Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Looking for yeshiva for a smart 17yo smart but not a learner
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 12:07 pm
Hi all,
My DS is very smart but not so interested in learning gemara all day. He also has some emotional issues. so I'm looking for a place where he can grow and build his self esteem and confidence that is not so focused on learning and maybe teach him a trade that he can use later.

He is a very ehrliche boy. (no smartphone etc..) very much into watching and playing sports.

I would really appreciate your help or advice.

Good Shabbos

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 12:30 pm
You son is a little on the young side but Yeshiva of mill basin is great!!!! The rebbeim are so warm and it’s a great place. Our son spent many years there

Della

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 12:50 pm
Try Yeshiva of providence (Rabbi Gibber) RI

Cindy Stein

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 12:51 pm
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
You son is a little on the young side but Yeshiva of mill basin is great!!!! The rebbeim are so warm and it’s a great place. Our son spent many years there

Yes he is probably too young for Yeshiva of mill basin. Thank you very much.

Cindy Stein

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 12:54 pm
Della wrote:
Try Yeshiva of providence (Rabbi Gibber) RI

We looked into providence we were told its a small nice yeshiva but not a warm atmosphere. We're looking for something more open minded. Thanks so much

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 2:42 pm
You're looking into a bais medrash program at this point?

Della

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 2:42 pm
Cindy Stein wrote:
We looked into providence we were told its a small nice yeshiva but not a warm atmosphere. We're looking for something more open minded. Thanks so much

I have a friend whose DS was there until last year and his experience was that of a warm Yeshiva. I know both Rabbi Gibber and Rabbi Lipson and they are incredible. Is it worth further research?

Cindy Stein

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 2:45 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
You're looking into a bais medrash program at this point?

He is now in 11th Grade.

Cindy Stein

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 2:49 pm
Della wrote:
I have a friend whose DS was there until last year and his experience was that of a warm Yeshiva. I know both Rabbi Gibber and Rabbi Lipson and they are incredible. Is it worth further research?

Thanks. I know a little about the yeshiva. I don't believe it's a good fit. I think he needs a more fun/chilled environment. GS

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 2:49 pm
That's what I thought... and Providence is just a bais medrash program...

I'm not sure what's with Lev Shlomo in Baltimore these days. They had programs with GEDs, vocational training, teaming up with colleges ala Maalot, building projects, etc but it may have stalled. I wonder if putting you in touch with someone there may have ideas.

Persevere

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 2:50 pm
Waterbury?

Cindy Stein

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 2:51 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
That's what I thought... and Providence is just a bais medrash program...

I'm not sure what's with Lev Shlomo in Baltimore these days. They had programs with GEDs, vocational training, teaming up with colleges ala Maalot, building projects, etc but it may have stalled. I wonder if putting you in touch with someone there may have ideas.

That would be great. Thanks so much

amother
Arcticblue

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 2:54 pm
Unless things have changed drastically over the past couple of years, Lev Shlomo in Baltimore would not be a great place for an "ehrliche boy without a smart phone."

Della

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 3:31 pm
I’ll try two more, with the caveat I’ve been out of the high school loop a few years. Have you tried Rabbi Benders Yeshiva in Far Rockaway or Shaarei Arazim in Monsey?

Wishing you Hatzlocha and good Shabbos.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 3:32 pm
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
Unless things have changed drastically over the past couple of years, Lev Shlomo in Baltimore would not be a great place for an "ehrliche boy without a smart phone."

I agree, but they might have leads into other programs that are matim.

doctorima

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 3:33 pm
Rabbi Bender's yeshiva - Darchei Torah - is amazing, but I don't think it's the right place for OP. Shaarei Arazim could be worth looking into.

Cindy Stein

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 6:54 pm
doctorima wrote:
Rabbi Bender's yeshiva - Darchei Torah - is amazing, but I don't think it's the right place for OP. Shaarei Arazim could be worth looking into.

GV. I know Shaarei Arazim well. Its not a fit. He is a very smart boy just not so focused on learning all day . He needs a place where he can be happy and accomplished without learning gemara all day. Maybe learn a trade

Thank you

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 7:29 pm
Is he looking for a 12th grade program? Can he get his diploma this year and do an after I high school program?

There is
https://yeshivaheichalhatalmud.com/

https://ohryitzchok.org/#

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 9:17 pm
There are boys schools in Teaneck and Englewood, don’t know the names.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 10:14 pm
Della wrote:
I’ll try two more, with the caveat I’ve been out of the high school loop a few years. Have you tried Rabbi Benders Yeshiva in Far Rockaway or Shaarei Arazim in Monsey?

Wishing you Hatzlocha and good Shabbos.

Huh ?!? (Rabbi bender) Darchei Torah is a top learning Yeshiva.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics