Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Halachot of one sink?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:12 am
Were moving this week and we will only have one sink Sad

We are sefardi if that makes a difference.

Does anyone know the halachos of using one sink?

Do I need one of those metal grates on the bottom one for fleishig one for milchig?
When washing dishes can I use hot water? what if im washing something with onions in it?

obv going to call my husbands rebbe tonight, but just wanted to not sound like an idiot when I call

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:17 am
I recommend you get 2 dishpans and 2 racks to place them on, then switch out accordingly, plastic is fine. (It's actually more sanitary this way imo.)You can fill the dishpan with hot water to soak the dishes, then scrub and rinse off under the faucet with hot water. If something falls into the sink itself, if the sink/water/dish is less than burning hot, it does not get treifed up.
I've always had just 1 sink. It's less convenient but very doable.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:26 am
I have one sink and I keep it simple. The sink is treif and I put nothing inside. Dishes are held while washing and they soak on the counter nearby. Anything that falls in the sink while very hot is out.
I have a tiny kitchen and we eat mostly fleishig. We also use disposables a lot.

I find this preferable to two smaller sinks so close to each other that it's nearly impossible to keep food or liquids from splashing to the wrong side.
Besides some people are extra careful with hot liquids going down one pipe shared by dual sinks when the pipes from either side are kind of short.

But I'm not sefardi so it's worth calling your rav.

SG18

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:58 am
Don't eat the sink. But seriously, as long as you don't use boiling hot water, it's fine.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:02 am
SG2189 wrote:
Don't eat the sink. But seriously, as long as you don't use boiling hot water, it's fine.

lol!
sometimes I boil potatoes, or pasta or rice and the water is boiling and I pour it down the drain...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:02 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I recommend you get 2 dishpans and 2 racks to place them on, then switch out accordingly, plastic is fine. (It's actually more sanitary this way imo.)You can fill the dishpan with hot water to soak the dishes, then scrub and rinse off under the faucet with hot water. If something falls into the sink itself, if the sink/water/dish is less than burning hot, it does not get treifed up.
I've always had just 1 sink. It's less convenient but very doable.

what are dishpans and what are racks?
do you have a link to either?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
what are dishpans and what are racks?
do you have a link to either?

Here you go.

https://www.target.com/p/dishp.....aw.ds

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ste.....aw.ds

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....aw.ds

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:38 pm
I urge you, if you have any say in the matter and if your finances can stretch that far, to replace the single sink with a double. You need not replace the cabinet, just the sink itself. You’ll be glad you did.

If you’re renting and the owner won’t allow it, you have my sympathy. When I moved to a place with a single I paid the landlord the difference in price to have a double installed instead. It was worth every cent.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:44 pm
We just make the whole kitchen meat.

We have a dairy sandwich maker and toaster oven and that's it. No dairy pots or dishes, so nothing gets washed in the sink.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:11 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Here you go.

https://www.target.com/p/dishp.....aw.ds

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ste.....aw.ds

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....aw.ds

thanks! this looks so unsanitary. I bleach my sinks every night. this seems like a breeding ground for germs ...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:11 pm
zaq wrote:
I urge you, if you have any say in the matter and if your finances can stretch that far, to replace the single sink with a double. You need not replace the cabinet, just the sink itself. You’ll be glad you did.

If you’re renting and the owner won’t allow it, you have my sympathy. When I moved to a place with a single I paid the landlord the difference in price to have a double installed instead. It was worth every cent.

rental...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:12 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
We just make the whole kitchen meat.

We have a dairy sandwich maker and toaster oven and that's it. No dairy pots or dishes, so nothing gets washed in the sink.

we mostly eat meat but we do have the occasional bowl of cereal or baked ziti which I use real utensils to mix

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks! this looks so unsanitary. I bleach my sinks every night. this seems like a breeding ground for germs ...

I've never had a problem. I'd rather have one large sink than a double.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:20 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I've never had a problem. I'd rather have one large sink than a double.

got it
so u have two of those plastic bins-one for meat one for dairy?
and if im understanding correctly u put them in the sink, then a grate rack on top and wash ur dishes that way?

I guess ive been spoiled the past 2 years of marriage living with 2 sinks bh!

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
we mostly eat meat but we do have the occasional bowl of cereal or baked ziti which I use real utensils to mix

We use disposables for cereal and milk, and make baked ziti in a foil pan with a plastic spoon.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
got it
so u have two of those plastic bins-one for meat one for dairy?
and if im understanding correctly u put them in the sink, then a grate rack on top and wash ur dishes that way?

I guess ive been spoiled the past 2 years of marriage living with 2 sinks bh!

Rack then the bin on top.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:26 pm
We did the 1 sink thing for the 4 years we were in rentals. Had 3 of these https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....aw.ds for milchig, fleshig, pareve. Sink got emptied and cleaned after each load of dishes and treated it was treif- if I poured boiling in for some reason, I made sure nothing was there to be treifed up

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:27 pm
I made my sink meat and basically dairy disposable. I literally called a rav last night about this bc I want to start using more dairy. He advised me to clean sink and wash dairy with cold water. But ask ylor of course.

SG18

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 3:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
lol!
sometimes I boil potatoes, or pasta or rice and the water is boiling and I pour it down the drain...

The sink doesn't need to be kosher- you're not eating from it. As long as you're not pouring boiling hot milk or meat on opposite dishes, it's fine.

bunchagirlies

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 6:08 pm
great story:
teacher is talking about kashrus some decades ago. Was at a time that many BY girls had family that was less frum than them. Teacher said a great way to know if you can eat at family, is if they have 2 sinks- as if that's necessary. a girl raised her hand and said that her grandparents have 1 sink; can she eat there? her teacher (naively) answered that it's not a good idea. Girl asked if teacher knows who her grandfather is? R' Moshe Feinstein!
with time, we add on "normal", and what becomes "standard", and we then think it's halacha. I know a few people who won't cook on the same stove top for meat and dairy. They grew up with 2 stoves in their mother's kitchen, and they think that's how it has to be. It doesn't! Give it some time, and we'll "need" 2 refrigerators!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen