Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DC picking at lips
Previous  1  2

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 6:56 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
What is considered a high dose of NAC that can work?
1800-2400mg 3x a day. Pharmanac is supposed to be the most effective form / brand.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 6:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am well versed in sensory issues because of other family members.
We do also have a tendency to ADHD, this child is kind of borderline in that - functioning well and not in need of a diagnosis but our familiarity with ADHD is helpful to this child, if you get what I mean.
It does seem like it could be in the OCD category.
Is there something other than medication that could help with dopamine problems? Seems extreme to start playing with meds over something like skin picking but it is a real problem.

This child does do well with putty/fidgets but you can't keep those going ALL the time and your face is there literally all the time. So there's a constant going back to picking at their face. And no I can't just leave it alone - it's very unhygienic, could cause harm, and has social consequences. I did try ignoring it for a while because I worried that pointing it out would cause anxiety and make it worse, but I gave up on that because it wasn't stopping and it really needs to.
https://selfhacked.com/blog/wa.....mine/

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:28 pm
There are fidget toys that are worn like a necklace and are therefore available 24/7. Personally I’d try one of those first.

salt

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:24 am
In Israel there is this bitter tasting clear nail varnish called 'mara' that you put on your nails. Every time you put them in your mouth you get this disgusting taste and immediately remove them.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:40 am
salt wrote:
In Israel there is this bitter tasting clear nail varnish called 'mara' that you put on your nails. Every time you put them in your mouth you get this disgusting taste and immediately remove them.

This doesn't stop real nail biting or nail picking. It's just for small children with the habit. And even if it does work, the biting will be replaced with picking.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics