Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2 yr old refuses the antibiotics

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 7:17 pm
He refuses to take the medication for his ear infection. It definitely bothers him however he won’t swallow the medicine just spits it out. What should I do? We’re flying Wednesday evening. He’s been on medication since Friday

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 7:21 pm
I mixed my 2 year olds antibiotics with juice like Snapple or gatorade

amother
Green

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:03 pm
If you do that, make sure it’s mixed into just a little juice and not a whole cup or you will need to push them to drink the whole cup

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:11 pm
My dr said mixing takes away from effectiveness. When my kids used to do that I would ask the dr to switch the antibiotics. There was one specific one that the pediatrician loved cuz it's the most effective but it's chalky and gross for kids.

amother
Celeste

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:41 pm
the first few doses we had to forcibly get down my baby’s throat (one of us held her, the other gave her a bit from the syringe at a time). Right after we gave her a tiny treat (tiny m&m or jelly belly). After three or four doses she began to take it nicely because she knew she’d get a treat after.

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:47 pm
Squirt it into his cheek instead of directly getting him to swallow it. Reward with applause or a treat each time he swallows.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:56 pm
We have been trying to squirt in cheek, back of throat and sticking paci in right after so he swallows. But he just spit it out. We offered candy, chocolate, ice cream… did it work. What did work was putting it into his bottle with non watered down grape juice. Thank you for suggesting it!! He never drank his bottle faster! Was so happy to get something so sweet

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We have been trying to squirt in cheek, back of throat and sticking paci in right after so he swallows. But he just spit it out. We offered candy, chocolate, ice cream… did it work. What did work was putting it into his bottle with non watered down grape juice. Thank you for suggesting it!! He never drank his bottle faster! Was so happy to get something so sweet

BH you found a way! Refuah shelema.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:52 pm
Ask your pediatrician if you can try garlic drops or mr drops and have him recheck ears on Tuesday before you fly
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics