Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Places to visit in and around Jerusalem

Chanie

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 6:34 pm
I'm going to Israel in a little over a week. I'm making up an itinarary. My dh has never been to Israel before, and I want to give him the best Israel experience.
I'll be 2 days in Jerusalem (and possibly more after Yom Tov)

So far I have listed:

Kotel
Western Wall tunnels (which I got to find out where to make reservations for, I heard you need it there)
Meah Sharim
Old City (walk around)
Ben Yehuda

Where else should I take him. My dh is not a museum type of person, but if there is a museum that a must see, then we will do it. However NOT Yad Vashem, dont think my 3 kids are old enough for that.
Someone told my dh that he has to see a "castle" shul, does anyone know what shul this is, supposedly a very big, richly built shul that you can notice from far away.

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 10:55 pm
Take the bus to Kever Rochel and Maarat HaMachpela, def musts.

hila

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 12:41 am
If you want a fun thing to dowith teh kids in Jerusalem- "minheret hazman" as sort of Disney ride through history of Jerusalem, moving chairs and bouncing, and a 30 trip with actors on the screen.

Also Mini Israel is fun - a miniature model of modern Israel

Go up to Montifiore's windmill and explain teh devlopment of modern Israel

The burnt house in the Rova.

The Ramban Shul in the Rova - if it is open yet - jsut got rebuilt.

For light relief - The Safari in Ramat Gan if you have a car.

The biblical Zoo - Malcha - and take a train to Tel Aviv from near there.
IF YOU GO TO THE zoo on Pesach - get there at 9am otherewise it is PACKED out with human wildlife. It is the IN Chareidi place to go on Pesach

Come and visit in Gush Etsion - sound and light show, tiyulim, Judaica stores, good pizza (not on Pesach) , good cafes, and probably other stuff on chol hamoed . I did not look yet.

Enjoy your time here

Imaonwheels

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 12:46 am
I second mini Israel. My kids went with their big bro and wife and loved it. There are also bumper cars nearby.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 5:05 am
Minheret hazman, mini Israel and the zoos rock!
You have also the Luna Park near Bne Brak.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 6:55 am
Hila- what safari are you talking about?

and listening to all these suggestions sounds like your going to Florida and want to get in as many attractions as possible! It's a holy place, meet holy people. Make the trip a difference in your husbands life and your kids. When they come back they should be different.

hila

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 7:17 am
If I were coming as an adult for the first time - I agree - you can make it a holy experience and walk and see endlessly. Kids will get whiney and bored quickly

The Safari is in Rmaat Gan. near kfar maccabia

Shabbat SHalom

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 10:57 am
ok, I don't have kids yet so I guess youre right.

And can you tell me more abt this safari?? what kind of animals? It's a drive thru?

Imaonwheels

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 11:48 am
For the kedusha, after the kotel, kever Rochel and Maarat HaMachpelah, there is Kever Dovid HaMelelech, Shimon HaTzaddik and Shmuel HaNavi. There are several historic shuls in the old city that Torah has returned to them since '67.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 12:03 pm
RivkiA wrote:

And can you tell me more abt this safari?? what kind of animals? It's a drive thru?

The Safari has an initial drive-thru part (you see zebras, hippos, rhinos, Flamingos (if it's not too late in the season) etc). roaming freely, and then you get out and there is a zoo (lions, tigers, giraffes, reptiles, monkey family etc). We were there on a lovely day in January - not too hot, not too cold - and it was absolutely lovely. There were maybe 5 other cars.

I am the type of person who will not go ANYWHERE touristy on Chol HaMoed because I can't deal with the crowds. Wherever you go, try and get there by 9, before everyone else otherwise it's quite an experience as Hila pointed out.

Imaonwheels

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 1:40 pm
If you come with out a car their is a minibus that takes you through. This is what we do because we don't have a car and we usually come with a lot of family.

Strawberry

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 2:06 pm
[quote="Chanie] Someone told my dh that he has to see a "castle" shul, does anyone know what shul this is, supposedly a very big, richly built shul that you can notice from far away.[/quote]

Belz

Chanie

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 5:07 pm
Imaonwheels wrote:

Would love to visit these places. Do you know where I can get the bus info. Do buses go regularly?

Chanie

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 5:13 pm
Strawberry wrote:
Belz

Is this something visitable, or as I heard, this shul is only open on shabbos?

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 12:33 am
Chanie wrote:
Imaonwheels wrote:

Would love to visit these places. Do you know where I can get the bus info. Do buses go regularly?

Public buses:

Kever Rochel #163 from tachana mercazit, 3rd floor. Yeshasettler knows their timetables better than me. If you want I will pm you the email of a friend who is involved in women going as groups and having a shiur as well.

Maarat HaMachpela #160 from the same platform but you have to ask if it goes to the Maarah in Hevron or stops at Kiryat Arba. Around every half hour. I used to do children's tours in Chevron.

If you spend a Shabbos in Midreshet Chevron (very reasonably priced) you will get a tour as part of the deal. They have hostels (family rooms).both in Kiryat Arba and the Avraham Avinu neighborhood as well. You should also see the Avraham Avinu shul, kever Rut v'Yishai, Avner ben Ner and others. In addition there is the museum of Tarpat, Tel Rumeidah and the 2 cemetaries where many famoud rabbonim are buried.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics