Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Anyone try Bassline Online Keyboard lessons
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:45 am
My 8 year old son is very motivated and bright bh. He does not like sports and he wants to play an instrument but I am not sure if he actually has any natural talent or not. I bought him a keyboard for Chanukah and would like to see if he really wants to pursue it before I start with the time and money of lessons. Did anyone every try the online keyboard lessons from Bassline? Is it a good start and then if he actually enjoys it and is interested I will then pay for private lessons?

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:47 am
My kids are doing it.
Need to be motivated.
They enjoy it
Very keyboard based- beats,chords
Doesn’t learn to read actual notes but does learn letters (CD..)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 6:16 pm
Anyone else?

imasinger

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:12 pm
I believe passionately that music belongs to everyone. You don't need talent, any more than you need talent to learn Torah. They're both skills that develop through discipline and hard work. Both benefit from positive reinforcement.

An online program works for very disciplined, self motivated kids, who are good at powering through frustration, and following instructions carefully.

I looked at the site, and I think his prices for individual instruction are on the high side. You might do better to find someone good but a little less pricey, and spring for in person lesson from the start.

Last edited by imasinger on Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Simple1

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:31 pm
My nephew does the USB and recommended it for me. Not sure because my child asked for in person lessons which is expensive.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:55 pm
My son did the online lessons. It was a great way to 'test' his interest before investing in individual lessons. Each week a new lesson was added to his account. It was a video of Mr. Bassman giving the directions along with the notes to print out for that particular song. We were able to cancel at any time and I think it was only in the $13 range per week. He stayed motivated as I told him in advance that if he is not practicing or logging-in we can cancel.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:23 pm
We did the USB lessons which did not require an internet connection, after one round of group lessons which was 8 weeks of 45 minute instruction once weekly. The group lessons were amazing and my son really picked up beautifully. He went from knowing nothing about keyboard to recognizing and playing chords and melody with a beat and knew how to play some songs pretty well. We continued with the USB as there was a wait for the advanced group class and he is doing very well with it as it is the same format as the group classes. The group classes were reasonably priced for what we got and they were structured well and he got that one on one individualized attention. I certainly prefer this method of learning to play over notes as my son would not have patience to learn that way. The USB lessons are clearly given over and super organized and the price is incredible.

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:27 pm
amother [ Oatmeal ] wrote:
We did the USB lessons which did not require an internet connection, after one round of group lessons which was 8 weeks of 45 minute instruction once weekly. The group lessons were amazing and my son really picked up beautifully. He went from knowing nothing about keyboard to recognizing and playing chords and melody with a beat and knew how to play some songs pretty well. We continued with the USB as there was a wait for the advanced group class and he is doing very well with it as it is the same format as the group classes. The group classes were reasonably priced for what we got and they were structured well and he got that one on one individualized attention. I certainly prefer this method of learning to play over notes as my son would not have patience to learn that way. The USB lessons are clearly given over and super organized and the price is incredible.

Do you keep the UCB once you are done paying lessons you can watch later. We are doing online snd I’m wondering if usb is better for that. (Like we missed tons of lessons for various reasons (simchos, yom tov, camp, travel) but I keep paying but we are many lessons behind. I don’t want to stop paying bec will lose all those lessons I think)

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:36 pm
My 9 year old son is doing it now. It’s only been a few weeks but I think it’s going well. He basically has learned about the c and e chord and how to play a song with his right hand.
My older son (teen) is professional with music (took lessons elsewhere when he was younger). He said he thinks shmuel bassman is doing it very well. I was worried because the lessons were quite short but my son said they’re being taught in a good way and this is the way to go. We’re doing the usb and it’s 12.95 a week. They text you a code to unlock each weeks lesson. I love not having to schlep out to drive him to lessons and he seems to be slowly learning. In another few weeks he should be playing with both hands. I can let you know how it goes.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:41 pm
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
My 9 year old son is doing it now. It’s only been a few weeks but I think it’s going well. He basically has learned about the c and e chord and how to play a song with his right hand.
My older son (teen) is professional with music (took lessons elsewhere when he was younger). He said he thinks shmuel bassman is doing it very well. I was worried because the lessons were quite short but my son said they’re being taught in a good way and this is the way to go. We’re doing the usb and it’s 12.95 a week. They text you a code to unlock each weeks lesson. I love not having to schlep out to drive him to lessons and he seems to be slowly learning. In another few weeks he should be playing with both hands. I can let you know how it goes.

How long is each lesson? Your 9 yr old son started with zero experience snd after a few weeks can already play a song?

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:54 pm
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
Do you keep the UCB once you are done paying lessons you can watch later. We are doing online snd I’m wondering if usb is better for that. (Like we missed tons of lessons for various reasons (simchos, yom tov, camp, travel) but I keep paying but we are many lessons behind. I don’t want to stop paying bec will lose all those lessons I think)

Both online and the USB have an option to pay 10 dollars a month to freeze your subscription from what I understood. You can have access to previous lessons without adding new ones.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:57 pm

I'm seriously considering this.

Can I ask: where are the group lessons?

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:59 pm
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:
I'm seriously considering this.

Can I ask: where are the group lessons?

Lakewood

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 12:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How long is each lesson? Your 9 yr old son started with zero experience snd after a few weeks can already play a song?

Lessons 2-8 you learn a simple song each time. Mary had a little lamb, London bridges, type.
Next 9 lessons is one complex Jewish song. Learn chords, beats. When done can play amazing song with beats, intros, both hands, high and low.

After that songs go faster, like 4 lessons a song

Classes are very short. Each class comes with a printout and homework.
I started with a few kids. Most dropped it. Now I have a 10 and 12 yr old girls going strong at around lesson 18. They enjoy it. (There is a sliding scale for multiple kids)

I know someone going to the group classes. They did learn amazing and play amazing. The curriculum is similar.

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 12:06 am
Both online and the USB have an option to pay 10 dollars a month to freeze your subscription from what I understood. You can have access to previous lessons without adding new ones.

How is usb lessons disabled. I assumed once it was unlocked it’s always unlocked.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 12:16 am
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
How is usb lessons disabled. I assumed once it was unlocked it’s always unlocked.

The lessons you unlocked previously remain unlocked for the time you have a subscription but I think you have to return the USB to avoid getting charged when you are done with the lessons. I received a sheet with information when I signed up and that was one of the points mentioned. What I understood was that you are signing up for was a subscription and that the lessons are accessible as long as you are paying the weekly fee or that 10 dollar monthly maintenance fee. I also spoke to someone there who told me to print all the materials that were printable and keep it in a looseleaf so that we would have it even after we return the USB. The materials (song sheets and homework sheets) are the same as what my son received when he attended the group lessons.

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 12:28 am
My husband has been giving music lessons for years. I totally understand that not everyone can afford higher prices but you should realize you get what you pay for.

For example, if it takes 3 or 4 lessons to learn a song that is really a very long time. Most of my husband's students learn their first song (playing with both hands) in the first lesson. So $13 times 3 or 4 lessons isn't so cheap anymore. And the lessons are super super short. So you really are paying a premium price per minute for non live teaching.

Again, I don't want to put down his method. But I want to make people aware of the marketing aspect. If you really figure out the dollars and cents and time you are getting it's not that cheap.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Apr 19 2023, 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 3:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, started with zero experience.
They learn one new song (right hand) each lesson. The last lesson was a longer song divided into 2 lessons for low part and high part. There is a printout for each lesson with the song and the fingers/letters to use. What I like about this is that even though each lesson is very short, we are not paying double and waiting while the instructor writes out the song which is what they usually do. Here the song is typed out before each lesson. Also, they come out of each lesson feeling very good about themselves that they learned how to play a song. There is an option to do 2 lessons a week but I’m assuming that’s for a child with a little background or highly talented and motivated.
Btw I asked almost the same questions before I signed up. You can call shmuel bassman and he will answer everything for you. I was hesitant that my child was 9 and didn’t know how to play at all but he said this is the exact age the usb is geared to and he was right.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 7:59 am
Lakewood

That I know Smile

What area?

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 8:24 am
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:
That I know Smile