Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Can a 9 yr old be facing teenhood already?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 6:24 pm
my 9 yr old dd has been acting like a typical teen for the past couple of week. I know this happens eventually but 9 seems very young, or maybe not. I'm not sure what to do or how to approach this.

some examples of today:
Morning: my hair is so curly, I hate it. I want straight hair. get me a blow dryer and an iron and blow it every day. (said three separate times in one morning)

afternoon: are we going out tonight? we need to do something big or go out every motsai shabos...
(I sometimes go out with them motsai shabbos but often we stay in and have a cozy regular night.)
I explained that we'll be out a couple of nights this week so tonight were staying in and going to bed at a regular time but she whined and complained that it's not fair and that "my teacher said mothers try their best for their children and you're not doing your best"....

evening: she took out a new coloring book that I bought for the family. her little sister wanted the same book so I told DD to rip out one sheet and give it to her little sister. She got really upset and cried "why can't anything be mine in this house?" and then ran to her room all upset.
(to be clear she has an entire closet to herself w tons of girly prizes and accessories and what not...)

I'm at a loss. she used to be easy-going and happy and just regular. I know whining and complaining is normal but it's becoming so often that I'm worrying.

any expert moms care to shed some light?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 9:37 pm
bump

small bean

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 9:39 pm
Yes. Can definitely be growing up.

vintagebknyc

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 10:02 pm
Could be. Or she is having one bad day. Didn’t you ever have one bad day?

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 10:05 pm
Did she recently have strep?

Zehava

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 11:08 pm
I have a kid that age. Often wondered if she’s becoming a teen already😂 this all seems very typical for her. I think it’s just preteen behavior, part of growing up, but not necessarily full-fledged teen just yet. I’m still learning to roll with the punches so to speak.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children