Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Which dishwasher should I buy?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 11:34 pm
First time buying a dishwasher. Any recommendations? Don't want the most expensive, but still good quality. Also is there any company that I should stay away from?
Thanks!

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 7:21 am
The Bosch line is known the be very good. A Miele is a step up but I haven’t been impressed.

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 8:25 am
Just a recommendation - get a dishwasher that the buttons are hidden from view when the dishwasher door is closed.
We have a dishwasher with the buttons on the front. They are touch sensitive, and get pressed all the time by accident - so annoying when there is an entire load of clean, dry dishes that are now wet and soapy just cuz someone stood at the counter for 3 seconds.
Disclaimer: there is a button to press that will lock the control panel so it doesn't respond to getting pressed, but you need to remember to lock it after the load is done....

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:13 am
There are dishwashers were the lights beep every time the door is opened or closed. So for Shabbos those are a problem bec you can’t fully close.

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:21 am
You can't go wrong with a Bosch. I would say they are moderately expensive because they have a range of prices.

My first Bosch lasted for 13 years and was still working but I wanted a paneled dishwasher when I remodeled so I gave it to one of the workers.

Mine doesn't beep or light up unless I run it.

The controls for mine are on the top of the door so only accessible when the door is open so no one can inadvertently press. However I must say I had standard dishwashers with buttons on the front for many years and no one ever turned it on accidentally.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:31 am
I called town appliance with my measurements and asked to speak to someone who could give me recommendations. Shabbos use (as in opening and closing door on shabbos, that's all) was a question I had, as well as the buttons not getting accidentally pressed. I also had heard that an all steel interior would hold up better. Ender up getting a Maytag that fit all my requirements. Had it for a bit over a year and I'm happy with it.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:28 pm
If you have Costco, check into getting a dishwasher from there. Earlier in the year I got one for under $400 on a super sale, including installation & hauling away my old dishwasher. It’s just a basic whirlpool dishwasher. I use it at least 1-2 times daily. So far, it works fine, no issues. Dishes come out clean. Plus it’s very water efficient & outer water bill has gone down slightly since we had it installed.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 3:30 pm
Thank you all!
I have another question
Is it worth it to buy a dishwasher now for $200 off, I will have to keep it in storage until I move and then pay a guy to install it, or should I wait until I move to buy one which includes installation?
I don’t know how much appliance guys charge to install a dishwasher.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 4:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all!
I have another question
Is it worth it to buy a dishwasher now for $200 off, I will have to keep it in storage until I move and then pay a guy to install it, or should I wait until I move to buy one which includes installation?
I don’t know how much appliance guys charge to install a dishwasher.

Are you paying for storage? That might kill your $200 savings right there.

I'd assume the $200 you're saving now will be about the cost of the installation (and moving it is also not super easy). Might as well wait and buy it and get it with installation. One less headache to deal with.

(I paid a few hundred...maybe $400...for installation but that included removing the old dishwasher and changing a lot of the old piping.)

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 8:05 pm
I am very happy with my kitchen aid dishwasher. It was recommended by Town Appliance, and it works like a horse. I have one with the buttons under a little "hood" in the front, but that was bc I didn't want to spend the extra few dollars for the one with hidden controls and I also didn't like the towel bar that the one with the hidden controls has. I didn't want a Bosch because my two friends who got that dishwasher actually said it's really nothing to write home about, so I felt I could get a high quality dishwasher with out the fancy brand "Bosch" written on it. Kitchen Aid works great for me.

If you get the dishwasher now, but don't need it until you move into your kitchen, consider having a plumber hook it up (between 100-200 dollars), or if you're doing construction in the house, just tack it onto the list for your contractor to take care of.

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 8:20 pm
I don't believe that installation is included in any price.

A few pointers from my dishwasher research:

Metal interior means warmer water and a better wash.

Hidden buttons are convenient when you have little kids.

I got some mixed information about Bosch: that the sprayers get full of food if you don't rinse everything off well, and that the cheaper versions aren't so great.

I ended up buying a whirlpool, metal interior, buttons on the top of the door. Had it for a few months and so far I'm very happy with it.

wdta50sakz if you're interested.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics