Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Chanuka oh chanuka song in Yiddish! Or English
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:48 pm
Anyone know of a good link to the above song?

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:59 pm
I don't about links, but I know the song - Chanukah oy Chanukah - in Yiddish.
If you know the tune, I can write the words and post for you.

Have a freilechen, lechtige Chanukah Smile

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:01 pm
Chanukah oy Chanukah a yontef a sheiner
A lustiger a frelicher nito noch azeiner
Alle nacht in dreidlen shpilen mir
Heise gute latkes essen mir.

Geshvinder tzindt kinder
Di dininke lichtelech on.
Zingt al hanisim
Loybt G-tt far di nisim
Un geit gicher tantzn in kon.
Zingt al hanisim etc.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:02 pm
deleted. sorry, got posted twice.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:04 pm
The first song
https://mostlymusic.com/produc.....nukah

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:18 pm
Ty all!! Couldn’t find it anywhere

amotherof3

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:20 pm
Yosef moshe kahana on Amazon music has a chanukah CD with that song in Yiddish.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:22 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
The first song
https://mostlymusic.com/produc.....nukah

Any way to listen free??

amother
Lemonlime

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:23 pm
zaq wrote:
Chanukah oy Chanukah a yontef a sheiner
A lustiger a frelicher nito noch azeiner
Alle nacht in dreidlen shpilen mir
Heise gute latkes essen mir.

Geshvinder tzindt kinder
Di dininke lichtelech on.
Zingt al hanisim
Loybt G-tt far di nisim
Un geit gicher tantzn in kon.
Zingt al hanisim etc.

is yiddish not your first language? these 2 bolded are wrong, among other mistakes

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:35 pm
amother [ Lemonlime ] wrote:
is yiddish not your first language? these 2 bolded are wrong, among other mistakes

Then can you please post corrected, maybe in Hebrew alphabet too? I would love to have it. My grandfather used to sing it and my mother doesn't remember all the words.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:56 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Then can you please post corrected, maybe in Hebrew alphabet too? I would love to have it. My grandfather used to sing it and my mother doesn't remember all the words.

חנוכה אוי חנוכה א יום טוב א שיינע
א ליסטיגע א פרייליכע נישט דא נאך אזיינע
אלע נעכט מיט דריידלעך שפילן מיר
הייסע פרישע לאטקעס עסן מיר

קומטס קינדער
געשווינדער
די חנוכה ליכטעלעך אנצינדן
זינגט על הניסים
און דאנקט פאר די ניסים
און לאמיר אלע טאנצן צוזאמען
זינגט על הניסים
און דאנקט פאר די ניסים

https://jmusic.me/en/harav-yoe.....62500

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 3:01 pm
https://jewishmusic.fm/album/%.....7%A9/

track 9 (slightly different version than above - more elaborate) if a written translation is appreciated lmk

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 3:18 pm
amother [ Lemonlime ] wrote:
. Transliterated from an old songbook if you must know. Cover missing, probably published in the late 1940s or 50s, called something like “Holiday Songster.”

Now in “Songs of our People” published 1961, it says “Kum gicher
tantzn” not geit gicher tantzen. Also zudik heise latkes not gute heise latkes. Minor differences that don’t change the meaning, and can hardly be called “wrong” since we don’t know which version came first.
You do realize that folk songs morph over time? People add verses, change words, and eventually you have multiple versions. You’d be amazed how different zemiros can be in different benchers. I challenge you to say which is “right” iow as written by the original payyetan.

My accent, btw, is genuine Peilish/Litvish, not the phony “Litvish” spoken by American Yeshiva Bocherim, an accent that never existed in Europe. Hardly anyone uses this accent anymore, seeing as 98% of its speakers were murdered, and the few who survived were vastly outnumbered by those using other accents. YOU may say Azoyner, but I will continue to say Azeiner, rhymes with “complainer.” As far as I’m concerned, YOUR accent is incorrect. We were once a majority, but losing 98% of your cohort changes things. Unfortunately I can’t help being influenced by American Yiddish because I’m surrounded by it on all sides, especially now that my parents’ generation is no longer alive to keep me on the linguistic straight and narrow. So from time to time I find myself to my horror saying “Azoy” instead of “Azey” (rhymes with Hey). But if the accent is going to be wiped off the face of the earth, which it is just about, it’s not going to be my doing. Fighting to keep the accent alive may help vee a teit in bankes but stick to it I will.

Goooten cheidesh. Gittin is a tractate in the Talmud.

Off soap box.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 3:33 pm
PS I might point out that even our davening and our Megillah readings have multiple nuschaot. Folk songs lo kol sheken. None of them is “wrong.”

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 3:34 pm
zaq wrote:
. Transliterated from an old songbook if you must know. Cover missing, probably published in the late 1940s or 50s, called something like “Holiday Songster.”

tantzn” not geit gicher tantzen. Also zudik heise latkes not gute heise latkes. Minor differences that don’t change the meaning, and can hardly be called “wrong” since we don’t know which version came first.
You do realize that folk songs morph over time? People add verses, change words, and eventually you have multiple versions. You’d be amazed how different zemiros can be in different benchers. I challenge you to say which is “right” iow as written by the original payyetan.

My accent, btw, is genuine Peilish/Litvish, not the phony “Litvish” spoken by American Yeshiva Bocherim, an accent that never existed in Europe. Hardly anyone uses this accent anymore, seeing as 98% of its speakers were murdered, and the few who survived were vastly outnumbered by those using other accents. YOU may say Azoyner, but I will continue to say Azeiner, rhymes with “complainer.” As far as I’m concerned, YOUR accent is incorrect. We were once a majority, but losing 98% of your cohort changes things. Unfortunately I can’t help being influenced by American Yiddish because I’m surrounded by it on all sides, especially now that my parents’ generation is no longer alive to keep me on the linguistic straight and narrow. So from time to time I find myself to my horror saying “Azoy” instead of “Azey” (rhymes with Hey). But if the accent is going to be wiped off the face of the earth, which it is just about, it’s not going to be my doing. Fighting to keep the accent alive may help vee a teit in bankes but stick to it I will.

Off soap box.

Thank you for this comment! Very cool.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 3:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any way to listen free??

https://youtu.be/AWlW4Q9BUBw

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 5:37 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
https://youtu.be/AWlW4Q9BUBw

Wohoo! Ty!

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 5:46 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
חנוכה אוי חנוכה א יום טוב א שיינע
א ליסטיגע א פרייליכע נישט דא נאך אזיינע
אלע נעכט מיט דריידלעך שפילן מיר
הייסע פרישע לאטקעס עסן מיר

קומטס קינדער
געשווינדער
די חנוכה ליכטעלעך אנצינדן
זינגט על הניסים
און דאנקט פאר די ניסים
זינגט על הניסים
און דאנקט פאר די ניסים

https://jmusic.me/en/harav-yoe.....62500

There are probably several versions of the song with slight word differences

I remember singing this song in kindergarten
very similar to "Navy's" version
some differences -

הייסע זודיגע לאטקעס עסן מיר אן א שיעור

- next verse געשווינדער is first
- second line - קומט'ס קינדער
(this way it matches the rhythm of the tune)

- "מ'זאגט "על הניסים
-און דאנקן פאר די ניסים

There are 2 additional verses that we sang which wasn't mentioned by posters. Perhaps this part is less known -

יהודה האט פארטריבן
דער רשע, דער רוצח
און האט אין בית המקדש
" געזינגן "למנצח

דער שטאט ירושלים
האט ווידער אויף געלעבט
און צו א נייער לעבן
האט יעדער איד געשטרעבט

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 5:51 pm
English version is:

chanuka oh chanuka, come light the menora,
let's have a party,
we'll all dance the hora,
gather round the table,
I'll give you a treat,
a dreidel to play with and latkes to eat,
and while we are playing,
the candles are burning low,
one for each night, they share their sweet light to remind us of days long ago,
one for each night, they share their sweet light to remind us of days long ago.

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 5:51 pm
zaq wrote:

Off soap box.

Hilarious

We added Hashem near the end... "un dank Gt far di nissim..."
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics