Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How do I know if this is normal teenage behavior or somethin

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:38 pm
That needs to be addressed?

Dd12 yells like a witch at home all day. In school and with friends she is a well behaved and a great sought after friend.
At home she’s nervous and angry at everyone and fighting and yelling nonstop.
How do I know if it’s normal teenage behavior or something more. It’s hard to be in her presence these days.
Do I judge by the way she acts at home or with friends?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:34 pm
I have a child like this. I make her "try again" when she roars. I hope one day it sinks in.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:47 pm
amother [ Bluebonnet ] wrote:
I have a child like this. I make her "try again" when she roars. I hope one day it sinks in.

Oh I keep telling her that the roaring is unacceptable but of course it falls on deaf ears. My question is if it’s normal by this age to always be angry and moody at home or I need to get help?

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That needs to be addressed?

Dd12 yells like a witch at home all day. In school and with friends she is a well behaved and a great sought after friend.
At home she’s nervous and angry at everyone and fighting and yelling nonstop.
How do I know if it’s normal teenage behavior or something more. It’s hard to be in her presence these days.
Do I judge by the way she acts at home or with friends?

Has she always been like this or is it new?
Sounds like emotional dysregulation. She can hold it together with her friends for social reasons.

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:02 pm
It's not unusual.

The hormones are running rampant at that age, and social life becomes much more pressured, too.

Make sure to spend some positive time with her, which often is at the most inconvenient time for a parent when they're that age.

small bean

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:13 pm
I think it is normal.

Im told once they get their periods, a lot of that aggression goes away. Im waiting for my daughter to get hers. Lol

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:13 pm
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
Has she always been like this or is it new?
Sounds like emotional dysregulation. She can hold it together with her friends for social reasons.

Pretty new. I’d say less than a year.
What needs to be done to emotional dysregulation?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:13 pm
small bean wrote:
I think it is normal.

Im told once they get their periods, a lot of that aggression goes away. Im waiting for my daughter to get hers. Lol

She actually recently got it.
Does it go away overnight? Can't Believe It

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:14 pm
imasinger wrote:
It's not unusual.

The hormones are running rampant at that age, and social life becomes much more pressured, too.

Make sure to spend some positive time with her, which often is at the most inconvenient time for a parent when they're that age.

I try but I’ll try even harder. Thanks!

imaima

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 12:06 am
I think normal.
It is actually a good sign since she feels that home is a place where sh can relax and express her feelings. She holds it together for friends and teachers.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 4:51 am
It's easy to blame the hormones and probably us the cause. But still keep an eye.
She needs to remove herself from any aggravating situation until she is able to manage better . So a sibling annoys you, move away from her.
Sometimes I've seen on some of my kids the holding it together in school all day is such a strain that when they come home they just let rip. For this I recommend when she comes home she takes 30 minutes to do something....mine used to jump on the trampoline, bike ride, play an instrument... Whatever it is you think will help her .
Pg the stage passes soon
She may then have more control for the rest of the eve

amother
Cadetblue

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:03 am
Totally normal. And I'm sorry doesn't get any better when they get their period. The week before and week of period is very hormonal time. Just continue to give her love and attention. It is a very difficult time for them with all these huge changes. Hugs😘

amother
Cognac

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:18 am
My DD is an emotional mess around the time of her period. She is mostly moody, frustrated, overly critical. Then about a week later a switch flips and she is back to herself. I’m wondering if she needs to be on meds for PMS but of course I’m giving this more time. She is only 12 going on 13. Hoping things will even out eventually.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:29 am
It's normal to be moody and immature about a week before her period comes. My 12 yr old daughter settled down recently into this pattern.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children