Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
In my child's playgroup...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:19 am
Hi,

I am not sure what to think of this. Can anyone please share their thoughts, thanks...

My child is going to a 2yr old playgroup, the morah is great, she loves the kids and is truly warm. her assistant is full-time and is also amazing! I am very happy sending my child there.

Here's the thing:
The morah just announced that for personal reasons she is going to be taking off one day each week! The regular assistant will be there, and she is also hiring a sub for that day each week. The sub has been there very frequently, she is a mom of one of the playgroup kids and I really like and I see that the kids do too.
Just, something doesn't sit right with me. I signed up for this main morah, not for my child to have the assistants. However good the assistants are, I just don't feel great about this.
But of course, I can't pull my child out at this point so basically I just don't get a choice in the matter.
A friend who I spoke to can't understand why I'm bothered, she says: the assistant and sub are both good, this is just what happens when you send your kid to school. It would be the same in any school, the director gets to decide if changes are made like this....

Thoughts please? TIA

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:34 am
I'd assume that something came up and the morah must take the day off. You said the sub and assistant are great. As long as the kids are happy, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:40 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I'd assume that something came up and the morah must take the day off. You said the sub and assistant are great. As long as the kids are happy, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Same. There are so many horror stories about morot who are negligent at best, or even downright dangerous or abusive. If I found a place where my child was happy and safe, I'd keep my child's best interest in mind, regardless of what I thought of the policies.

If one day off means that the main morah comes back happier, more refreshed, and more energetic, it could mean that she's much better with the kids for 4 days, than if she worked for all 5 days and then got burned out.

Morot are humans, too!

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:44 am
Is she expecting? She may have Dr appointments once a week especially if hi risk.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:56 am
I hear that you were disappointed, I would be as well, but she has a good replacement. It is not that She is just leaving the assistant alone.
I had that situation almost 20 years ago, when the Morah was going for fertility treatments. I took off one day a week at work, about eight years ago, but my mother had chemo/radiation one day a week and I went with her. People have wives and things that come up. She’s being very responsible. I am impressed by her from what you were telling me

#Happymom

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:59 am
In Israel it is extremely common. Everyone there takes off one day a week.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:09 am
Totally normal , as long as adequate replacements then you don’t have a valid complaint. Sometimes people need therapy or a weekly doctors appointment or just time to take care of things. Not everyone can manage full time without getting burned out, especially if they have kids.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:16 am
Perhaps something came up and either she or one of her children now has a weekly appointment, but she doesn’t want to share that much info. I think as long as you are happy with the moros who are there (it doesn’t really matter if they are assistants, subs, whatever- when they are there and she is not, they are the moros) and your child is happy, I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s understandable to be upset, but I don’t think it’s something you need to be upset about, or dwell on too much.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:25 am
Agreed with other posters.
And like your friend said, it happens often in schools that Morah’s go on maternity leave etc., and your child may have a mishmosh of different subs for 6-8 weeks. You still pay full tuition but it’s definitely not the same. An annoying part of life.

When my dd was 3, just a few months into the school year her Morah went on bed rest and was out the rest of the school year. I think it was in December. The assistant became the main Morah… but they never got a new assistant. They had one sub for a few weeks but only half the day, then another sub a few days here and there… a few months into this arrangement the Morah (the assistant who took over) was understandably at her breaking point and started leaving every day at 3 I believe it was. My kid was there until 5:15. So on Mondays she and a few others went to one classroom, on Tuesdays to another, etc. it was a mess. But there was nothing to do about it. So I guess be grateful that all those with your child and capable, it’s basically stable , and she’s happy!

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:42 am
I had a similar experience when my child was in playgroup.
I was very disappointed, but my child was happy, the new teacher was pretty ok, so I finished the year there...
Disappointments happen, not much to do, but I get you OP.

Stars

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:46 am
That wouldn’t bother me.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:04 am
Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate it

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:25 pm
I'm a Morah and started taking off once a week this year. It's life changing, and definitely makes me a better, calmer Morah! I've been feeling very burnt out after doing this for so many years. I really really love what I do, and adore the kids, but I needed a breather desperately. I also have my regular assistant in on my day off, with a Morah that I know and trust that comes every week. kids know her, and she knows them, and it's really working out well. I do have one student with severe anxiety issues, so it did take him some time to settle with the idea, but he's fine by now.
If you're happy with the place and staff overall, I'd say don't worry at all. Sounds like the Morah knew how to work it out well.

EBY

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 12:59 pm
Zecharya for the haftorah about the menora
"לא בחיל ולא בכח כי אם ברוחי"
It's such a beautiful message that comes from the menora.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers