Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Uplay or music n minutes?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:53 pm
My kids don’t like keyboard lessons but they do want to explore playing on their own. Has anyone tried both the uplay and the music n minutes programs and can tell me which one would be better. They’ve learned how to read notes but still get confused often. Not sure if I should switch them to the color coding method.

imasinger

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:22 pm
I don't know the programs, but you can find lots of places to do flashcards and flashcard games to reinforce notation knowledge.

Don't give up! Switching to color coding is like saying a kid can only read in one language, and should do all others in transliteration.

happytobemom

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 11:49 pm
My daughter loves Uplay. We bought her that until we decide we can afford piano lessons, (donations anyone? Smile ) and she's really playing. The one thing that bothered me about it (I took piano lessons as a kid and learned to play by note) is that it teachers by letter (CDE...) and not by real notes. It's also missing the rhythm that real sheet music has. But I think they came out with a newer edition (mine's a few years old) that combines letters and notes.

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Dec 13 2021, 1:49 am
What’s the name of the color coding method?
I’ve been wanting to know this for a while.
Tia!

happytobemom

Post Mon, Dec 13 2021, 1:52 am
amother [ Holly ] wrote:
What’s the name of the color coding method?
I’ve been wanting to know this for a while.
Tia!

Music in Minutes

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 1:59 am
Thank you!

girlishmom

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 9:25 am
Uplay

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 9:52 am
I'm not into any method of learning to play without notes.

The way my girls learned to play is, I bought music books with Jewish songs (there's an Israeli series I got at my local Judaica store....there are some Journeys songbooks and Dveikus songbooks....I sometimes find sheet music of Jewish songs online and print them off....) and with a few pointers, they took off. I show them chords, and how to apply them to the songs they are playing.

This method has worked very well for us. My girls are playing and reading notes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics