

OTOH then they can get exactly what they want.
I object to gift certs because they force people to shop at a particular vendor when they could possibly, or probably, get the same thing for less elsewhere.
If someone gave you a $25 gift certificate to Oscar de la Yenta, what could you buy there--a pair of socks?

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:32 pm
-travel mug like the contigo is always useful.
-visa gift card
-plant for his office
-A pen set
-box of teas

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:07 pm
I only give gift cards to places like Amazon or the local store that I know anyone would easily use, not to random small businesses.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:29 pm
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
he wont use it.

Cash is tacky to a therapist imho.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:52 pm
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
he wont use it.

I would love a nut platter, but then again, my favorite are the sugar coated nuts🤷‍♀️

But seriously, why can’t you give a player of nuts and dried fruit?
It is much classier than candy. There are Costco and there specific ones (please double check) I believe are under the star-K

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 2:04 am
What about a set of accessories for wine (you can usually buy boxed sets with a corkscrew, one of those drip-prevention thingees, fancy stopper, etc.)?

imasinger

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 5:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not to a therapist. A friend, sure; or an adult family member. But not here.

Cash is thoughtful, because it's something he can definitely use, and doesn't have to return or deal with having 3 of from clients who all think they're doing him a favor.

Most therapists and teachers I know would rather $20 and a heartfelt, personal note than a fancy $50 platter of something, or a $100 item they already have too many of. And they have absolutely zero judgement about how much the giver is spending.

Since gift giving should focus on the pleasure of the recipient rather than the giver, it's worth overcoming that feeling that cash isn't a good gift.

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 5:19 am
imasinger wrote:
Not to a therapist. A friend, sure; or an adult family member. But not here.

Cash is thoughtful, because it's something he can definitely use, and doesn't have to return or deal with having 3 of from clients who all think they're doing him a favor.

Most therapists and teachers I know would rather $20 and a heartfelt, personal note than a fancy $50 platter of something, or a $100 item they already have too many of. And they have absolutely zero judgement about how much the giver is spending.

Since gift giving should focus on the pleasure of the recipient rather than the giver, it's worth overcoming that feeling that cash isn't a good gift.

As a therapist I’d be very surprised to get a cash gift and would be questioning if I can take it.

A contigo or gift card is a nice idea.

naomi2

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 5:39 am
Can we clarify it this is a child's related services therapist such as an ot or speech therapist, or is this your social worker or psychologist?
The former should get a small gift or money, the latter- nothing.

amother
Tuberose

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 5:42 am
DrMom wrote:
What about a set of accessories for wine (you can usually buy boxed sets with a corkscrew, one of those drip-prevention thingees, fancy stopper, etc.)?

My best friend is a therapist and is a recovered alcoholic. She never touches wine. You have to know if a person would appreciate such a gift.

amother
Aster

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 6:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I can guarantee you as a therapist speaking (speech therapist) id much prefer 20$ than a stupid contigo cup that gets added to the collection or thrown in the garbage. We dont get paid nearly enough. What do I need a useless cup for?

Zehava

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:03 am
Charcuterie platter, cured fish platter, nice wine, flowers…

amother
Celeste

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:13 am
If he can't have sugar then dried fruits or any fruits are a bad idea.
Plain roasted nuts are fine.
Are you allowed to give a gift to a therapist?

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:34 am
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
I can guarantee you as a therapist speaking (speech therapist) id much prefer 20$ than a stupid contigo cup that gets added to the collection or thrown in the garbage. We dont get paid nearly enough. What do I need a useless cup for?

Ok speech therapist/ pt etc are a totally different story. I was assuming this is a mental health counselor/ Sw/ psychologis, we also don’t get paid well but I would be very uncomfortable recievjng cash.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics