Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Story about the malach of hiddur mitzva

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:46 pm
Many years ago I read a story in a book of collected stories, featuring the Ibn Ezra.

The story basically goes that there was a rich man in Padua, Italy who would order many expensive mitzva items, in the name of "hiddur mitzva" but when it came to paying for them he always claimed he didnt have money. He would constantly tell the creditors that he would eventually pay, when he has the money.

Once , he ordered a handcrafted gold menorah and planned a huge party to show off how much he values the mitzva of hadlakas neiros chanuka. The Ibn Ezra (who was living in Italy at the time) heard about this and instructed the silversmith not to hand over the menorah until every last lira was paid. The rich man was forced to actually pay for the menorah before he received it, but that night, the menorah wouldn't light. He went back to the silversmith the next day to demand a refund, but the silversmith insisted there's nothing wrong with the menorah, and he proved it in the shop. But at home, the rich man could not get it to light.

They went to the Ibn Ezra who explained that the Malach of hiddur mitzva was preventing the menorah from being lit, because the rich man was using the excuse of hidur mitzva to cheat merchents of their hard earned money. In the end, he Paid all his debts and was able to light the menora.

Did anyone ever hear this story, and if yes, would you know what the source is?

TiA

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:35 pm
Bump

mommy9

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:05 pm
It's in a book Light stories. There was a magazine a long time ago called Light magazine, and there's a book of collected stories from it.

mommy9

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:07 pm
I just realized you probably want to know where they got the story. Sorry idk.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:09 pm
mommy9 wrote:
It's in a book Light stories. There was a magazine a long time ago called Light magazine, and there's a book of collected stories from it.

Yup, that's where I read it too. It was written as a play.
My question is if there is a source to it? I googled and came up with nothing. I'm wondering of its true or completely made up.

SYA

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:24 pm
Have heard it but don't know the source
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics