Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Spin off... 1980s
  Previous  1  2  3  16  17  18

mommyla

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:43 am
Chayalle wrote:
I remember in the low 80's, I think when I was in the 3rd grade...we used to color our palms with marker, and then spread it with glue. As the glue semi-dried, we'd start sort of swirling and smushing it, forming a colored, sticky mess. Then we'd shape it into a square, and when it fully dried, draw dots on it to create a die.

We thought that was super-cool, of course.

(and our mothers for sure wondered why we persistently colored our palms...)

We used to do this!! And make longs ropes out of them. We also did it on top of our pencil boxes, those hard plastic ones with the raised dots, what were they called?? But that was probably the early 90s. I’m a mid-80s baby and thoroughly enjoying both of these threads Very Happy

Sprinkles1

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:44 am
Simple1 wrote:
I also remember that. Not sure if anyone remembers fruit leather on the finger - yuck. (Or is it still done?)

Oh yeah, how funny!
Remember Cool-aid in your hand and dipping finger into it an licking it off

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 5:26 pm
I remember when Brooklyn, Queens, and staten island were switching to (718). And when my camp friends from Monsey and upstate had (914) area codes!

Did anyone else watch DeGrassi Junior High? For New Yorkers, it was on channel 13!

I remember Alexander's in New York. I also remember Waldbaum's, Grand Union, and A&P!

When we were upstate in the summer, we would go to Caldor.

I remember when Gap introduced GapKids (maybe '88 or '89). They had a catalog with a whole family wearing yellow and white rugby shirts. There were two GapKids in the whole of Manhattan.

CitiField was Shea Stadium, and to get from Queens to Brooklyn, you took the Interboro.

PurpleandGold

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:33 pm
Esky Cook artwork graced the handouts and bulletin boards of every classroom in every BY in the US.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:15 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I remember in the low 80's, I think when I was in the 3rd grade...we used to color our palms with marker, and then spread it with glue. As the glue semi-dried, we'd start sort of swirling and smushing it, forming a colored, sticky mess. Then we'd shape it into a square, and when it fully dried, draw dots on it to create a die.

So funny we didn’t even go to same school, and I also made dice.
We used to also make little animal shapes out of the glue

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:17 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Definitely grew up on Beverly Cleary. She authored all the Ralph books and the Ramona series. My kids also enjoyed these when they were younger.

For some reason my mother did not like Judy Blume, and I wasn't given those to read.

Lol Judy Blume books were very out there for yeshivish kids. Are you there… it’s me Margaret is where we all learnt about periods. It was scandalous

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:38 pm
Early 80's - watching Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy. As a teen in the mid 80's Family Ties, Growing Pains, Different Strokes, Silver Spoons and Moonlighting!!
Wearing a rubber guard over swatch watches
Benneton and izod
Those denimy looking loose leaf binders
The coke can thing that danced when you played music

Seminary year:
Cowboy Fudge on Ben Yehuda
Off the Square
Changing money at Ami's felafel
Uri's Pizza
Geulah Pancake House
Asimonim
Calling home from seminary 2x a month only
Tea biscuits being the only cookies in Israel
Driving our tiyul bus drivers crazy when we blasted the MBC song "We need you" on the bus
Cartisiya for busses in Israel and not rav kav
Asking a chayal for the black bracelet thingy which (I think) came from a grenade
Wearing two of those black rubber goomy thinks somehow interwoven

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:17 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
Early 80's - watching Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy. As a teen in the mid 80's Family Ties, Growing Pains, Different Strokes, Silver Spoons and Moonlighting!!
Benneton and izod

Seminary year:
Off the Square
Uri's Pizza
Geulah Pancake House
Asimonim
Driving our tiyul bus drivers crazy when we blasted the MBC song "We need you" on the bus
Asking a chayal for the black bracelet thingy which (I think) came from a grenade

You bring back the best memories of Israel seminary year.
You forgot the facts of life in your show list

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:20 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
Benneton and izod

Seminary year:
Off the Square
Uri's Pizza
Geulah Pancake House
Asimonim

We used to ask the chayalim to hold their guns and take photos with them!

chanchy123

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:57 pm
Chayalle wrote:

We did that too, in Israel, in the late 80s and also the very early 90s (but in Israel the 80s were in full swing until 1992 - at least).
It’s funny because a lot of the books mentioned in the thread, my mother had read and loved (in the early 60s) and passed on to me, I think my grandmother read Betsy Tacey- they took place in the early 20s didn’t they (or maybe pre-ww1).
My mother made sure I read Are You There God… she definitely read Nancy Drew etc.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:26 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
Benneton and izod

Seminary year:
Off the Square
Uri's Pizza
Geulah Pancake House
Asimonim

You go the Israel thing perfect, except I think I only called home once a month. And girls asking Chayalim for bullets, I managed to get a bullet when a Chayal was running for the bus and his gun hit the bus and a bullet fell out.

amother
Iris

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:44 pm
I was in sem in the early 2000s, and I got a picture with an M16, and a live bullet.

I somehow managed to fly home with the bullet in my carryon (totally forgot about it and only realized when I got home!)

Buying alcohol in Israel (over 18) and hiding it in our luggage for coming back to America (under 21...)

Raisin

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 1:19 am
DrMom wrote:
That's what I was thinking.
Nancy Drew stories were first published in the 1930s.
The first Bobbsey Twins book was first published in 1904!
Romper Room was first broadcast in the 1950s.
etc.

Since there were almost no frum kids books then, a lot of us grew up reading non Jewish books, but carefully curated. So no Judy Blume or sweet valley twins for me, but I was allowed Nancy Drew and Enid Blyton and a series we were obsessed with in the UK called the Chalet School, about a boarding school. Basically any books published before about 1960 were ok. Late ones not so much. Being a bookworm I ended up reading things like Sherlock Holmes and Dickens as well once I ran out of books.

We also were allowed Tintin and Asterix but not other comic books. (Dandy, beano, etc)

etky

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 5:53 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Count me in.

Lol.
So I'm told that there are others here who grew up in Israel in the eighties, but you're the only other one I knew about for sure. Very Happy
Page 18 of 18   Previous  1  2  3  16  17  18 Recent Topics