Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Cost of doughnuts from bakery

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 5:16 pm
I was in the bakery earlier today and I bought a dozen doughnuts. I live near a kosher dunkin doughnuts where they are $1.69. My jaw dropped when the price almost $100. They are $7 per doughnut plus tax.

Full disclosure this happened in the 5towns.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 5:18 pm
Which type of donut? Here in Monsey, a regular, custard, or jelly donut is $1.50-$2. The fancy dairy donuts with all types of stuff added on it, is about $6-$7.

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 5:19 pm
I think a donut is $2.50 here.

hodeez

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 5:22 pm
I think you got the gold plated caviar doughnuts, otherwise that's mental.

Einikel

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 5:26 pm
Bing has a dozen for $13

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 6:09 pm
$7 is the median cost of the fancy flavored/topped donuts (what they like to call artisan/gourmet). If you bought standard donut rings/plain jelly they would be around $1.75 or so.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 6:39 pm
Standard donuts are normal prices.
Artisan donuts or dairy cheesecake are on the crazy high ends.

Optione

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 7:47 pm
Zomicks in Gourmet Glatt Cedarhurst had them for $2.19 a piece recently. But like other posters said, as soon as you want anything beyond basic, the price triples.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 7:54 pm
They were advertising some pop up doughnut store in berrylicious. Initially my husband was going to get but line was out the door.
I picked up today at Glicks. For regular doughnuts (jelly, custard, white/choclate frosting with sprinkles, caramel etc...) was $2 each. The fancy topped ones were $6 a piece. I didn't even look at those.
I must say thier doughnuts were really delicious and definitely better than dunkin. I bought it because it was special for Chanuka. The Fam. Was happy

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 7:59 pm
I sell baked goods. Making donuts is literally backbreaking work. If a bakery has machinery specifically for donuts, it's a little easier. The cost of all materials including food items has risen exponentially this year. Add the cost of Cholov Yisroel items to that mix.

If I sell a donut that I made with Cholov Yisroel filling for $2 or $3 I am losing money on all fronts and not earning at all for my labor.

Bakeries have to pay for the products and the labor and also need to earn some money per donut to make it worth it.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 8:12 pm
Our grocery store variety is $2.50 this year. I remember when they were a dollar; not too long ago.
I don’t blame anyone, food and labor prices have skyrocketed.

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 8:33 pm
Am I really old? I remember buying 2 donuts for $1 on the way to school every morning 🙈

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 8:43 pm
I'm even older maybe. When regular donuts costed .25 and with fillings .35.

In any case, when I buy donuts on chanukah I buy one for each person and then cut them in halves so that someone can have two different kinds instead of being stuck with one whole one, and also so that eating only half a donut can be a choice without feeling bad about wasting an unwanted leftovers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics